How to remove scale/encrustation

Is there a easy way to remove scale/encrustation from the lower leg of an outboard or outdrive, without removing/damaging the paint below it?

A chemical agent maybe?

The boat spends all it's time on the Broads, so the build up of scale is from brackish/fresh water only.

Dave

Yes, it was pressure wash when it was lifted out Jim.

The hull, which was antifouled, is now nice and clean, and ready fro a fresh coat of antifouling.

The prop is nice and clean, but its just the lower leg that has a lot of, like limescale on it.

You can pick it off with a fingernail, but that would take forever, and leave me with no finger nails :lol:

I was wondering if something like a kitchen limescale remover would soften it, such as ViaCal or similar.

Dave

Is there a easy way to remove scale/encrustation from the lower leg of an outboard or outdrive, without removing/damaging the paint below it?

A chemical agent maybe?

The boat spends all it's time on the Broads, so the build up of scale is from brackish/fresh water only.

Dave

Easy......wife, clitit bang scrubbing brush.............DUCK!!!

I tried vaious scale removers on my Stainless Prop, but found that the best one for me was Lime Lite using a toothbrush to scrub it with.

However, it was still hard work and took several applications to remove it. Good luck & happy scrubbing

Guest DAYTONA-BILL
In bygone days I used to use vinegar; being acidic it eats lime-scale away a breeze. Pickling variety is best as it's 6% acidic rather than the 3 (ish) % of normal vinegar. :dance:party:

I never knew that. Down here in Dorset the water is very hard, so the shower head suffers badly from limescale, will pickling vinegar be good on that?.

Vinegar is primarily Acetic Acid, and of course lime-scale being alkaline, will be attacked by any acidic solution.

The problem is that 6% concentration is quite low, and I would think that an object would need to be immersed in it for a while, as opposed to just brushing it it, whereby it would run off.

Something which is thick and cream like, would stay in place long enough to react with the scale.

I reckon the likes of Lime Light, as suggested by Grant, or ViaCal might do the 'trick'.

Dave

In the same way as oxalic acid just runs off a surface unless you add some wallpaper paste, normal limescale removers are only really any good on light stains or horizontal surfaces where they will stay for a while. Try using one of the “gel†products from Viakal et al, they stay on vertical surfaces and act for much longer. It will even stay on a shower head if you invert it.

You could try AcidWash80. This is an industrial de-scaler.

Please note it is NOT suitable for stainless steel. I believe the Rangers use it for cleaning the hulls of their patrol boats. It's excellent for cleaning the muck from the waterline. I've used it for several years now, and there is no sign of any damage to gel coat or paint work.

It is quite strong hydrochloric acid and can be diluted to whatever strength you want. Readily available from Hugh Crane's in Acle. It's not expensive and MUCH better than oxalic acid (Y-10 and the like).

You'll find their website here http://www.cloverchem.co.uk/uk/products/toilet_acid_wash80_uk.htm