Richardson New Sedan Boat

andyg

3 minutes ago, Matthew12 said:

I guess so be such a hassle on the Southern River with bad winds and things like that. I'm think of hiring sandfly. A bounty 27 sedan which doesn't have a canopy

Looks a nice design of boat. I think you will enjoy it.

In days of old the outside of a boat was designed first then the inside was fitted into the outside so to speak. Now it seems that the inside is designed first and then the outside fitted around the inside. I can see the sense in doing that but I would never be able to take any pride in owning one of those super ugly boats!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Matthew12 said:

I'm pretty sure brooms have canopy on there sedan boats which is similar to woods

I think you are right, although some styles need it e.g. Skipper. On the sedans it's not obvious you have to look very carefully to see it and it's not in the description. Many of their publicity shots show the rear cockpit without it. Clearly the selling point for this style of boat. So why put it on and why hide it in the description of the boat. I think if I turned up having booked the boat on the basis of the description I'd be a bit miffed. Probably ask the yard to take it completely off before we left.

44 minutes ago, RS2021 said:

I think you are right, although some styles need it e.g. Skipper. On the sedans it's not obvious you have to look very carefully to see it and it's not in the description. Many of their publicity shots show the rear cockpit without it. Clearly the selling point for this style of boat. So why put it on and why hide it in the description of the boat. I think if I turned up having booked the boat on the basis of the description I'd be a bit miffed. Probably ask the yard to take it completely off before we left.

When we hire one of the Captain class on arrival the rear was covered, It took me minutes to take it off and was easily done. I stored it away at the back before hand over, where it remained for the duration.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, webntweb said:

Wife and I hired one of those, Swan Roamer, in the 90s. Never been a fan of sedans previously but was pleasantly surprised. Think you'll enjoy your holiday on one. 

0921a Chris Swancraft.jpg

Thanks webntweb I heard sandersons are doing well with waterways hilidays

• Like 1

On 16/07/2020 at 14:41, andyg said:

That's sad to hear Clive but totally understandable in the current climate, who knows what next year will bring.  The broadsman is a fantastic boat and in my opinion is by far the best  moden center cockpit boat built on the broads in years.They done a great job putting that together, it was getting a bit boring with all the old alpha moulds being churned out. Sorry to say this but Len funnels boat designer has produced some shockers to be fair, think he must of been wearing his nans glasses whilst drawing them up. Good luck with the future projects.

Most of the same original team will hopefully be building the new moulds, we start on Monday, it's a personal venture and we are out on a limb a bit, but its what we as a team want to do so we are all taking a bit of a risk, but have decided that in life you have to do interesting things which you can take pride in and what makes you happy. 

Ferry marina and Richardsons used the same designer for their boats, the team who built the Richardson's moulds and boats had massive input from the point of development, this time we  are using a different designer, but previously the brief was to make a boat with a sloping sheer line which will pass under Potter Heigham and Wroxham bridges. I have better ideas these days about what we need and where the problems are and the team has (unwittingly at times) been involved with design from day one.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

Good news, but had I not bought into a syndicate I would still be looking for a boat that could get under Wroxham and Beccles bridges. All the boats we hired were chosen with that in mind. I’m mystified why anyone would choose a boat that cuts you off from some of the most delightful stretches of the rivers. Maybe I shouldn’t be...keeps those stretches quiet for the rest of us.

• Like 6

10 hours ago, YnysMon said:

I’m mystified why anyone would choose a boat that cuts you off from some of the most delightful stretches of the rivers

I think there are two opposing desires here. The hirer wants something that looks sleek and flash, and to be able to hang out on the upper deck watching the world go by, but these are the very type of boat which will not allow passage under Wroxham and maybe Beccles bridges. Unless they've visited the Broads previously, they are more likely to plump for the smart looking "instragrammable" boat. 

• Like 4

I'd say Clive's being realistic.

