Ideas For A Boaty Day Out Not On The Broads

YnysMon

Can anyone suggest any options for a day boat or weekend hire boats within an hour or so from Milton Keynes? To give some context, we are about an hour from both Cambridge/Ely and Oxford and the Grand Union Canal runs through MK. I have a ‘significant’ birthday coming up next month (as has Griff I believe) and would love to spend it on a river or canal but without spending quite as much time in a car journey there and back as a trip to the Broads would involve. I checked out a nearby canal hire company and was shocked to find a weekend break would cost £999. Ouch! So that’s not an option. :default_huh:

• Like 1

Guest Jayfire

I can bring me inflatable dinghy and plonk it on the canal for you Helen. Hell seeing as its your 60th birthday, I'll even be your gondolier, my gift to you.

But not too much kissing and canoodling with Mr Ynys whilst I'm busy working, that can wait for later 

200.gif.50fcf279df23052514a6aa6e5e2c18a3.gif

Guest Jayfire

You're most welcome Helen, I can picture the look of joy on your face as I tell you to take your shoes off so they don't puncture my boat lining.

You don't look anything like 60 though Hells. Nope, your 60th birthday will come as a shock to many that you're 60. That 60 really took us all by surprise. 60.

:default_biggrin:

60 :default_xmas2:

Thanks Jay and Howard. In my head I’m still 20. 60 has sort of snuck up on me. :default_blink:
Likewise, I'm 60, going on 30 next Monday. Hopefully heading home to Brundall from Oulton Broad on first outing of the year that day... How time flies!

Sent from the Norfolk Broads Network mobile app

• Like 1

Bridge Boatyard Ely.  They were corporate members of GOBA so you could use their moorings, Their mooring right in the centre of Wicken Fen is wonderful. The cruise to Brandon along The Little Ouse is lovely, St Ives is doable, or you could explore The Wissey, Lark, Cam etc. Ely itself is a great "explore" city.

• Like 1

I suspect short breaks will be in short supply if the bookings on the Broads are anything to go by, but a site worth checking is Latelink https://www.latelink.com/ .

Alternatively you suggested a day boat. Two companies I have hired from and can recommend - although I did do weekly hire and not day boats - are:

Union Canal Carriers at Braunston https://unioncanalcarriers.co.uk/property/ouzel-ii/ 

Kris Cruisers on the Thames at Datchet https://www.kriscruisers.co.uk/day-boats/

• Like 1

9 hours ago, YnysMon said:

. . . . . . . . In my head I’m still 20. . . . . . . . . . . . 

I know that feeling . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . until I try to do something strenuous, then I realise that I’m definitely not 20 and feel every one of my 64 years!!😁

• Like 1

10 hours ago, YnysMon said:

Can anyone suggest any options for a day boat or weekend hire boats within an hour or so from Milton Keynes? To give some context, we are about an hour from both Cambridge/Ely and Oxford and the Grand Union Canal runs through MK. I have a ‘significant’ birthday coming up next month (as has Griff I believe) and would love to spend it on a river or canal but without spending quite as much time in a car journey there and back as a trip to the Broads would involve. I checked out a nearby canal hire company and was shocked to find a weekend break would cost £999. Ouch! So that’s not an option. :default_huh:

You can buy a dinghy, join Dovecot sailing Club At Haversham, https://www.havershamsc.org/club-history.html and sail for less than that..

on the Northern Edge of MK (says he a former member when we moved to that lake..)

AS already suggested definitely Kris Cruisers, I maybe biased as I worked there for 10 years but they knock spots off the competition !  If you fancy canals I can recommend Kate Boats in Warwick or Stockton as we've had 2 boats from them plus they are dog friendly.  For a short break I would avoid going up Hatton Locks though as it's about 3 hours each way !

• Like 1

How about hiring something for the day in Henley on Thames;

https://www.hobbsofhenley.com/chauffeured-launches

They appear to have a collection for self drive. Take your own delicious picnic or get them to provide one. I have done this before and it is fun cruising down the river and gazing in awe at some amazing houses. I think you can hire rowing skiffs too which are arguably more fun. I tried to find one of those beautiful Slipper launches for hire  for you but haven't found one yet.

Henley on T looks around 1 hour 20 mins from MK by the way.

Have a glorious birthday.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TheQ said:

You can buy a dinghy, join Dovecot sailing Club At Haversham, https://www.havershamsc.org/club-history.html and sail for less than that..

Coincidentally, I've just come off a skype call with my boss who was telling me he's taken out membership for his family with the Haversham club, and how reasonable the annual fee is.

When I lived in The Thames Valley area I would use Henley Sales and Charter. I found them very good. However the charter cost were down to business expenses so not quite so painful.

24 minutes ago, YnysMon said:

Coincidentally, I've just come off a skype call with my boss who was telling me he's taken out membership for his family with the Haversham club, and how reasonable the annual fee is.

It always was reasonable when I was a member and when I was on the committee we tried to keep it that way. The Move to Haversham lake from the lake next to the motorway was a big step as was buying the place...

At £171 Family  membership is more expensive than Horning Sailing club @ £133, but the moorings for a dinghy are cheaper at Dovecote. Our Horning island is way smaller than the berths at Haversham.

This is the latest picture of Haversham, when we moved ther only the berths to the south of the club house were needed, though we just started making the extension to the north. So it looks like membership has over doubled since 2001

and the small space at Horning 

Capture.JPG

Capture.JPG

• Like 1

Well! For a person who doesn't normally do much to celebrate birthdays, it's starting to look like this one is going to be extra, extra special. We are borrowing Water Rail for the weekend before my birthday from Dave. He is a star, and what a privilege! We did have the option of the weekend of my birthday, but Harry has to work the Saturday, and I would like to be with my boys as well as Graham on the day. Just hoping Harry doesn't have to work Sunday 2nd August.

I'm thinking that we could take a walk somewhere or maybe try out a punt in Oxford or Cambridge for the actual birthday, with a special picnic of course, and weather depending.

I feel like dancing!

:default_party0042:

Also this...

:default_party0018:

and this

:default_party0010:

Cheers Dave! :default_beerchug:

:default_stinky:

• Like 3