The Alternative To Timmys Turgid Taverns.

Poppy

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-53363826

The 'Neverspoons' app .

On the app, you can view a map which shows local independent pubs with a green pin and Wetherspoons with a red pin. You can also view a full list of nearby Wetherspoon pubs and you’ll be given a variety of alternatives, including how long it’ll take to walk there from your current location.

The app’s creators say they developed Neverspoons because of the pub chain’s response to the crisis of the last few months. It came under fire in March for refusing to pay suppliers until lockdown had ended and encouraging unpaid staff to take jobs at Tesco. #NeverSpoons has even been trending on Twitter.

Brilliant ! Has anybody tried it yet ?

• Like 3

Problem for me is that, apart from the dire Lowestoft branch, I actually like Wetherspoons! Their Beccles boozer is excellent and a regular haunt of mine, The boss, like many businessmen, pays his bills out of his turnover so no turnover, no paying, I understand that. Telling his staff to find alternative employment, that seemed very sensible to me, for both parties. The bloke has come up with a successful formula, why knock it? 

• Like 1

All interesting stuff. Adnams are the White Knights of the pub Co's as they cancelled rent during the lockdown. Greene King despite their smoke and mirrors excuses still charged full rent to their tenants even though they had no income. Same with the greedy Reuben Brothers - owners of the Wellington Pub Co - worth 18 billion and still screwing their tenants. 

Wetherspoons vary, some up here in flat cap land are full of grey haired old drunks (no not me) and are quite unpleasant and intimidating. There's one on York which is OK and I agree, the Beccles one is better than most. They are OK for grub, it's not Egon Ronay but it's cheap and predicable. I've no time for the owner though. To be fair the staff are, generally, polite and helpful even though I think they have poor pay and conditions. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NorfolkNog said:

. . . . . . here in flat cap land are full of grey haired old drunks (no not me). . . . . . . . 

. . . . . unlike here in captain's cap land where the pubs are full of hairless old drunks , , , , , , , , 

1 hour ago, NorfolkNog said:

To be fair the staff are, generally, polite and helpful

They certainly are in Beccles! Not always the case in Lowestoft though.

3 minutes ago, YnysMon said:

I have avoided Weatherspoons ever since I found out that they aren't dog friendly. I can understand not allowing dogs in their pubs, but why not in their pub gardens and outside seating? 

I'm with you on that one. I won't spend money in a pub that isn't dog friendly even if the dogs aren't with me. I don't count letting them in the garden as dog friendly though. I have been known to have a pint and a meal at the New Inn (Horning) though cos at least they have the veranda bit. We were really pleased when we heard that Roy was taking it over hoping it would be like the Maltsters "any where except the kitchen". I hope the people that  have finally taken over are proper dog friendly.

Dogs belong in pubs, especially in a rural area.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, JennyMorgan said:

. . . . . unlike here in captain's cap land where the pubs are full of hairless old drunks , , , , , , , , 

You wait. When they get a new manager that'll all stop.

• Like 1

As an ex publican myself I avoid frequenting Wetherspoons establishments, with so many smaller individual pubs closing and struggling to exist in today’s market their position is not helped at all by these supermarkets of the licensed trade.

The Regal in Cambridge at one time was Britain’s largest pub and they were selling beer cheaper than many smaller pubs could buy it , most evenings (not just weekends) there are literally hundreds of drunk youngsters spilling out into the road.

When I was trading if your establishment had more than three police call outs to it in a calendar year then an objection would be lodged to the Licensing council with the risk of either a suspension to your licence or restricted hours.

In 2018 The Regal had the police attend disturbances 196 times , plus the numerous times the police were patrolling and went over to prevent a breach of the peace happening outside , yet not only was no action taken but on application the closing time was extended to 04:00 on weekends and 03:00 during the week .

also in 2018 there was 27 cases of taxis being damaged by bottles being thrown from outside The Regal and when stationary in traffic or waiting to pick up a further dozen were also damaged (these figures are only those that were reported to the taxi association there no doubt are more cases unreported).

Support your local small pubs , where you don’t have to queue for 30mins to get a drink , yes it costs more , the bar staff still welcome you with a smile , your feet don’t stuck to the carpet .

we have lost most of our local shops , let’s not lose the unique British local pub 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Cockatoo said:

Dogs belong in pubs, especially in a rural area.

I read a survey the other day where it suggested that over 60% of the population prefer pubs that are dog free! Got to admit that I think it's going too far when a dog is put on the table to eat from the owner's plate but that aside I have no  problem with well mannered dogs, their well mannered owners or their well mannered children, I stress the well mannered bit!

3 hours ago, JennyMorgan said:

Need both laughing smile and thumbs up smilie for this one! Spot on though. 

3 hours ago, YnysMon said:

I have avoided Weatherspoons ever since I found out that they aren't dog friendly. I can understand not allowing dogs in their pubs, but why not in their pub gardens and outside seating? 

Agree! No dogs yet kids can run riot and frequently do. Not everyone does like dogs but many do including me. Been in many pubs over the years and I would say 95 per cent of pub visiting dog owners are very responsible with their pets. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CambridgeCabby said:

The Regal had the police attend disturbances 196 times ,

In Cambridge! Good grief. I thought it was bad up here   in flat cap land.   

1 hour ago, CambridgeCabby said:

Support your local small pubs , where you don’t have to queue for 30mins to get a drink , yes it costs more , the bar staff still welcome you with a smile , your feet don’t stuck to the carpet .

Should frame that :default_icon_bowdown: 

2 hours ago, CambridgeCabby said:

In 2018 The Regal had the police attend disturbances 196 times

C C. The police like it that way, at least they know where most of the town idiots are at any one time.

Makes it easier to control with less officers.

• Haha 1