Another Scam

Update on the scam that Marina had.She reported it to 02 and the Police. Infact the Police  have the parcel,which according to the scam was a ipad.She then had a bill for £48 per month,which was not from 02,but the scammers. This morning they informed  Marina  they couldn't  receive the payment.Of course  not.She now has a new bank card and they won't get any money. I've said before  this scam appears to be local in the Dartford  area.

I just hope the scammers get very burnt  fingers.

Once again be careful  if you receive an unexpected parcel.If in doubt  phone the Police  on 101.

Ian

• Thanks 1

I got another email scam last week from a person(s) claiming they had a large renovation project commencing with a huge amount of tiling to be done and I had been recommended,  Could I clik on the link and provide them with an estimate?

Said link turned my screen red (Bitdefender) then wanted me to enter all manner of passwords etc just to view the link.  Needless to say I didn't but did forward on the email to - report@phishing.gov.uk - which is where I forward on all suspicious scam emails and just for good measure replied to their email with some suitable Old English - Well, made me feel better

Griff

• Like 4

I had one purporting to be from a buyer on Ebay saying they wanted to buy an item from me.  No reference to the item and when I went on Ebay no buyer message - into spam!

Also the other day another one 'from the chair of a committee I am on' saying urgent I need your help please email me.  This I didn't do because the email address wasn't that of the chair but I believe when other committee members have been caught out a reply usually comes with some dodgy links.  I believe in this case they trawl through websites looking usually for the Treasurer details and then send an email supposedly from a committee member asking for an urgent payment.  We don't have the Treasurer details on our websites

Liz

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, BroadAmbition said:

I got another email scam last week from a person(s) claiming they had a large renovation project commencing with a huge amount of tiling to be done and I had been recommended,  Could I clik on the link and provide them with an estimate?

Said link turned my screen red (Bitdefender) then wanted me to enter all manner of passwords etc just to view the link.  Needless to say I didn't but did forward on the email to - report@phishing.gov.uk - which is where I forward on all suspicious scam emails and just for good measure replied to their email with some suitable Old English - Well, made me feel better

Griff

Griff was it old English  or your best French?

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, BroadAmbition said:

That is either surprisingly targetted or very coincidental.

1 hour ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

Update on the scam that Marina had.She reported it to 02 and the Police. Infact the Police  have the parcel,which according to the scam was a ipad.She then had a bill for £48 per month,which was not from 02,but the scammers. This morning they informed  Marina  they couldn't  receive the payment.Of course  not.She now has a new bank card and they won't get any money. I've said before  this scam appears to be local in the Dartford  area.

Once again be careful  if you receive an unexpected parcel.If in doubt  phone the Police  on 101.

Ian

That parcel scam is nationwide mate.

Not surprised, but what was surprising on the day it happened just to remind  people  the parcel was correctly addressed  to Marina yet two men asked for it back then another  one a few days later.However another  surprise.Marina spoke to some of her friends and some said they would  have given it back.

I knew as I said its fairly  local, wasn't aware its nation wide.

Ian, Please don't get me wrong here, I am not "getting at you" but within two threads on this forum you have made statements that made me raise an eyebrow or two.

On the face covering thread you eluded to being quite content to display fairly private information on a card, and here you suggest surprise that what appeared to be a local incident was wider spread.

I think this highlights just how much and what private information a person is prepared to divulge to what they assume is a legitimate reason.

This is not in argument with your stances, but merely an observation. 

I've never hide my  medical condition I have COPD.Regarding the scam,this was against  Marina.I wanted to alert others of this scam and to be aware.I don't want to continue  as I said regarding face coverings. I think its run its course.Do I feel strongly  abou it yes.However I see no point  in me discussing  this any further.

2 hours ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

Ian

Ian - why did Marina have to have a new bank card? You gave the parcel straight to the police and presumably the £48 bill too for them to follow up. Do you think the scammers got her bank details somehow?

After the parcel  arrived she opened the parcel  but not the main parcel,which may or may not of had a ipad inside.Phone  calls to 02 and the Police.Then the bank.They adviced her to get a new card and they would make sure no money would come out for the so called ipad.Her contract is only for her phone. The scammers are still trying  to get money, but they won't get a penny.

• Thanks 1

Another scam popped up on Friday - A firm claiming to know the guarantee on my washing machine had run out & offering a 3 year deal at £75 per year with all the usual conditions including  replacement machine if beyond repair.

When the confirmation email arrived shortly after the Direct Debit was for £75 per month!

Digging deeper on their website there is no mention of an insurance type service  only spot repairs. The website also quoted a registered business address which they had informed Companies House had moved in August 2019.

Luckily first DD not due till 8th Aug  & scheme has normal 14 day cooling off period. Duly cancelled & Bank informed.

The penny should have dropped when they didn't know the make of machine or the fact it is a washer drier rather than plain washer.

Had a call on my mobile, one ring that’s all. Fortunately, my phone shows the origins of calls this call came from the Central African Republic and I don’t know anyone from there.

A quick Google of the number +236 2278 ---- (left out the last four digits) revealed it’s a scam to entice you to ring back and get charged an extortionate connection fee. 

This scam has even got a name it’s called a “Wangiri call “meaning one ring and drop

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

Has anyone received an email from a store (in my case Debenhams, Swansea) containing an e-receipt for purchases made in store today? Luckily the ending of the card number it quotes isn’t one of mine. Seems odd though. Is it a scam trying to provoke a response?

The whole email looks like a genuine e-receipt, including the normal contact details for the store.

1 minute ago, YnysMon said:

Has anyone received an email from a store (in my case Debenhams, Swansea) containing an e-receipt for purchases made in store today? Luckily the ending of the card number it quotes isn’t one of mine. Seems odd though. Is it a scam trying to provoke a response?

The whole email looks like a genuine e-receipt, including the normal contact details for the store.

See if Debenhams have somewhere you can forward it too and ask them. Do not reply to it.

• Like 1

I’ve checked out their store pages. It does say that you may have received the email due to an email address having been wrongly spelled. I suppose that’s plausible given it was a Welsh store and my email address is based on a Welsh house name. The Welsh term that I’ve used is pretty unusual though.

I have just received an e-mail circular from Neighbourhood watch team warning about these scam e-mails.

Usual rules apply. Don't use link and, don't reply. Look up the phone number for the store and report it to them and/or the police.Do not use the phone number on the suspect e-mail. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, YnysMon said:

I’m extremely cautious about such things. Though it worth checking whether anyone else has received anything similar though.

Wise to be cautious, whether we've come across it or not. If you join your local on-line neighbourhood watch, you should receive the details of the scams going on in your area.

If I had £5 for every time someone e-mailed to tell me that my PayPal account has been suspended and could I click on the link for further instructions, I would be well on the way to paying next year's tolls.  A good tip for recognising these is to hover your cursor over the sender's e-mail address and/or the click button in the e-mail and you will see who the sender really is and the address the link will take you to. Invariably, these send you to a dodgy site or a hijacked PC somewhere in the world which tries to download some kind of virus, either ransomware, a key-logger or something else that compromises the security of your equipment. 

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Heres another good one i have just been sent, an invoice from currys pc world, about an amount, thanking me for my order

with a button to cancel the payment at the bottom, unfortunately I didnt think that pc world ran a restaurant in newcastle for table 94

currysPNG.PNG