Beccles, Geldeston Circular Walk

dwhitty

On Monday 27th July we were planning on doing a walk from Beccles Yacht Station to Geldeston with a visit to the Locks Inn and return. I had it all planned out, and thought I would check on how the pub will operate. Imagine my delight when I saw it isn't open on Mondays. I have since been told that the Wherry Inn will be open, so that's Christine's half of mild sorted.

Since planning the walk I have been informed that Grandchild and her mum are likely to be joining us, and that could potentially mean a change of plan.

I read somewhere that the path down to Geldeston on the bank over the bridge, can be a bit wet in places but how wide is it? Said Grandchild is only 2 years old and a 7 mile walk would mean most of it on my shoulders unless the path is suitable for a small buggy. 

Any information regarding this route and the likelihood of surviving it would be appreciated. I suppose if the first half was too tricky, a few extra beers and a taxi back from The Wherry wouldn't be the end of the world.

Can’t recommend The Wherry enough, really friendly and great food. I’ve considered doing that circular walk a few times, so will be interested to hear how you get on. The short walk that Graham and I did across the fields from The Locks was very soggy, but then I guess you have to expect that in March.

Helen

• Like 1

We crossed the bridge at Beccles a few years ago with the thought to walk towards Geldeston. I don't think we were that far before it was more of a track than a path. It probably wasn't long before we turned round and went back. But then we're not regular walkers like yourself Dave. However not sure you would take a buggy down there unless there's a different path than the one we were on.

3 minutes ago, SwanR said:

We crossed the bridge at Beccles a few years ago with the thought to walk towards Geldeston. I don't think we were that far before it was more of a track than a path. It probably wasn't long before we turned round and went back. But then we're not regular walkers like yourself Dave. However not sure you would take a buggy down there unless there's a different path than the one we were on.

Thanks Jean, I think you have confirmed what I expected, and might have to leave that walk for another time. Either that, or I do it myself and give the girls some peace for a few hours.

• Like 3

Assuming people reading this thread are interested in walking, can anyone recommend a guide to walks in the Broads area? Seven miles is about right for us for a start.

53 minutes ago, dwhitty said:

Thanks Jean, I think you have confirmed what I expected, and might have to leave that walk for another time. Either that, or I do it myself and give the girls some peace for a few hours.

If you leave it too long the Grandchild will have got bigger, but if you leave it 25 years the Grandchild will carry you! :default_biggrin:

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, floydraser said:

If you leave it too long the Grandchild will have got bigger, but if you leave it 25 years the Grandchild will carry you! :default_biggrin:

I think it will be more like push me round in a wheelchair by then.:default_biggrin:

• Like 1

If your planning to use the Angles Way path then I think you will be OK for most of the route with the buggy, there are a few short stretches where the buggy might struggle with an occupant but that might be the time for a piggy back and carry the buggy if it's not too heavy

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Paul said:

If your planning to use the Angles Way path then I think you will be OK for most of the route with the buggy, there are a few short stretches where the buggy might struggle with an occupant but that might be the time for a piggy back and carry the buggy if it's not too heavy

I really don't think you can expect the kid to give Dave a piggy back AND carry the buggy.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 03/07/2020 at 18:38, Paul said:

Thanks Paul, I think we can only give it a go and see how it is. If it's looking like too much hard work we can always turn back and seek another hostelry for the debrief.

On 03/07/2020 at 14:46, YnysMon said:

Can’t recommend The Wherry enough, really friendly and great food. I’ve considered doing that circular walk a few times, so will be interested to hear how you get on. The short walk that Graham and I did across the fields from The Locks was very soggy, but then I guess you have to expect that in March.

Helen

Whether we manage it in a few weeks or not, it is now on my to do list to visit the Wherry Inn. I like the cruise down to Geldeston so that could be an option.

On 03/07/2020 at 21:48, YnysMon said:

That takes me back. The papoose, or whatever you call it, got a lot of use when our kids were little. This one's from May 1991. Yes, my eldest is almost 30! Eeek!

Eliza is 2 and half and weighs far too much for her mum or Gran to carry in a papoose. I just tweaked my back opening a can of Strongbow so I will have to take it easy for a few weeks.:default_biggrin: