Another Scam

Scam or Spam?

I am being bombarded daily by Emails from Coupon&Go offering bargains for everything from the Lottery to Amazon. I never open or reply to them or try to unsubscribe (as I don’t trust the unsubscribe option) I just delete them. A quick google tells me that they’re based in Barcelona and Paris.

Any thoughts?

• 3 weeks later...

well heres a good one, apparently my name was mentioned in mr allens will - 

Subject: Claim
Date: Fri, 4 Dec 2020 10:29:55 +0000

Dear

Hence you did not respond to my previous email with regards to your name mentioned in Mr. Allen’s will, I have decided to email you again. Reply urgently for more details.

Regards,

Peter Wade.

so how come he doesnt address me by name then - answer that Peter Wade / Lawrence (unsurprising he doesnt know my name, if he cant even remember his own surname.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Regulo said:

Yet another one - DPD can't deliver my parcel, but if I give them all my details they'll try again. Which is surprising, as I haven't ordered anything.

yes, had that one too, interesting as i did have a parcel delivered by dpd yesterday

Try this. 
Have you had an accident that was not your fault?

why yes I have. 

was you hurt?

yes I was!

you could be inline for some compensation!

oh good because I need it to pay for the wall I hit while speeding away from a policeman who wanted to breathalyse me after leaving the pub. 

• Haha 1

We used to get regular calls of the " you had an accident that wasn't your fault" variety, we now use Sky talk shield which is free to their customers and we haven't had a dodgy call since, great service from Sky for once.

Steve

Just in case!

Sent: Thursday, December 3, 2020 4:59 PM

Subject: Norfolk Police - This week's Consumer scam alerts from Norfolk Trading Standards

The following is a Police Connect message.

Scam Alert – Telephone cold calls claiming to be from ‘Amazon’ – 3 December 2020

We are again warning residents to be on their guard for telephone cold calls claiming to be from ‘Amazon’.

We have had several reports from Norfolk residents of recorded message calls claiming to be from Amazon that advise your Amazon Prime subscription ‘is about to renew at the cost of £39.99’. The call then states you can ‘press 1 to speak with someone’.

Where residents have interacted with the call, they have then been connected to a person who attempts to gather personal, account or financial details.

These calls are a scam and are not connected with Amazon in any way. If you receive this or a similar call our advice is do not interact with the call and hang up.

Amazon have put together some helpful tips on how to identify if a phone call is from them. This information can be found on the Amazon UK website.

If you have received a telephone cold call which you believe to be a scam you can report it to us via our partners the Citizens Advice consumer helpline on freephone 0808 223 1133.

Scam Alert - Investment scams and fake cryptocurrency exchanges – 2 December 2020

We have received reports of Norfolk residents falling victim to online investment scams, including fake cryptocurrency exchanges.

Bitcoin is the most famous cryptocurrency, but there are more than 1,500 cryptocurrencies including other well-known ones such as Ethereum and Litecoin. Cryptocurrencies only exists online and are not controlled by a bank, treasury or country, meaning you can’t get physical notes or coins from the bank.

If you don’t understand a cryptocurrency or an investment, it is recommended that you avoid handing over any money.

A cryptocurrency scam can take many forms, this could include:

A fake cryptocurrency which doesn’t, or will never, exist 

A bogus investment which promises to put money in a legitimate cryptocurrency

A dangerous website link that then downloads malware onto your computer

Which? Have put together useful guidance on how to spot an investment scam which can be found on the Which? website

The Financial Conduct Authority have also produced an interactive warning list where members of the public can check investment or pension opportunities that they have been offered and receive advice about current scams. This is available on the Financial Conduct Authority website.

If you think you have received an investment offer that you believe is a scam or you have become a victim of a scam, you can report this to us via our partners the Citizens Advice consumer helpline.

Scam Alert – Text messages claiming to be from ‘Royal Mail’ – 1 December 2020

We are warning about text messages circulating claiming to be from Royal Mail.

A Norfolk resident has reported receiving the message pictured above which states, ‘we attempted to deliver your package’ and offering a link to ‘reschedule your package delivery’.

The link listed then goes to a fake version of the Royal Mail website which has been registered with one small difference which may be hard to spot

In this case the website has been registered as ‘royaimail’. Anyone accessing it is asked for a range of personal information supposedly to enable them to ‘reschedule the delivery’.

Our advice is always be wary of claims made in unexpected messages and never click on any links or open attachments contained within them.

You can see further examples of fake Royal Mail communication and how to report ones received to them on the Royal Mail website.

You can report suspicious text messages received to us via our partners the Citizens Advice consumer helpline on freephone 0808 223 1133.

