Dinghy Addition

Guest Richard_Perks@btinternet.com

Guest Richard_Perks@btinternet.com

Hi

We are hiring a cruiser (hopefully!) in Aug for our first trip to the broads and a newbie. We will have a dog and wanted to plan mooring arrangements.

Should we also consider hiring a dinghy option for when mud weighting? Main reason is we have a dog so need to consider toilet arrangements. If moored some place off bank we may not want to (or be able too if late) move to shore. I’m also thinking if popular spots are also full in high-season.

What do people typically do? If this common or just me overthinking it and not that necessary if we plan around it?

Also if we have a dinghy are these towed or stored on deck? We are hiring a large boat 6/8 berth if this helps.

Many thanks

Richard

Sent from the Norfolk Broads Network mobile app

a dinghy is a good idea, usually towed as you would never get one on deck, most hire yards can provide them, if you get a sailing one make sure you dont tow it centrally as water can come up through the centre board and slowly fill the dinghy (only happens normally if in the direct wash of the propellor). we normally tow using a line to each stern cleat, but have one longer so it tows off centre, also designate one crew member to be responsible for the dinghy when mooring, as you will need to move it to the front of the boat when stern mooring, and to the outside cleat when side mooring

Consider how easy it will be to get in and out of a dinghy from the cruiser you have chosen and then add a dog to the mix and think again. 

You will need a dog life jacket and you will need to wear one yourself along with anybody who is helping you. 

Often, getting into the dinghy is the easy part; can you get the dog back out of the dinghy to the boat. 

Also, consider that there are limited mudweighting options anyway that offer dinghy access ashore. You can't mudweight in river channels. It's only Salhouse, Malthouse and perhaps Wroxham Broads anyway and do you really want to be sculling around in the dark in a dinghy, with a dog, being a newbie? 

• Like 2

Personally, I think it is a bad idea for a newbie. Dinghies are a pain at the best of times especially if you do find an alongside mooring; they get in everyones way. When mud weighting, lifting a dog in/out might not be so easy if it is a sizeable dog which is not used to that procedure.

To coin a phrase, dump the dinghy, or ditch the dog(not literally, of course).

Enjoy your holiday.

• Like 1

Thanks for everyone’s comments - very helpful. Our dog swims like a fish(!) but I think we will go without the dinghy. Sounds like something else to worry about when not been on broads boating holiday before. We’ll just plan around it and can consider in future once had more experience. Cheers

• Like 2

On another note change your username, it's asking for spam bot attention.

For some reason my posts on mobile app didn’t come through? Anyway thanks for highlighting - is already spotted and should be sorted. Ta

28 minutes ago, OscarP said:

Thanks for everyone’s comments - very helpful. Our dog swims like a fish(!) but I think we will go without the dinghy. Sounds like something else to worry about when not been on broads boating holiday before. We’ll just plan around it and can consider in future once had more experience. Cheers

I think this is the right decision. I would have been giving you the same advice if you were my customer looking to give me money for a dinghy.

• Like 1

We have a cocker spaniel and have been pulling a dinghy for about 5 years

We haven't found it a problem, can be a bit inconvenient at times but for me worth it to me to open up mooring opportunities for pubs

We always have the dog in a life jacket and although she's not keen on being 'air lifted' into the dinghy she's ok with it

Having said all that we probably only use it once a holiday, but at £25 from Pacific, it's like taking out an insurance policy

I expect we may get more use this time when I expect the broads to be rammed!

A proper doggie life jacket is a must, nothing to do with your spaniels swimming ability (and spaniels do love water) but more to do with the fact that the life jacket comes with a handle on the back which turns a soggy fido into a suitcase meaning you can lift him out the water comparatively safely. 

We have done the mud weight dinghy dog ashore thing many times, even with a red setter ( that's life lifting a reluctant aquaphobic scatterbrained giraffe) and they very quickly learn the system.

• Like 2

A proper doggie life jacket is a must, nothing to do with your spaniels swimming ability (and spaniels do love water) but more to do with the fact that the life jacket comes with a handle on the back which turns a soggy fido into a suitcase meaning you can lift him out the water comparatively safely. 
We have done the mud weight dinghy dog ashore thing many times, even with a red setter ( that's life lifting a reluctant aquaphobic scatterbrained giraffe) and they very quickly learn the system.

Yes agreed. We will certainly get a life jacket for the same reasons.