Suggested 7 Day (kid Friendly) Itinerary For Southern Broads?

9 hours ago, SueMandiwall said:

Is Burgh Castle worth a stop?

Burgh Castle is lovely. The moorings themselves are not particularly good but manageable. There is a nice walk to the castle which is extremely well kept and worth a visit. The views across to Berney Arms are great. 

I would advise against using the Burgh Castle moorings. The metal quay heading is badly deteriorating, in some places the metal is peeling back and projecting into the river. If you can, I believe the Fishermans Inn moorings are better, but be aware there is a rise and fall of about 6' between high and low water.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My inclination is to back up Regulo’s advice. Although perfectly doable once you’ve gained some experience and confidence, I wouldn’t advise that a novice moor at Burgh Castle. Barney Arms has similar strong tide, but there’s normally a bit more room there.

40 minutes ago, SueMandiwall said:

So... if you had the choice to moor overnight at Waters Edge (Brammerton )or The Ferry House (Surlingham), which would you go for and why? Oh and do they both have electricity?

TIA x

Bramerton has three electricity posts at the BA 24 hour moorings. The Waters Edge also has electric but is supplied by the restaurant. (It is more of a restaurant than a pub really.) Surlingham Ferry pub also supplies electric, again by arrangement with the pub. Out of the two, Surlingham Ferry would be my choice. 

• Like 2

The Ferry House at Surlingham, because it's the best pub on the southern rivers and alongside the Bridge Inn at Acle the best on the Broads. 

The Watersedge is a Restaurant more than a Pub and had a bit of a rough time a few years ago but seems to have recovered, current reviews have been more favourable but there are still some doubts about the welcome given to hire craft on their moorings.

To be fair, I'm more of a Gammon and Egg and a pint of best character than Lobster and Chateau Margeaux. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I am sorry I have only skimmed the other posts, so these have probably been mentioned:

I have a 4 & 6 year old who have been going to the broads all of there life’s.

They love the campsite feel of the River Waveney Centre and the pool and play park there.

The Lido at Beccles is also a MASSIVE hit.

We always try go to Bewilderwood. Great
for them to have a break and spend the day off the boat. It’s easy to get to from the northern rivers, but maybe not so from the south.

The park at Oulton broad is big, perfect for letting of some steam.

Sent from my iPhone using Norfolk Broads Network

• 5 weeks later...
On 08/07/2020 at 15:44, Smoggy said:

Ferryhouse every time, and if the pub is booked up for food they will bring your food out to the boat for you, best to call and book a mooring just in case.

We ate here last week just as the eat out campaign started and it was rammed took over two hours to get our food you might be better going later in the week Book your mooring to avoid being disappointed. 

This post has been so useful for me too! Going to pin it on my phone....
We go from brundall for a week next week with an 8 and 10 year old. We've been on the northern broads before we had kids, so planning to stick to South. 
Need to get planning! 

Is that so you don’t have any more kids?

Sent from my iPhone using Norfolk Broads Network
  • Haha 1

On 07/07/2020 at 16:30, SueMandiwall said:

So... if you had the choice to moor overnight at Waters Edge (Brammerton )or The Ferry House (Surlingham), which would you go for and why? Oh and do they both have electricity?

TIA x

I'm with the others - since the Woods End was reincarnated as the Waters Edge its the only establishment on or near the Broads in which I've been made to feel I should really have worn a suit and tie - decidedly unwelcoming!

• Like 1

Am I right in thinking the lady that runs the Ferry House use to run The Woods End ( now waters edge).

Surlingham Ferry over Waters Edge by reputation but Bramerton Green is lovely, room for the kids to run around and a wooded area to (woods end) but as for  the Waters Edge it's a pub if they want paying up front and a restaurant if you pay for the meal at the end. If they are bust be prepared to wait for your starter and between courses if busy.

By the way, we always stop at  Bramerton even though we moor on the outskirts of norwich.

I would say bring food enough to feed you and use the pubs if moorings available. Booking ahead will get you a mooring but be prepared to change your mind, remember we run on Norfolk time. 

Bye the way, you will have a wonderful time here. We came to buy a boat and stay for a few months. I think we will stay now..... Been her 20 years.:default_biggrin:.

Norfolk is addictive. 

Colin :default_beerchug:

3 hours ago, stumpy said:

I'm with the others - since the Woods End was reincarnated as the Waters Edge its the only establishment on or near the Broads in which I've been made to feel I should really have worn a suit and tie - decidedly unwelcoming!

I have never felt unwelcome at the Waters Edge, never worn a sit & tie, often I wear shorts and a tee shirt, on our last visit we called in three times for lunch. I have moored up at both locations single handed, but because of the tides it can be easier at Bramerton Green or outside the Waters Edge.

Regards

Alan

• Like 1

Sorry, I have to disagree Alan and it's probably the only time I ever will. This guy hates hire boats and probably any other un desirable persons. He has got serious issues. The only pub in many years of Broads boating I've been kicked out of before I even got in. I will not be going back even if I went on foot so he could not see where I had come from. Sorry. 

We always try to stop at the waters edge... And when we do we have always had a friendly arrival.. He even came out last year and took the ropes off the wife.. Great place good food and enjoyable quiet over night mooring.. I recommend it to anyone, but phone and book a mooring with your table to avoid disappointment of not getting in...

FB94DD5B-8FA0-4009-A8A6-66A8363308DD.jpeg

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ScrumpyCheddar said:

We always try to stop at the waters edge... And when we do we have always had a friendly arrival.. He even came out last year and took the ropes off the wife.. Great place good food and enjoyable quiet over night mooring.. I recommend it to anyone, but phone and book a mooring with your table to avoid disappointment of not getting in...

FB94DD5B-8FA0-4009-A8A6-66A8363308DD.jpeg

That looks like Ranworth Breeze in front of you maybe taken a while ago, there is more balustrade now on the moorings.

Regards

Alan

13 hours ago, ranworthbreeze said:

That looks like Ranworth Breeze in front of you maybe taken a while ago, there is more balustrade now on the moorings.

Regards

Alan

Yes Alan it’s Ranworth breeze it’s was last September... We was hoping it was you ...We doubled moored with Baitrunner (Mark) 

Cheers Mike 

• Like 1