Another Scam

oh that was an easy one to spot, just had an email from 'Amanozn' telling me my account was being suspended, sure it is.

then a text from HMRC saying I needed to click here to get my 2020 refund. (not that i can click a link in my basic phones sms.

• Like 1

I had an automated email from Windscribe (the company who I use for a VPN) to say my password had just been changed. These sort of things are quite common, so instead of clicking on the link to check in, as invited, I went to their website direct. Sure enough, my password had changed and I couldn't get in. I was able to regain entry through the email to change forgotten passwords, so no harm done, but it made me go through all my passwords to make sure I hadn't used that one elsewhere. In doing so I came across this which is very useful. You've probably heard of the Have I Been Pwned website. That will tell you if your email address has been the subject of a data breach. They also offer a service for passwords. You just put the password in and it will tell you if it's been seen in a data breach before:

https://haveibeenpwned.com/Passwords

4 hours ago, grendel said:

oh that was an easy one to spot, just had an email from 'Amanozn' telling me my account was being suspended, sure it is.

then a text from HMRC saying I needed to click here to get my 2020 refund. (not that i can click a link in my basic phones sms.

Snap!

20210131_205518.thumb.jpg.525389c111c1a4597bb72f631ae6be54.jpg

As far as I know BT IP addresses are Dynamic, along with many other providers that are providing non business customers.

Therefore if you turn off your router when you go shopping etc and turn in back on when you return you will be allocated a new IP address.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

In the last week I've had at least five calls,Marina  one.Its a recorded message from they say that our National  insurance  number has been involved  in illegal use.Press number one to speck to whoever.I've blocked  the number twice still coming through. I've just phoned  HMRC.The recorded message said they are Aware of this scam and can be reported online.

Please if you receive  this scam report it to HMRC.

20 minutes ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

The message  from HMRC,made it clear to report  it to them.This is not me saying that,it's them! It's true, but some do fall into thr trap.

Ok, just seems pointless to report something that they know about unless they make money out of it somehow. I just hang up on the phone calls.

• Like 1

Hello Ian you and Marina seem to be a magnet to these type of scams. We all tend to get many of these calls and emails each week. Rather than just putting the phone down I tend these days to play them along, its their call and expense so the longer they are on the phone the more it costs them.

Not sure how HMRC can make money  out of this.Think the point  is the more information  they receive  they can use it if they track down the scamers.

My advice is still the same if it happens  to you.Block the number  and report  online to HMRC.

1 minute ago, ranworthbreeze said:

Hello Ian you and Marina seem to be a magnet to these type of scams. We all tend to get many of these calls and emails each week. Rather than just putting the phone down I tend these days to play them along, its their call and expense so the longer they are on the phone the more it costs them.

This one is just a recorded  message.Alan not only  us.Since lockdown,scammers have had a field day,scams increasing.If I have a call from someone, I put the phone down or If I don't recognise the number I don't pick up.

9 hours ago, OldBerkshireBoy said:

As if HMRC would use a mobile number! Sorry Ian but what is the point of reporting a scam that they already know about.

A couple of years ago I had a text from a mobile number informing me of suspicious activity on my bank account. I called my bank, using the phone number on the reverse of my bank card, and it was genuine, they blocked the account whilst a new bank card arrived . Oddly the sum involved was only  for around £2!