Email/report From John Packman

IMPORTANT AND URGENT

Good afternoon,

This email is being sent on behalf of Broads Authority Chief Executive John Packman to the mailing lists used by the Authority for distributing Notices to Mariners to boatyards. It is also being sent to the Chairman and Secretary of the Broads Hire Boat Federation for them to circulate.

It has three important messages:

Change in Government guidance 

Broads Authority position on navigation charges for hire boats

Concerns about anti-social behaviour

1. Change in Government guidance

Today (1 July) Defra published the following information:

"Throughout the Covid-19 pandemic, the Government’s priority has been, and remains, to save lives. Following the latest announcement by the Prime Minister on 23 June, which marked a significant further easing of the lockdown restrictions to come into effect on 4 July, the Government has decided to withdraw the guidance on ‘Using a boat inland and on the coast’ from 4 July. 

Latest government guidance on COVID-19 can be found at: https://www.gov.uk/coronavirus. Individuals and boating operators are responsible for conducting a risk assessment drawing on the relevant sources of government guidance on COVID-19. In particular operators and individuals should consider:

·        Working Safely during coronavirus

·        Staying alert and safe (social distancing) after 4 July

·        Meeting People Outside Your House

·        Staying Safe Outside Your Home

·        Safer transport guidance for operators

·        Safer travel guidance for passengers

·        Phased return of outdoor sport and recreation

For any further questions please contact: eoc.policyhub@defra.gov.uk"

This means that:

There are no specific restrictions on waterways businesses from 4 July. Boating operators are responsible for conducting a risk assessment drawing on the relevant sources of government guidance on COVID-19, available at: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/working-safely-during-coronavirus-covid-19 

Specifically, this advice supersedes previous restrictions regarding skippered trip boats.

2. Broads Authority position on navigation charges for hire boats

There is an interdependent relationship between the Broads Authority and the hire boat companies. The Authority’s ability to maintain one of Britain’s most precious landscapes to be enjoyed by millions of people depends on a thriving hire boat industry, and many of the wonders of our environment can only be seen from the water. 

At the start of the COVID-19 lockdown, the Authority acted quickly to support the hire boat companies, who were losing bookings and whose fleets were confined to their boatyards. We drew their attention to Section 16 (6) in the Broads Authority Act 2009 specifically designed for boatyards, and stating that, where hire boats are not being used and are effectively in storage, they are not subject to a toll. This meant that the £1.2 million toll income initially forecast from the hire industry for 2020/21 was at risk. 

Although the restrictions are being eased the Authority recognises that boat hire is a highly seasonal operation in terms of income, but a year-round operation for the maintenance and upkeep of the hire fleets. Consequently, although the hire boat companies’ income is highly seasonal, some costs such as rent, insurance, utilities and staffing are 12-month costs. The business plans of these companies are highly dependent on the reserves built up during the summer season. With a shortened summer season, the cash reserves to survive the winter may not exist for some companies.

We are arguing for a Government package to support employment in the industry by key workers through the winter. However, looking at the actions within our control and options to protect the industry the Authority has decided to take a flexible and proportionate approach to the navigation charges that would fall due for commercial craft for 2020/21. 

Ordinarily, 10% of the charge is payable on or before 1 April with three equal payments of 30% in May, June and July. This standard process has been amended so that: 

10% of the charge is due as soon as the boat is hired; 

30% would be paid on or before 31 August 2020; 

30% would be paid on or before 30 September 2020; and 

the final payment of 30% would be due on or before 31 October 2020.

The easing of restrictions from 4 July is good news but at this point the prospects for the remainder of the boating season are unclear. The Authority has therefore decided that officers, following consultation with the Broads Hire Boat Federation and individual companies and charities, will report to the 3 September Navigation Committee and 25 September Broads Authority meetings on how the season has progressed and what approach the Authority is recommended to take towards the outstanding charges to help the companies survive the winter. 

The advantage of this approach is that the process allows time to evaluate the season before deciding whether there is justification for providing financial support to the companies.

Please contact our Tolls Team on 01603 756080 or tolls@broads-authority.gov.uk if you need any further information.

3. Concerns about anti-social behaviour

Rangers report from the weekend seeing lots of groups of young people out on day hire boats including 10 young people on one day hire boat, although others boats have been seen out with more than 6. These groups of young boys and girls are clearly not from the same household. Rangers also report this has not been confined to just one or two operators but have been seen across all areas.

