Hello – What Is The Perfect Broads Boat?

2 hours ago, ZimbiIV said:

The perfect boat for you will not be for someone else.

The perfect boat is-

Cheaper than you want to spend.

Costs less to run than you hoped for.

Is cheaper to more in your ideal marina.

Never has a fault.

Moors like a dream.

If you find that boat.

You then have another problem....

Where to stable unicorn that comes with it!

Go do some fender kicking the right boat will probably choose you, don't just look at the broads the cost of transport can be less than Broads premium.

paul

Somebody should frame that! Wise words indeed! Particularly No 1 :default_norty:

• Like 2

6 hours ago, oldgregg said:

A centre cockpit is the ideal boat for the Broads really, but remember a dual steer Broom Skipper will have a fixed roof so you lose the benefits of being able to get under bridges.

But the advantage of a fixed roof is that it will be warmer in the winter than canvas if you intend to use it all year.  The trade off is obviously that it cannot pass under all of the bridges, which is where a centre cockpit with a sliding canopy gives the best of both worlds.  However, they can be draughty and there could be extra costs for repairs to the roof or winch, should issues arise.

We looked at an Alpha 32 before settling for our sedan cruiser and found that it needed attention to the canopy runners to allow the windows to the rear to close properly and some strengthening where it had become deformed by years of hirers sitting on the canopy during its time in a hire fleet.  Estimated costs for repairs to the roof were well into four figures.
As has been previously stated, the ‘perfect’ boat probably doesn’t exist.  Every style has compromises and the decision as to which of your requirements you can live without has to be your decision.
We opted for a Broom 29 Sedan, which due to its airdraft does prevent us from visiting parts of the Broads, but it is usable through the year, gives a great view from the helm and is cosy even in winter so to us, the advantages outweigh the disadvantages.

Beautiful boats @Lulu and @CambridgeCabby  I will have to come back and ask about cleaning and maintenance routines as your boats all look beautifully cared for! The Broom Skipper is cracking and I love the layout and sense of space and light inside. BUT the lack of stern access would be difficult with the dogs when stern moored. It would make it difficult for one person to take both dogs off for early morning/late night walks, I think, so that is another one to cross off the list. It seems a bit stupid to put the dogs so much at the centre of our decision making but those are the kind of practical issues that could become a real pain. I want to make it as easy as possible for us to use the boat that we buy. 

The Ocean 30 is indeed lovely and certainly could be a possibility in the right condition at the right price. This one is gorgeous, though out of our budget (and sold!) https://www.nya.co.uk/boats-for-sale/aquafibre-ocean-30-2/

As you say @Mouldy, canvas v fixed roof is an important consideration for all-weather use, and another point leaning us towards a bathtub. Thanks for noting the risk of damage to centre sliding canopies from hire crews sitting on the roof!  Something to bear in mind. 

We have actually been returning to the idea of a Hampton Safari, mostly because it feels like a 'safe' choice, even if the space is limited and it's likely that we'd grow out of it quite quickly. The Mk III is the one we would prefer, for the bow well. I know it has a sunroof rather than canopy but that's ok (and avoids the types of canopy problems Mouldy mentions above). What are the downsides of a Safari other than lack of space? 

10 hours ago, Mouldy said:

But the advantage of a fixed roof is that it will be warmer in the winter than canvas if you intend to use it all year.  The trade off is obviously that it cannot pass under all of the bridges, which is where a centre cockpit with a sliding canopy gives the best of both worlds.  However, they can be draughty and there could be extra costs for repairs to the roof or winch, should issues arise.

We looked at an Alpha 32 before settling for our sedan cruiser and found that it needed attention to the canopy runners to allow the windows to the rear to close properly and some strengthening where it had become deformed by years of hirers sitting on the canopy during its time in a hire fleet.  Estimated costs for repairs to the roof were well into four figures.
As has been previously stated, the ‘perfect’ boat probably doesn’t exist.  Every style has compromises and the decision as to which of your requirements you can live without has to be your decision.
We opted for a Broom 29 Sedan, which due to its airdraft does prevent us from visiting parts of the Broads, but it is usable through the year, gives a great view from the helm and is cosy even in winter so to us, the advantages outweigh the disadvantages.

We opted for an aft cockpit cruiser with canvas so that we could remove the hoods in good weather and be in the fresh air and fold the arch to achieve a low air draft of 6'6" for inland use. The covers also provide good shelter in wet weather and with the diesel heating on can be used even in cold weather although the air draft of 8'6" with the hoods up does mean that we occasionally have to get wet when we need to get under a low bridge :default_rolleyes:

As someone else has already pointed out what is right for one person is not right for another.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, boatsboatsboats said:

Beautiful boats @Lulu and @CambridgeCabby  I will have to come back and ask about cleaning and maintenance routines as your boats all look beautifully cared for! The Broom Skipper is cracking and I love the layout and sense of space and light inside. BUT the lack of stern access would be difficult with the dogs when stern moored. It would make it difficult for one person to take both dogs off for early morning/late night walks, I think, so that is another one to cross off the list. It seems a bit stupid to put the dogs so much at the centre of our decision making but those are the kind of practical issues that could become a real pain. I want to make it as easy as possible for us to use the boat that we buy. 

The Ocean 30 is indeed lovely and certainly could be a possibility in the right condition at the right price. This one is gorgeous, though out of our budget (and sold!) https://www.nya.co.uk/boats-for-sale/aquafibre-ocean-30-2/

As you say @Mouldy, canvas v fixed roof is an important consideration for all-weather use, and another point leaning us towards a bathtub. Thanks for noting the risk of damage to centre sliding canopies from hire crews sitting on the roof!  Something to bear in mind. 