A boat built to go under Potter is fantastically flexible in terms of where you can go, but in terms of hire very few people go up there any more (and that will only reduce) and so you're compromising the design of the boat in terms of headroom and interior space.

Having been a syndicate owner on a Diamond 43, that is a clever bit of design in some ways but equally it suffers from its low airdraft in that for its size there's not actually as much interior space as you'd think.

Compare the way that the original Alpha 35 centre cockpit is packaged, there's an enormous amount of space for the size and they'll still pass under Wroxham Bridge. The other comparison for the Diamond 43 is the Aquafibre Crystal 37 - Considerably shorter but a dual steer with 8ft air draft and there is a lot less wasted space and actually not that much of a difference in terms of room inside.

I think one of the key things here is that 80's designs were very spacious but still looked decent. A nicely-fitted Alpha 35 still looks classy, and a Crystal 37 is still an impressive-looking boat although I don't think they got the rear end quite right visually - Stick an integrated bathing platform (with steps) on the back and make it 40 feet and you have a much better proposition, though.

• Like 2

Designs that I find unattractive others love and visa-versa , I’ve made no secret of my distaste of Ferry Marina and now also WRC’s newer offerings looks but last week I saw many many very happy families holidaying aboard them , and have heard comment on here and in person from those who think they are stunning.

I can only imagine the comments years ago when the bounty type of boat and the Hampton style first appeared , we now look at these as “proper Broads boats” and with affection .

If every boat looked identical it would be a boring scene , long live variety.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, CambridgeCabby said:

I can only imagine the comments years ago when the bounty type of boat and the Hampton style first appeared

I can still hear my uncle Alf, back in the early 60's. We were on a Ripplecraft Broadland boat (sturdy wood!) and moored at Ranworth next to one of the first F.B.Wilds Caribbeans. "They'll never catch on - fibreglass - one puff of wind and they're all over the place". Never one to see the coming trends was uncle Alf! :default_biggrin:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, YnysMon said:

I’m mystified why anyone would choose a boat that cuts you off from some of the most delightful stretches of the rivers.

As a hirer you can choose a different boat each time. As a relative newcomer to the Broads we chose a boat which wouldn't go through Wroxham and there is plenty on the Broads to go at and enjoy. But sooner or later we'll choose one which can get under the bridges and explore those stretches. If you are buying, either out right or into a syndicate it's a different matter. You get only one choice.

• Like 3

On 20/07/2020 at 18:52, C.Ricko said:

Most of the same original team will hopefully be building the new moulds, we start on Monday, it's a personal venture and we are out on a limb a bit, but its what we as a team want to do so we are all taking a bit of a risk, but have decided that in life you have to do interesting things which you can take pride in and what makes you happy. 

Ferry marina and Richardsons used the same designer for their boats, the team who built the Richardson's moulds and boats had massive input from the point of development, this time we  are using a different designer, but previously the brief was to make a boat with a sloping sheer line which will pass under Potter Heigham and Wroxham bridges. I have better ideas these days about what we need and where the problems are and the team has (unwittingly at times) been involved with design from day one.

On 17/07/2020 at 13:07, SwanR said:

Sorry to hear Clive’s news. However I do feel that I have to keep defending Ferry Marina’s boats. I know they’re not to everyone’s taste but they’re lovely to hire and we would take them over and over. Persona

Good luck with the new venture Clive, look forward to seeing what you guys are up to. Is it safe to assume hire fleet building will stop for now untill the dust settles from this bloody covid nightmare. Also will you finish the sedan that was in the shed for next year ?? 

• Like 1

I think with every design of boat there is a compromise, either height and views over lower bridges or upper helms and loss of interior space, walk round beds/ coffin beds, separate toilets and showers or loads of beds, aft well, engine out back etc etc.. 

Stalham won't be building for a little while i doubt but there is a Monaco which is nearly finished. 

• Like 4

they all have jobs lined up or are currently working, Oyster has been taking on 100 new staff every 6 months since they moved to to Tunstead, its not really news any more, i know a few good people there. 

• Like 5