Scam Alert – Telephone cold calls offering cover for washing machines – 1 December 2020

We are warning Norfolk residents about telephone cold calls from an individual stating that your washing machine warranty has expired and needs extending.

The cold caller attempts to gather personal and financial details from the call recipient.

If you receive this or a similar call our advice is do not give or confirm any details and hang up.

If you want to check on warranty details of any goods within your home, contact the business where you purchased the item directly via their official website or phone number.

A recent article published by Which? gives further advice on receiving unwanted calls about appliance cover which can be found on the Which? website.

You can report suspicious telephone cold calls to us via our partners the Citizens Advice consumer helpline on freephone 0808 223 1133.

Information Alert – Don’t fall prey to loan sharks online – 30 November 2020

We are proud to support the Stop Loan Sharks Week Campaign #SharkFreeSurfing to raise awareness of the dangers of online loan sharks and help people access advice and support if they have fallen victim to this crime. If you have been a victim of illegal money lending, or are concerned about someone you know, please contact the Stop Loan Sharks 24-hour helpline on 0300 555 2222 or visit the Stop Loan Sharks website.

How to protect yourself from loan sharks online

Know who you're dealing with. If you've only ever met someone online or are unsure of the legitimacy of a lender, take some time to do a bit more research. Check the lender is authorised by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA). If not, don’t borrow from them and report to the Stop Loan Sharks team

Beware of loan adverts with no credit checks. Loan sharks have been known to advertise in community groups and on local selling pages. They may seem friendly and accommodating, but their behaviour can quickly change, and you might be harassed or threatened if you get behind with your repayments. Lenders must carry out credit checks to make sure borrowers can afford to pay back their loans. You should never hand over your bank details to strangers, even if they lure you with attractive offers. Remember, if it looks too good to be true, it probably is

Beware of any requests for your details or money. Loan sharks may ask for copies of your passport or pictures of your house, the street and your house number. Never send money or give card details, online account details or copies of personal documents to anyone you don’t know or trust

If you suspect someone may be a loan shark or they are acting inappropriately, you can report them anonymously to the Stop Loan Sharks website or by calling the Stop Loan Sharks Helpline on 0300 555 2222.

Alternatively, you can email the team reportaloanshark@stoploansharks.gov.uk or access support via live chat on the website Monday to Friday between 9am and 5pm.

The Stop Loan Sharks App is free to download on both iOS and Android devices from the Apple App Store and Google Play Store.

To manage your contact details, additional information and subscriptions, please login through the member portal. 

• Thanks 3

Here we go again, another scam.

I received an email to confirm an order placed with JDWilliams and to be delivered to a town, where I know no one. The cost of the order was just over £1,000.

Next, an email confirm delivery to this so called address.

Both emails looked VERY LIFE LIKE and at the time of receiving them I took them as real.

I am waiting for JDWilliams to come back to me.

Regards

Marina 

• Sad 2

• 1 month later...

another day, another scam call, todays from HMRC, recorded voice telling me that unless i pressed 1 her majesties customs would take out a summons against me for fraud, dont press 1 as they will probably try and elicit money or account details from you.

i have reported this to the HMRC via the relevant contact form on the .gov page to assist them with catching these scammers

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Today's scam. Just got my bill from BT and there is a 50p charge for a call to 123. I have checked and I wasn't even at home on the day and time the call was made. I only use my landline for the Broadband and never use it to make calls. Turns out that it is not uncommon for BT engineers testing faults on the line to test your line by dialing 123, this does not have to be from your house, but could be at the cabinet down the road and can happen even if you haven't had a fault or reported a fault.

Don't know if anything has changed from my time at BT (and it's previous alibis) but there was a code an engineer could dial to get the line and various parameters checked without the line owner being charged. If a chargeable call was made, it had to be logged for a credit to the bill. But we are talking 40 years ago!!!

This morning  on BBC London  news.Perhaps the worse and certainly  the most dangerous  thing I've  heard.A man posing as a NHS workers went to a 92 year old women's house in late December, saying he would give her the vaccine, which was a fake one he injected  changing her £160.This could have killed her.Police are still looking  for him.

• Sad 2

• 3 weeks later...

It's getting a bit nasty now.

I had one of those calls from Microsoft yesterday from "Jake" who was clearly in a room with quite a few other people. After he had gone through the start of his patter I asked if there were other people with him and he said yes. I asked if there was Covid where he was and he said yes. I asked why go into a crowded room and risk getting covid just to do what he was doing. The answer was "I hope you die from Covid you M..........r!"

I always string these people along so they have less time to bother other people and will continue to do so but just beware, if you are easily upset, just put the phone down. 

• Like 1