Stern Mooring On Southern Rivers

simonp

Hi everyone, long time lurker here!

We'll be on the broads next week (along with the rest of the world by all accounts :default_sad:). We've been countless times but there's one thing I can't get my head round...

On the southern rivers, where there's a rise and fall, how does it work with mooring stern on to a fixed point? Side on is fine, you just leave enough slack in the ropes. Floating pontoons obviously move with you so there's no problem there.

But there are a couple of spots where it's stern on to a fixed position, can't think exactly where, outside a pub if I remember rightly. Do you need to leave slack in the ropes, or can someone explain it to me?

One other thing, are there safe wild moorings on the southern rivers anywhere?

Thanks all!

Are you thinking of Surlingham Ferry House? You do need to think about what the tide is doing there and it's very important to use your mudweight. The rise and fall isn't too much there, not like further downstream but the flow can be quite strong. Using the center cleats helps as it gives you longer lines.

Agree with Cockatoo,other spots  Beccles  and Oulton broad,and Loddon.Just readjust your ropes now and again.Just make sure you allow  some slack. On more then one  occasion had to help people get the swim deck off the bank,because  they tied up to tight. Enjoy the south,just beware of the river monsters when you come some.:default_stinky::default_icon_clap:

oulton broad is another that springs to mind, here there is a quite real risk of hanging up on the stern with the rubbing rail riding over the quay heading then the tide dropping, you can cross the mooring lines over to create a sort of spring and give you longer ropes to the post, but generally its mudweight out the front, and allow enough slack to account for the tide, or it will lift off the bottom.

• Like 1

Interesting, thanks to you all. Not sure I understand how using the center cleats helps if the ropes are still tight but I guess it's the length that allows the boat to rise and fall, so they could still be tight ish.

I think if we do need to, we'll leave a good amount of slack on the mooring ropes and pay out a reasonable amount of slack on the mudweight, then we can to and fro between front and back as the tide changes. I guess crossing the lines makes a bit of sense to me too!

When we've moored up at Oulton in the past, one of the helpful (?) Quay attendants had acted like he was in a tug of war with the boat, pulling the stern in as tight as possible to the heading. Strange that he thought that was a good idea!

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, simonp said:

Interesting, thanks to you all. Not sure I understand how using the center cleats helps if the ropes are still tight but I guess it's the length that allows the boat to rise and fall, so they could still be tight ish.

I think if we do need to, we'll leave a good amount of slack on the mooring ropes and pay out a reasonable amount of slack on the mudweight, then we can to and fro between front and back as the tide changes. I guess crossing the lines makes a bit of sense to me too!

When we've moored up at Oulton in the past, one of the helpful (?) Quay attendants had acted like he was in a tug of war with the boat, pulling the stern in as tight as possible to the heading. Strange that he thought that was a good idea!

Hello Simon,

Other posters regarding using centre cleats and ropes were speaking about the Ferry House at Surlingham, this river section has a fast running tide, you need the mud weight out and usually a central rope on the port side just to keep the boat somewhat straight on their moorings. I try and moor at the furthest mooring from the pub and side moor. 

If I was mooring at the Oulton Broad Yacht Station I would only use the floating pontoon moorings.

Regards

Alan

• Like 2

100_3489.thumb.jpg.80c8f740a051c44fe0f54e7d94da8e6c.jpg

Here is stern on mooring at Surlingham when we were alone on the mooring.

The trick is to drop the mud weight on the full length of line, before you finish backing in, so the weight is out well in front of you and it holds you off the bank. There doesn't seem very much slack in the stern lines but it was enough, and we didn't need to adjust for the rise and fall of tide.

Members will be pleased to note the NBN pennant on a hire boat!

• Like 3

Hi i drop my mud weight when i am 6ft or so away from quay/bank this stops the boat bumping against quay at night and if there is a ledge stop you hooking under, just leave a bit of slack in the rope or cross the ropes over this will give more scoop,   when the attendant pulled you in tight i could well have been at low tide rather then high tide they do also check the ropes before they leave at night and retie if necessary just leave them loose it wont float away and if necessary just pull the boat in with the slack when you get on or off and then let it go loose again its also good practice to bring the rope back on board and tie off to your cleet rather then to the post especially when sharing the mooring post, this may also be easier to let go  when you cast off and one knot is significant not dozens as i have seen quite often. there is no difference between north and south the tide is range is higher the nearer you are to Yaremouth,  wild mooring just needs more care and thought on where you put your feet and how you will tie up. John

Thanks John, God advice. I'll use the tactic of dropping the mud weight earlier, then back in and tie up the stern with some slack. I tend to bring the ropes back on board and give them a couple of turns on the cleats anyway.

I've never seen anywhere on the south where I thought it would definitely by suitable for a wild mooring, you never know what's beneath the surface or if the levels could go higher than the bank. I'll not do it if I'm not certain, better safe than sorry!

Some good advice so far and I like the idea of dropping the mud weight a few feet out. I've never actually tried that but it makes a lot of sense. 

We were once stern moored at Coldham Hall and were woken in the night with the sound of water running. The boat was at an odd angle and we could tell we weren't afloat because there was no movement. For a few horrible moments we were worried we were sinking. We weren't however - I'd tied the stern ropes too tight and the rubbing strake had caught on the quay as the tide dropped. I managed to push the stern back in to the water with no damage done. The sound of running water that had woken us up had been water pouring in to one of the vents. 

I find leading a mooring rope from the center cleats (if you got them) as well as the stern ones, helps keep the boat even more steady if you can adjust them to work against each other. Even better if you have no one either side of you is use their dock cleats for a better angle.

Had problems once  when I met an owner who was doing just that and I needed his space....