Any Excuse

Guest mariotech

You do talk some RUBBISH smelly

But don't worry Hooray Henry is coming to get ya :grin:

I guess it depends on which side of the fence you sit. :lol:

As a person who sits on top of the fence on this matter I still feel that video footage like this, especially the last one glorifying speeding on Breydon , might serve to attract the attention of those who would like to see speed limits imposed.

Anyway, must get on with the hoovering so bye for now .... :wave

A fast boat will cross Breydon in between 5 and 10 minutes, once out of the Harbour the nearest port is Lowestoft, only a blip in Sea terms but still 6 Miles, the next stop Southwold at 18 miles and the next the Ore and Auld at about 35 miles.

What may appear to be a prolonged high speed jolly to some across Breydon is absolutely nothing in sea terms, a couple of flat out runs is the minimum to show up any problems that will otherwise snare the owner of a sea boat once they are out in the big pond, where escape becomes a much more hazardous affair.

Wash on Breydon creates nothing that a Broads cruiser will not happily ride and while I agree that courtesy should be extended to all those not used to more than a river ripple the safety aspect of high speed craft on Breydon is no more than the Broads Cruiser skippers ability to ensure that things are stowed safely for the crossing and that crew are kept in a safe area of the boat.

There is as much an argument to not allow hire boats on Breydon, if their skippers are incapable of such basic safe thinking, as there is to impose a speed limit.

No Grey area as far as I see, Breydon is in fact an estuary, with strong currents and a surface that is perfectly capable of producing its own waves of at least the magnitude of those made by a fast sea boat. Once again I would never condone fast boats not showing common courtesy to others but even if they didn't the only safety issue is the skipper of the River Cruiser and the inability of yards to provide basic instruction to a skipper that may enter an estuary.

Being able to test systems (engines are only part of it) is something I miss about no longer having Breydon on our doorstep. By the time we have locked out, transited the harbour at the speed limit we are in the open sea and quite a way home if anything is wrong, this is due to a speed limit.

I guess we could stencil “Harwich Pilots†on the side and test it anyway. :naughty::naughty:

Sunk's not a problem Rod, but it would be a visit to the **** and Bivalve on the way out so you might be a little late boarding. That reminds me, we really must have another visit to the **** and Bivalve when you and Shirley are about the place. cheersbarcheersbar

The old "speed on Breydon" chestnut raises an interesting question....

Late last year, we picked up a rope around one of the drives that caused a vibration. Removing the rope seemed to stop the vibration, but to be sure, I took a trip to Breydon for a couple of high speed runs (all in the interest of testing you understand, no enjoyment was had whatsoever :liar ).

We passed a couple of hire boats in the opposite direction (one of whom wanted us to go past fast, but we resisted!) having slowed to around 6mph, until they were clear of our wash.

On the return leg, however, we again caught up with the cruisers. I did wonder about giving them a wide berth and carrying on planing as we went past them because the wash is really pretty small at planing speeds. However, I did what I thought was the courteous thing and slowed down. As it turned out, one of the cruisers was flat out at about 7mph, so in order to overtake, I had to be doing 8-9mph. This obviously creates quite a lot of wash, and whilst I understand it is the accepted "right thing to do" I am sure from the look on the occupants faces it was a whole lot more uncomfortable for them as a result.

Opinions?

(and please don't say I should have stayed behind them and not overtaken, Smelly. They were not even halfway across Breydon and there was still a mile or so of essential testing to be done! :naughty: )

I have encountered that too Mark. Much as the broads cruisers moan about the wash, unless they slow down to let a faster boat pass they are forcing the boat that wants to pass onto the hump where the wash will be at its worst and much fist waving will occur.

Again it comes down to a lack of knowledge by the hire crew but surely this should be highlighted by the yards?

Again it comes down to a lack of knowledge by the hire crew but surely this should be highlighted by the yards?

Not sure it would be practical Ian. The poor hirers have so much to take in (especially the novices) during their trial runs that even the information they do get can be an overload.