We have actually been returning to the idea of a Hampton Safari, mostly because it feels like a 'safe' choice, even if the space is limited and it's likely that we'd grow out of it quite quickly. The Mk III is the one we would prefer, for the bow well. I know it has a sunroof rather than canopy but that's ok (and avoids the types of canopy problems Mouldy mentions above). What are the downsides of a Safari other than lack of space? 

Have you considered something like this one:

https://www.norfolkboatsales.co.uk/used-boats/sheerline-24-brink-of-peace-2-608.asp

It has been for sale for a long while now so I strongly suspect that you would get it within budget and it will hold it's money well. No bow well but it does have good stern access.

13 minutes ago, Cal said:

Have you considered something like this one:

https://www.norfolkboatsales.co.uk/used-boats/sheerline-24-brink-of-peace-2-608.asp

It has been for sale for a long while now so I strongly suspect that you would get it within budget and it will hold it's money well. No bow well but it does have good stern access.

Yes! I have given this one quite a lot of consideration. My main concerns are the price and condition, as you both point out. It's out of budget at current price and would need to be substantially cheaper for us to be interested as we could get something much bigger - albeit older- at the top of our budget. I also wondered why it hasn't gone yet. With boats flying off the shelves at the moment (so to speak) it starts to look worrying when something otherwise appealing hasn't shifted. If anyone knows more about this one I'm certainly interested in it.    

11 minutes ago, marshman said:

Its been in the fleet a long long time and might be looking a bit tired which may be why its not gone sooner?

It has been in the fleet a long while but certainly every time we have seen it out and about it has looked as well turned out as any other boat from that yard. I'm fairly certain there is a deal to be done on that boat that would bring it under the OP's budget and it has the makings of a lovely little boat with a bit of cleaning and tidying up.

It is perhaps being overlooked because people are buying bigger older boats for a similar price. You have to be in the market for a smaller boat for it to appeal.

• Like 1

.....external appearance doesn't tell everything. Someone who's opinion I totally respect looked at a boat recently. Looked OK from the outside but not good internally. It's not easy. An expert can spot flaws which are not immediately obvious. 

3 minutes ago, NorfolkNog said:

I've a feeling this was the only boat on the Broads with a 1 rating but could be wrong. Good boats sell almost before they are advertised. If it's hanging around it will be for good reason. 

No the Breakaway we hired from the same yard had a similarly low rating when they were hiring it as a holiday cruiser rather than a day boat, in fact I think at one point it had a no star rating, and that was an alright budget boat. In fact it got us into boating so it can't have been that bad!

NBS also have for sale a Hardy/Barnes ex hire boat which if you like the sedan style boat is a good boat for the money. Again this has hung around unsold for a while. It just depends what people are looking to buy at the time.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, NorfolkNog said:

I've a feeling this was the only boat on the Broads with a 1 rating but could be wrong. Good boats sell almost before they are advertised. If it's hanging around it will be for good reason. 

That was my assumption!  Of course it becomes a reinforcing circle then for the seller so does make it more likely a deal could be done.  As you say, it's not just about how it looks and we'd need an expert assessment to check condition - but wouldn't want to waste money on a survey for a boat where there is an obvious and glaring reason that it's not selling. 

A Hampton Safari would be much cheaper to buy and has a clearer market for resale. This one might simply be falling into the wrong price/size bracket, but that still leaves us with the same problem if or when we come to move it on.  I'm still potentially interested but suspect there's a problem there and I've just not identified exactly what it is yet!   

• Like 1

I’ve been aboard Brink of Peace , the internal photos (purple cloth) are of a newer similar craft , she is certainly a bit tired but a clean better condition Sheerline-24 would fetch a lot more.

That said Barnes hire boats are usually maintained extremely well mechanically and if she were bought for the right price she would be a good usable boat ripe for modernisation 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CambridgeCabby said:

I’ve been aboard Brink of Peace , the internal photos (purple cloth) are of a newer similar craft , she is certainly a bit tired but a clean better condition Sheerline-24 would fetch a lot more.

That said Barnes hire boats are usually maintained extremely well mechanically and if she were bought for the right price she would be a good usable boat ripe for modernisation 

That's good to hear.  I might have a look. I have seen others going for much higher prices so recognise it could be a good buy if it is structurally & mechanically sound.  And if I don't view it, this thread might inspire someone else to!

Just now, boatsboatsboats said:

Many thanks for looking for me, though we are not brave/knowledgeable/rich enough to go for a wooden boat.  GRP for us!   

On Norfolk broads boat sales they have a couple of Hamptons and boat shed have a good variety

If you're thinking about bathtub types but also a similar sort of external size to a MK3 Hampton, what about a Calypso? They're huge inside for their size.

Richardson's are selling a Serene Gem here - it's the only one with a price on it. The photos on the sales website are a bit broken, so take a look on the hire listing.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, oldgregg said:

If you're thinking about bathtub types but also a similar sort of size to a Hampton, what about a Calypso? They're huge inside for their size.

Richardson's are selling a Serene Gem here - it's the only one with a price on it. The photos on the sales website are a bit broken, so take a look on the hire listing.

There aren't to many around and Hampton are selling fast

3 minutes ago, oldgregg said:

If you're thinking about bathtub types but also a similar sort of size to a Hampton, what about a Calypso? They're huge inside for their size.

That looks to be a good boat for the money.