The Black Horse Hoveton

Vaughan

I am looking for a photo of the old Black Horse pub on the Horning Road at Hoveton.

I have been Googling away merrily but keep getting directed to Black Horse Broad, but not the Black Horse pub. Can anyone help with an old photo?

• Love 1

I'd be very interested too Vaughan. Went in quite often, one of few pubs selling real ale back in the Watneys days. Nice drop of Adnams. Sods law, pre digital era I never thought to take a photo. It's gone now of course. 

I wonder if Carol might be able to help? I must get in touch with her anyway so I will ask. 

• Like 1

Thanks folks.

It's a silly thing really - I am drawing out a pub to make for my railway layout. The building will be based on the Kings Head at Hethersett (which is easily Googled) but I thought I would make it with a bay window and I remember that the Black Horse used to have one, where I often sat having a drink on my way home from work, with Perci Percival and Jack Bidewell, the river inspector.

So a photo would help me to get it right on the model.

That's brilliant, thank you Nigel. It does look right with the Black Horse and you can just make out the Lacons pump clip on one of the handpumps. I bet that would be around the time it was rebuilt. Internal photos of pubs in that era are sadly very rare. Fascinating stuff. 

Thank you very much for those.

I well remember John and Jean Lacey but I am afraid the bay window that I remember must have been a different pub.

Perhaps it was the Thorpe Gardens (Rushcutters), which certainly used to have one.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Vaughan said:

I well remember John and Jean Lacey but I am afraid the bay window that I remember must have been a different pub.

Perhaps it was the Thorpe Gardens (Rushcutters), which certainly used to have one.

Depends on which Black horse pub, that one seems to have existed from 1961... were you old enough? It was the "local" for RAF Neatishead personnel, I went in there many times.. There's two houses on the site now..

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, TheQ said:

Depends on which Black horse pub, that one seems to have existed from 1961... were you old enough?

I think I might remember both pubs. I worked for Tom Percival in Horning in 1967/68 but before then, as a boy, I would also have visited with my father when duck shooting on a pond that he leased in the marshes behind Southgates main yard.

So maybe it was the old pub that had a bay window?

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

Spent an excellent evening at the Black Horse, Hoveton when on a "broads" holiday in 1963. Friend and I were nineteen at the time and thought we were top dogs. superb food, wine and seveal brandies....we knew how to live! Then the owner took us under his wing and introduced us to Hine brandy. Then had the decency to drive us back to our boat in Horning

• Like 1

On 07/07/2020 at 04:29, Vaughan said:

Hasn’t The Buck at Thorpe Green got a bay window at the end nearest the main road?

• 1 year later...
5 hours ago, Emskirocks said:

I know this is an old topic, but i actually grew up in this pub from around 1986 to 1996,my parents were the landlords here, this was my childhood home, lots of happy memories 😊

Did you go to St.John's or Broadland High schools? Wondering if I might know you!

On 07/07/2020 at 09:31, Vaughan said:

I worked for Tom Percival in Horning in 1967/68

@Vaughan just noticed your old post and had to Google to confirm whether you meant Tom the racer, or if his father or another of his family had the same first name. Assuming it's the former I'm a bit thrown thinking how old he'd now be. Can still remember the shock at hearing of his accident.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, dom said:

just noticed your old post and had to Google to confirm whether you meant Tom the racer, or if his father or another of his family had the same first name. Assuming it's the former I'm a bit thrown thinking how old he'd now be. Can still remember the shock at hearing of his accident.

Tom was the son of H.C. (Perci) Percival of Horning and was a very dear friend of mine, although a few years older. He was killed in a power boat racing accident in Belgium in 1984, at the age of 42.

A lot of people of a certain age will say they remember exactly where they were when they heard that President Kenndy had been shot.  An awful lot of people in Norfolk can say the same about Tom's death.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

Tom was the son of H.C. (Perci) Percival of Horning and was a very dear friend of mine, although a few years older. He was killed in a power boat racing accident in Belgium in 1984, at the age of 42.

A lot of people of a certain age will say they remember exactly where they were when they heard that President Kenndy had been shot.  An awful lot of people in Norfolk can say the same about Tom's death.

Indeed I remember it well. I also remember his boat flipping over completely in a race at Well's harbour all those years ago. 

The other times that I saw him racing was of course Oulton Broad.

Some of the boats names escape me. Rooster, the Black Widow. 

Wonderful days, however his loss in Belgium effected all those who knew him and those who admired him for his courage and  racing skills.

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

My memory may be deceiving me, but I think I saw him at an Oulton Broad meeting not long before his accident.

We always used to take two boats from Wroxham to Ranworth on a Saturday evening after turnaround and I can remember waving to one or the other of the family whenever we passed their house on sunny summer evenings. I think I probably went to school with his daughter Katie, but suspect she moved on to a better school later on.

I'm quite surprised he still holds the Oulton lap record and that it didn't eventually go to Peter(?) Sabberton. I can remember the sound of a huge V8 being tuned coming from Sabena Marine when I was working or on our boat around Summercraft. I seem to remember Sabberton's boats were always incredibly loud, terrible cornering, but then blew everything away on the straights.