Mudweighting (northern Broads)

simonwootton

What is the general advice on how to mudweight?

We had an embarrassing incident at the Beccles Wooden Boat Show last year when we were the photographer boat. We threw the mudweight in (yes it was attached to the boat before anyone says anything!) and didnt realise we had gradually drifted into the main ‘shipping lane’   We hastily pulled the mudweight back up and skulked back to the original position hoping no one had noticed... I seem to remember some advice on where we went wrong but I cant find  it and think with chaos about to begin, we need to be able to safely mudweight 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, vanessan said:

Simon - my apologies for asking whether it was north or south you wanted when the clue is in the topic title! :facepalm:

I know a few people use mudweights fore and aft, to hold the boat steady, and moor close to a bank but not touching it. You obviously need to make sure there is sufficient depth for this and it probably wouldn’t be sensible in a strong/gusty wind. I am assuming you are hiring so you could ask the boatyard to provide you with a second mudweight. I’m sure if this is a naff suggestion, someone will very quickly say so. 

Thanks Vannessan - yes, we've had a 2nd mudweight before which worked really well :-)

On 29/06/2020 at 14:27, TheQ said:

Most of the time you can get a mooring along St Benets Straight without mudweighting.. and walk from there to the Dog Inn Ludham.

I didn't realise you could get to the Dog Inn from there - great suggestion, thanks :-)

2 hours ago, Lulu said:

What is the general advice on how to mudweight?

We had an embarrassing incident at the Beccles Wooden Boat Show last year when we were the photographer boat. We threw the mudweight in (yes it was attached to the boat before anyone says anything!) and didnt realise we had gradually drifted into the main ‘shipping lane’   We hastily pulled the mudweight back up and skulked back to the original position hoping no one had noticed... I seem to remember some advice on where we went wrong but I cant find  it and think with chaos about to begin, we need to be able to safely mudweight 

Hi Lulu

A couple of things. Did you let out most or all of the full length of the rope attached to your mudweight? Beginners often keep the rope too short - it is best for the pull on the mudweight to be as horizontal as possible (within reason, of course!). Also, when lowering the mudweight once you get it at or close to water level let it go all at once rather than lowering gently. That gives it a chance to bed into the mud.

Lastly, was this on Oulton Broad by any chance? It's the only place we've ever dragged, I suspect the bottom isn't as muddy as most other spots, at least in places!

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Arti said:

Hi Lulu

A couple of things. Did you let out most or all of the full length of the rope attached to your mudweight? Beginners often keep the rope too short - it is best for the pull on the mudweight to be as horizontal as possible (within reason, of course!). Also, when lowering the mudweight once you get it at or close to water level let it go all at once rather than lowering gently. That gives it a chance to bed into the mud.

Lastly, was this on Oulton Broad by any chance? It's the only place we've ever dragged, I suspect the bottom isn't as muddy as most other spots, at least in places!

Thank you Arti. I cant remember what we did to be honest but will use your advice. Yes it was on Oulton Broad :) 

Of course you can drag - but only in exceptional circumstances!

My only real advice is go up the the windward side of the Broad to get some shelter if necessary, but don't be tempted to leave the aft mudweight down overnight ( if you have one and you are using it to keep the boat steady whilst fishing) - just move it to the front and then you will have two down - unlikely to shift with two down I promise you!!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1