I am concerned that we are already starting to see a repeat of widespread anti-social behaviour across the Broads that resulted in very negative publicity for the Broads a few seasons ago. This time there is also the very real risk of a spike in Covid-19 cases in Norfolk/Suffolk forcing local lockdowns if the guidance is not followed. The video of the boat being rocked by a group of youths which is circulating on social media and picked up by the local press highlights the problem but was not an isolated incident this weekend. Videos such as these tend to be spread widely on social media and could harm the reputation of boating on the Broads, just as we are trying to encourage people to visit again.

In addition, Rangers have already spoken to several yards about speeding dayboats and we have had several incidents with people swimming from days boats and getting into difficulty/being injured. The handovers must be clear on these matters otherwise we run the risk of a serious incident occurring. With so many people out using the water, hirers need to be especially aware of their actions when controlling vessels.

With holiday vessels being allowed out from the 4 July these checks need to be followed rigorously otherwise the risks of a major incident will increase. 

Both ourselves and British Marine campaigned hard to get boatyards operating again by promising safeguards were in place. It is disappointing to see that to date this has not always the case. 

Can I please ask you to follow the Government’s advice and do your very best to ensure that your customers respect the local environment, wildlife, other river users and local residents. 

Please come back to me if you have any questions.

With regards and best wishes for the rest of the season,

John

- ENDS - 

John can be contacted on John.Packman@broads-authority.gov.uk if you have any questions. 

Please also see our COVID-19 webpage and Frequently Asked Questions for more information relating to Coronavirus and the Broads.

Kind regards,

Tom

Tom Waterfall

Senior Communications OfficEmail/report from John Packer

Broads Authority

01603 756034

Broads Authority, Yare House, 62-64 Thorpe Road. Norwich NR1 1RY
01603 610734
www.broads-authority.gov.uk

• Like 3
  • Thanks 12

It would be interesting to hear from the boatyards about this.

Obviously I have no idea what actually happened when the group in the video picked up their boat but what if only 2 people or 4, who could say they were from 2 different households picked up the boat and then picked up their friends away from the boatyard?

It doesn't make sense to me that any boatyard would take these kind of risks knowingly.

• Like 1

I must say that when we were out on the hottest day of the year along with the rest of the day boat hire boats we saw no anti social behaviour,  everyone was behaving themselves.    This element which should be in Spain by now will soon disappear.   Boatyards should be more strict as to who they are hiring these day boats out to.      Some boat yards have a policy of no more than 6 on a day boat and that is about right when you consider a normal family out for the day.  These idiots who are for the most completely brain dead from the feet up should not be allowed on any boat.    If the Police came on hard on the yard along with the Health and Safety people, yes they would be no doubt a few quid down on this year but at least they would still be operating and lets face it , once your reputation is lost it takes a long time to build it up again.   

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

If the industry fails to maintain guidelines then I can see the lock-down quickly returning to the Broads and the remainder of the season being curtailed with disastrous consequences. 

I fear there will be a second spike anyway as the holiday makers start breathing all over each again after this weekend. Same sex parties apart, I would have thought the Broads is one place less likely to spread the virus compared to coastal resorts and holiday parks.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dwhitty said:

what if only 2 people or 4, who could say they were from 2 different households picked up the boat and then picked up their friends away from the boatyard?

I reckon this is probably what happened. I doubt any boatyard is going to risk the business by deliberately hiring to a number of young people totally against all the guidelines. Maybe another reason the yard in question should have been made aware? 

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, Hylander said:

This element which should be in Spain by now will soon disappear.

I'm sure than many visitors to Spain don't want them either!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

What really gets me is there are places and activities designed so you can really let your steam off, be loud and just go for it but the Norfolk Broads is not one of them.......or am I getting old and grumpy?

Fred

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, trambo said:

What really gets me is there are places and activities designed so you can really let your steam off, be loud and just go for it but the Norfolk Broads is not one of them.....

The problem is that all to many youngsters see the Broads as being suitable for unwise  or anti-social behaviour..

• Like 3

1 hour ago, JennyMorgan said:

The problem is that all to many youngsters see the Broads as being suitable for unwise  or anti-social behaviour..

Not helped that Stags are advertised for and welcomed with a bottle to get them started.

• Like 2

Well I’m obviously old and grumpy too. The Broads is an absolute haven for us to get away from the stresses of our jobs.  We work damn hard so we can have a boat. 

The minute I set foot on the boat and look out onto the water, i de-stress. If it becomes the norm for antisocial behaviour with people getting away with it, the Broads would no longer hold the appeal and I’d want to sell the boat.  Its that simple for me personally.  

• Like 7

It seems a well reasoned letter but a bit short on what they can actually do regarding anti-social behaviour.

