Dame Vera Lynn Rip.

Vaughan

I have been reading press reports on Vera Lynn's funeral today, and wondered what it would have been like without the COVID restrictions?  I think the Forces would have made it the next best thing to a State Occasion!  As it is, we had a poignant flypast by Spitfires and a bearer party from all three Services.  Military ceremonial and tradition is always missed by journalists these days, who can't be bothered to understand its significance.

There were no officers in the funeral cortège as she was the "Forces Sweetheart" - the darling of the "other ranks" all over the world.

So I just wanted to point out that the guardsman who marched in front of the hearse and who was in charge of the bearer party, was the garrison sergeant - major of Her Majesty's Household Division of Foot Guards.  The most senior non - commissioned officer in the British Army, in full ceremonial uniform with sword and medals.  That is the level of the tribute that was paid!

• Like 9

22 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

The most senior non - commissioned officer in the British Army, in full ceremonial uniform with sword and medals. 

Whilst he's certainly a force to be reckoned with, LONDIST GSM isn't the most senior non-commissioned soldier in the Army anymore. Taking a leaf out of the Yanks' book, there is now an Army Sergeant Major, currently WO1 G Paton.

Couldn't agree more on the rest though. I've been an Army musician for 18 years and there's never a shortage of people wanting a sing song of Vera Lynn's songs, especially at ABF, SSAFA and Legion functions. Truly an iconic woman who was still in regular conversation when I joined in the early 2000s.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vaughan said:

I was a drummer and bugler, when I was at naval college.

Skin-bashers are by far the most talented, and usually most handsome of the lot :16_relieved:

Not so sure about the Naval bit though... :29_smirk:

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, MaceSwinger said:

Skin-bashers are by far the most talented, and usually most handsome of the lot :16_relieved:

Not so sure about the Naval bit though... :29_smirk:

3 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

Taught by the Royal Marines, we were. All part of my mis-spent youth!

Is this the start of a bromance? :default_biggrin:

• Haha 3

11 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

Taught by the Royal Marines, we were. All part of my mis-spent youth!

There is obviously a lot of good-natured rivalry between services. But credit where it's due, the booties know they're stuff when it comes to drumming. 

• Like 1