I guess it depends on which side of the fence you sit. :lol:

As a person who sits on top of the fence on this matter I still feel that video footage like this, especially the last one glorifying speeding on Breydon , might serve to attract the attention of those who would like to see speed limits imposed.

Anyway, must get on with the hoovering so bye for now .... :wave

Smellyloo I dont hear you making any comments about 2 1/2 mins into the clip where we slow right down and turn and speed up again, at no point compromising the safety of the hire craft clearly visible in the clip at least 150 yards away. :naughty:

Once when we were on Braydon i was actually encouraged to pass a boat at speed........the broads authority launch on patrol,he opted for a broken 6 inch wash oposed to a 2 ft full hump wash,hire boaters are aware of the dangers of braydon they are made aware of them by the yards or in the guides if they take no notice then more fools them,mention has been made of speeding on Braydon..sorry there,s no speed limit!!. A planning boat at the other side of the marked channel from a hire boat will make hardly any difference to the hire boat so there,s absolutly no reason why you should slow down as long as there,s enough space between the two boats,indeed a lot of hire boaters love to see a high speed boat doing what comes natural to it planning! as most are boating people anyway.

i won,t tell you what a pair of sailing boats did when i was approaching them at 34 knots....but i bet you can imagine!!

If there ever was a Speed Limit introduced on Breydon. i would hope that it would be something sensible, like 40 Knots. Lol.

Mind you, unless there had been quite a few collisions due to speeding, then i guess there won't ever be a need for one.

They couldn't blame wash, because that ones been around for a long time and hasn't changed.

I guess the problem lies with the glitzy, fast planing sports cruisers whose only useful function appears to be ..... well going fast at a tremendous cost. Prusumably to satisfy the owners lust for power.

The more "proper" sea going vessels which progress at a much more sedate speeds appear to cause no such problems, OK they don't carry canvas which is a shame, but even so they look like proper little ships which attract admiring glances, not to mention the fact that they are actually built for function .... to actually travel to places, safely and at a much more reasonable cost. ;)

No Chance of a rise.

Would ask the point of a sail driven machine though? For most people with jobs taking one of these out to sea means going nowhere a lot of the time, or at least not in the direction they wanted to go, wrong type of wind, tide going the wrong way, etc. will generally result in the boat becoming a slow motor boat due to its undersized engine being called into action.

If those that complain about fast boats on Breydon are too stupid or incapable of reading the advice given to them about Breydon then it is there own fault if something happens.

People should be considerate of others at all times but even if someone was not the chances of a dangerous situation being caused by it are extreemly low, at least if the other boat is prepared for the conditions it is likely to encounter. :Stinky:Stinky

last year I was take a fast run over Breydon Water, there was only on other boat on there, a hire boat, he was going the same way as us and we were catching him up quickly. To my surprise there was a guy a camera hanging over the side trying to take photos and I mean really hanging out of the side of the boat, no life jacket or anything and he was urging us on, I guess he was trying to get some sort of action shot. Needless to say I slowed up before I got to them, sorry to disappoint the guy but I really didn't want to practice the MOB drill! :o

I have seen people crossing Breydon with scant regard for the place, kids on the outsides of boats, people laid on the roofs of boats. Scary! I think part of the problem with people not seeing the potential dangers of Breydon is the fact that is surrounded by land (well mud) and not all realise its a tidal estuary with some quite strong currents ant certain times of the tide, lets face there is a lot of water going either in or out of the place! I believe the main reason for speed limits be applied to the rivers in the first place was to help decrease bank erosion, this is not a problem on Breydon.

hire boaters are aware of the dangers of braydon they are made aware of them by the yards or in the guides

Nowhere in those guides though, Trev, does it mention boats passing at speed. Any hirer seeing a glitzy planing boat driven by an owner with lust for speed and power would not understand that being passed at speed if far more comfortable than being passed with the boat producing a hump wash.

Nowhere in those guides though, Trev, does it mention boats passing at speed. Any hirer seeing a glitzy planing boat driven by an owner with lust for speed and power would not understand that being passed at speed if far more comfortable than being passed with the boat producing a hump wash.

Yes but the red blooded one,s really relish it!! ;):wave:grin: