Planning Row near Norwich

quo vadis

i think they should be left alone its doing no harm....

if they want to get petty what about that floating pontoon they purchased with the dredging crane on that shouldn't be on the water as they doesn't come under a boat put its got a toll that's been payed for & i bet its insured under a boat well i think it would be...

Jonny ice slice

also that floating Chinese restraint in Norwich what about that im shure there is plenty more out there....

Jonny

I strongly suspect that the floating restaurant has planning permission, which is where the problem lies with this abomination.

I'm firmly of the opinion that it's not a boat, it's a shed built on top of a boat. Even if they put an engine in it (which isn't that hard, or at least wouldn't have been before they built the shed), I suspect it wouldn't be stable enough to move with any degree of safety.

A pity really, as if they'd spent the money fitting out the flat barge it's resting on then they could have had a usable (although probably not very pretty) houseboat, and probably wouldn't have attracted the attention of the BA.

I strongly suspect that the floating restaurant has planning permission, which is where the problem lies with this abomination.

That's exactly right TD.

I am not anti-liveaboard, and indeed the idea of living on a boat has many attractions to me personally.

The problem is that there has to be some regulation, or many areas would quickly look like Hong Kong harbour.

I don't think many people realise how prominent the location of this one is.

Also, as Boaters has already pointed out, the owner talking about engines is pointless, since the two bridges either side of it have around 7 ft headroom, so it's cruising area is a few hundred yards.

post-669-136713793037_thumb.jpg

îž hi all , to me that looks like a dissaster waiting to happen, one bad gust of wind & it will blow over, it looks too top heavy for that little barge, you could never take that across breydon. î’î’ it looks to me like it was built out of pallets. Oops did'nt someone say they'd lost some î•. lori

I had the misfortune to have to take lunch at the rushcutters most days for 2/3 weeks during some of the time they were building this abomination.

Talk about 'jerry built' Boat/houseboat/holiday home whatever you want to call this pile of poo.... No wonder it only cost £3000, and most of the wood was of dubious origin as I was witness to how it was 're-cycled' for use as building materials.

Solve it with 2gallons of 5 star and strike a match. :River Police:River Police

By the way I am in support of liveaboards, proper houseboats and holiday homes as they are part and parcel of broads living. But these people are just taking the mickey big time. two gunstwo gunstwo guns

It seems that we have decended into a rude rant concerning somebody elses business.

Whether you like this vessel or not is irrelevant.

It should be left to the proper authorities to judge, not open forum with spiteful, potentially hurtfull comments.

Just my opinion of course. :norty:

It should be left to the proper authorities to judge, not open forum with spiteful, potentially hurtfull comments. Just my opinion of course. :norty:

They already have Lou, the 'erberts who cobled it together chose not to accept that decision and are appealing (unlike the structure).

I passed this today on the River,perhaps they should have bought a caravan and fixed it to the barge,it would look a lot better,its also decorated with coloured lights,must look very seasonal when lit up.

However on my trip up through Norwich today I saw several abandoned and rotting old boats which actually look a lot worse,what are the BA doing about removing them.

The authoritys have never liked Thorpe Island been used by people who live on their own boats,perhaps this is just phase 1,phase 2 being to rid the area of all liveaboard boats.

Phase 3 will probably be outside the Waterfront in Norwich,what a mess that is.

• 6 months later...
We passed it by a couple of weeks ago and personally I didn't know whether to cry or fall about laughing..... :cry:lol:

the thing is john you have to look at it this way... if you dint have your lush Alpha & was in there shoes it would be a hole different story ....

there not doing no harm there out on a stretch of the river that not many visit.... least there paying there toll as far as i know unlike the BA's work boats

Jonny

least there paying there toll as far as i know unlike the BA's work boats

It's a good job the BA don't, because it saves the toll payers money. The total toll cost of all of their boats would run into thousands pa, which would then have to be paid by the toll payers, as a legitimate overhead. (Let's hope they never do) :shocked

the thing is john if you dint have your lush Alpha & was in there shoes it would be a hole different story ....Jonny

I object to that, Jonny. Mary-Jane and I have worked bloody hard all our lives to save up enough money to afford our "lush Alpha".

Get off your horse about the "moneyed people" and get real.....