Richardson New Sedan Boat

andyg

Hi all we were thinking of hiring Richardson new sedan boat for June next year. Sadly it has dissapeard off there website, I'm assuming this project has been scrapped as it was showing for hire just a couple of weeks ago. As far as I was aware it was in build originally due for launching about now. Shame as we like this style of boat and was looking forward to seeing her afloat before we booked. I guess another victim of COVID. I assume she would of been left up for hire if she was still going ahead for 2021. 

Yeah, I think she'll reappear on the website later in the year.

A lot of work was done and while obviously it would have made no sense to complete her and put into the fleet for this year, I assume she'll be ready for the start of next season.

I've just been for a pump out at Richardsons(£15) and chatting to the chap he said that the build sheds had been shut down and all the boat builders had been made redundant. 

8 hours ago, C.Ricko said:

Yep, Sad but true, nearly 11 years of good times and onto build number  48. 

Hopefully some exciting news pretty soon,  also I have a new project being started. 

Hi Clive, has that really been 11 years since you started the new build program. Blimey 

Hi Andy, 

Yes, my Daughter was born on the 16th October and we started on Monday the 19th, thats how I remember her birthday!

Over the years we had built from scratch a superb set up muddling through quite a bit of it while setting up and evolving but the Team I had were awesome and a really talented bunch, they  are in my opinion  some of the most experienced skilled people in the business and will no doubt be successful in their chosen paths. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, C.Ricko said:

Over the years we had built from scratch a superb set up muddling through quite a bit of it while setting up and evolving but the Team I had were awesome and a really talented bunch, they  are in my opinion  some of the most experienced skilled people in the business and will no doubt be successful in their chosen paths. 

That reads as being rather final!  No more molding in the foreseeable future? If so then that's tragic. 

That's sad to hear Clive but totally understandable in the current climate, who knows what next year will bring.  The broadsman is a fantastic boat and in my opinion is by far the best  moden center cockpit boat built on the broads in years.They done a great job putting that together, it was getting a bit boring with all the old alpha moulds being churned out. Sorry to say this but Len funnels boat designer has produced some shockers to be fair, think he must of been wearing his nans glasses whilst drawing them up. Good luck with the future projects.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

22 hours ago, andyg said:

Sorry to say this but Len funnels boat designer has produced some shockers to be fair

Sorry to hear Clive’s news. However I do feel that I have to keep defending Ferry Marina’s boats. I know they’re not to everyone’s taste but they’re lovely to hire and we would take them over and over. Personal taste but I do wish people here wouldn’t be quite so insulting about them. 

• Like 3

Ferry Marina's New boats may not be as pleasing to the eye  for some but I find that their interior has an excellent layout and are very  comfortable.  They are very easy to handle and give great visibility from the upper helm.I am quite happy with the trade off to be able to hire this type of boat.

• Like 4

I agree. When I look at the Richardson's boats they look great, the interiors look great. But, they don't look like you can see out and enjoy the great views of the Broads. We moored next to one last year and I saw that when the crew stood up they could only just see out. The Ferry boats on the other hand look like they are built with the occupants on mind. It's a bit like when you drive past that picture postcard thatched cottage and think you'd like to live there only to realise if you did you'd be looking out onto a busy main road. Its the passing motorists who get all the pleasure, not you...

Still, it's a shame Richardson's have stopped building. Let's hope it's just a pause. Interested to hear what Clive's new project is.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, SwanR said:

However I do feel that I have to keep defending Ferry Marina’s boats. I know they’re not to everyone’s taste but they’re lovely to hire and we would take them over and over. Personal taste but I do wish people here wouldn’t be quite so insulting about them. 

I think the problem that we always have with them is that they could have been made to look better. I totally get that boxy boats have lots of interior space, like we used to have back in the 80's.

They don't need to be ugly, though, that's just laziness and is why the world and his dog aren't asking for a set of mouldings like they are with the RC45.

Even the reworked version that Haines did was a big improvement.

• Like 1

Sad to here this, we were especially keen to try the new Sedan style boat.

It would be nice as a family of four, not haveing to hire a boat with lots of berths, just so you can get a modern boat.

Sent from my iPhone using Norfolk Broads Network

I do like the sedan style. An elevated saloon with great views out through large patio windows come rain or shine. I do hope Richardson's find a way to complete it. I notice that recently both Ferry Marine and Herbert Woods have decided to add covers to the rear deck areas of their sedan cruisers. This seems very odd. Why having gone to all the expense of a design with large patio windows giving great views do you want to block the view with some black tarpaulin?  

Re covers, extra rooms on boats, I really don't understand it. For example a number of good looking boats have dual steering positions, an interior one for when it rains and an exterior one for when the sun shines, great but what do folk go and do, they then have fitted an ugly,  mega pram hood affair enclosing the outside steering position which will remain up even on the sunniest of days!  Is it a desire to return to the womb? I don't know the answer but I suppose for some folk their is comfort in being in an enclosed space. I'm afraid that Norfolk's cover makers have a lot to answer for! Some of the hideous, yurt like structures now seen despoiling otherwise good looking boats is on the increase. Open spaces and fresh air, wondrous!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, RS2021 said:

I do like the sedan style. An elevated saloon with great views out through large patio windows come rain or shine. I do hope Richardson's find a way to complete it. I notice that recently both Ferry Marine and Herbert Woods have decided to add covers to the rear deck areas of their sedan cruisers. This seems very odd. Why having gone to all the expense of a design with large patio windows giving great views do you want to block the view with some black tarpaulin?  

Not to sure maybe it can be lowered in daytime and rolled up by night depending if there is no removable seat squabs

2 minutes ago, Matthew12 said:

Not to sure maybe it can be lowered in daytime and rolled up by night depending if there is no removable seat squabs

I'm sure they can. But I've never found one which isn't a great hassle to do. And there is always the rolled up bit in the way of something. Patio doors slide open when warm. Slide closed when cool. Curtains slide closed at night or for shade. Simples.

• Like 2

On 17/07/2020 at 13:07, SwanR said:

Sorry to hear Clive’s news. However I do feel that I have to keep defending Ferry Marina’s boats. I know they’re not to everyone’s taste but they’re lovely to hire and we would take them over and over. Personal taste but I do wish people here wouldn’t be quite so insulting about them. 

Yes don't take my personal taste but they have nice layouts

I suspect that they can be rolled up or removed but in many instances they seemingly become permanent structures!  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RS2021 said:

I'm sure they can. But I've never found one which isn't a great hassle to do. And there is always the rolled up bit in the way of something. Patio doors slide open when warm. Slide closed when cool. Curtains slide closed at night or for shade. Simples.

Yes they are quite a hassle nice to have a bit of shade tho

Yes they are quite a hassle nice to have a bit of shade tho

On a sedan you have a full roof for that. If you want shade sit inside with the doors fully open. If you are a sun worshipper sit on the back deck.

• Like 1