Is the authority able to withdraw or restrict licenses to hire dayboats, or cruisers if it comes to that, if an operator is seen to obviously ignore this behaviour ?

Can they set limits on passenger group sizes ? This might give powers to rangers and Broads Beat to act immediately.

Could they colour code boats (Or parts of boats) by company to make it obvious where a boat is from ?

I don't know, just asking.

I've just read Vaughan's post on the idiot hirer thread.

"3/. Please understand who is responsible for what.  If you want to complain of uncivil behaviour then complain to the authorities, who are there to police it."

What I am suggesting is that may be a clearer definition, and set of industry-wide rules would allow the authorities to take action earlier.

Assuming there are enough of them to go round !

As I say, just asking.

11 minutes ago, MotorBoater said:

It seems a well reasoned letter but a bit short on what they can actually do regarding anti-social behaviour.

Is the authority able to withdraw or restrict licenses to hire dayboats, or cruisers if it comes to that, if an operator is seen to obviously ignore this behaviour ?

Can they set limits on passenger group sizes ? This might give powers to rangers and Broads Beat to act immediately.

Could they colour code boats (Or parts of boats) by company to make it obvious where a boat is from ?

The boats could have their names/registration numbers more prominent but I hope they don't start making more and more rules. So long as the hirers are happy that they have covered themselves should the inevitable happen, then the rest of us can only be vigilante. Should one of these idiots drown you can bet some no-win-no-fee solicitor will try and prove negligence.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, floydraser said:

I fear there will be a second spike anyway as the holiday makers start breathing all over each again after this weekend. Same sex parties apart, I would have thought the Broads is one place less likely to spread the virus compared to coastal resorts and holiday parks.

I have been told that hospitals are gearing up for an early Autumn second wave. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, dwhitty said:

but what if only 2 people or 4, who could say they were from 2 different households picked up the boat and then picked up their friends away from the boatyard?

And please don't let's think it would be the first time that old trick has been played!  Many a cruiser, over the years, has left Wroxham, Potter or Stalham with 4 people on board, only to moor that evening and meet the rest of the party off the train at Acle.  Or Yarmouth, or Reedham.  And from July 4th onwards, day boat parties will be able to meet up in pub car parks again.  They often get caught though, as the rangers, apart from their other skills, know how to count heads!

Personally, I think we should all calm down a bit and see how this season develops.

I was most impressed with the e-mail as it demonstrates a level of understanding and interaction between the authority and the tourist businesses which I don't think I have seen stated as meaningfully as that since the days of the River Commissioners. Coming directly from the pen of Dr Packman himself, I find that heartening and most encouraging.

I could quote several parts, but this one is most significant :

"at this point the prospects for the remainder of the boating season are unclear".

I think I would be more inclined to believe that, from him, than I would all the marketing claims of how the bookings are flooding in!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, MotorBoater said:

The BA has no real power here other than to withdraw operators licenses which would be the absolute last resort. Party sizes are restricted by MCA laws (max of 12 on a self-drive vessel) and stability tests on each boat which produces maximum number of people allowed on board which is the -X number on the transom of every hire boat along with the licence plaques by the helms of all self-drive hire vessels. 

• Like 2

My biggest fear for the tourist sector and other parts of the economy is next year. I have been told by a senior person in tourism that the surge in bookings is being fuelled by credit cards and that many of those booking have not yet returned to work and are not sure of their longer term job prospects. (This market research information is often covertly gathered in the friendly agent general chit-chat, as I am sure those in the industry know.)

I am very fearful of a deep UK recession as private savings have dramatically fallen in recent years and things like car ownership have become a thing of the past for so many. With credit servicing holidays coming to and end there is far too much family debt. When their income source goes there will be real hardship. On the other side of the coin there could be real bargains for those with cash reserves as  property, cars, boats etc are repossessed.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, ChrisB said:

My biggest fear for the tourist sector and other parts of the economy is next year. I have been told by a senior person in tourism that the surge in bookings is being fuelled by credit cards and that many of those booking have not yet returned to work and are not sure of their longer term job prospects. (This market research information is often covertly gathered in the friendly agent general chit-chat, as I am sure those in the industry know.)

I am very fearful of a deep UK recession as private savings have dramatically fallen in recent years and things like car ownership have become a thing of the past for so many. With credit servicing holidays coming to and end there is far too much family debt. When their income source goes there will be real hardship. On the other side of the coin there could be real bargains for those with cash reserves as  property, cars, boats etc are repossessed.

Dont be fearful of people using credit cards to book,  very sensible under the circumstances as you do get a certain amount of protection.

• Like 2