North To South Flotilla Aug 06th

Some of you / us will be aware there is a tiny insignificant event occurring at Beccles Fri 07 - Sun 09th Aug - The annual Wooden Boat show / gathering (Speak to JA for further details if required)

Anyroadup, traditionally some of us get together for the trip South for a mini Cruise in Company.  Anyone is welcome to tag along for some or all of the cruise, be it hirer / private, tupperware or biodegradable, even Rag n Stick !

I've been looking at the tide times and they are not ideal but doable with regards to the timings, however in the normal manner we can only work with what we have got.

Onboard 'B.A' we would like to arrive at Oulton Broad for Thurs 06th afternoon.  Low water at GYA on Thurs 06th is 0627.  Therefore we need to be at GYA no later than 0827 allowing for headroom at t bridges.

Daylight isn't a problem as it is light from around 0530.

I propose those that wish to,  muster overnight at Stracey Arms area moorings Wednesday evening 05th with a view to sailing latest at 0700 Thursday morning.  This should mean transiting down to GYA on the last of the Ebb arriving at GYA after 0800.  Alternatively moor overnight at Stokesby Ferry, however, moorings there are more likely to be busy so you will have to get alongside earlier and set of at 0645 to meet up with those of us at Stracey moorings.

Btw - A stop of for a DTS at the Dukes Head Somerleyton en-route would not be considered unacceptable

Over to youhoooooooo

Griff

• Like 3

Whilst I expect this year's Beccles Boat Show to go ahead, we are having to run a very reduced event to comply with the temporary Covid lead legislation. You will all have seen event after event lost or cancelled as the year has progressed just because compliance is a nightmare. I am trying very hard to not let BWBS become another.

With rules and regulations changing almost daily we could still yet be thwarted...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Oulton Broad Regatta is hoping to go ahead this year, Covid 19 willing. As I understand it the event will be limited to local boats, e.g. only Broads based and boats must only be crewed by family members. Shore based activities are likely to be nil. I would have thought that the same could easily apply to the Beccles event. 

we could have a masked ball, it would have to be line dancing with 2m spacing though.

heres a thought, how about we all make masks for the front of the boats, a pillow case tied over the prow of the boat. (would that appease the health and safety bods)

at worst we can still have the cruise in company and moor up at oulton and beccles as individuals even if its not official.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Victoryv said:

The first sign that this is an established event, its no longer the Beccles Wooden Boat Show its been abbreviated, BWBS.

The " not to be missed" event on the Broads

Well done as usual Dave

3 hours ago, JennyMorgan said:

Oulton Broad Regatta is hoping to go ahead this year, Covid 19 willing. As I understand it the event will be limited to local boats, e.g. only Broads based and boats must only be crewed by family members. Shore based activities are likely to be nil. I would have thought that the same could easily apply to the Beccles event. 

2 hours ago, grendel said:

we could have a masked ball, it would have to be line dancing with 2m spacing though.

heres a thought, how about we all make masks for the front of the boats, a pillow case tied over the prow of the boat. (would that appease the health and safety bods)

at worst we can still have the cruise in company and moor up at oulton and beccles as individuals even if its not official.

As I said, a full announcement will be going out next week once the protocols are finalised. It will be a reduced event due to our imposed 30 person limit but, as always, we will put on a good display.

• Like 1

No confusion Mike, the one that Dave sorts out for us every year is the 'Proper' one from OBYS through to Beccles.  He generally leaves it up to the skippers to get ourselves to OBYS or Beccles in good time to partake in the Wooden Boat C-in-C proper.

I get asked every year, as I have this time if others can accompany me/us in the cruise over Breydon.  That's all I'm putting out there assuming the show will go ahead as we all hope.

Imho - it's not pointless, I like to be prepared in plenty of time and not leave letting others know when I intend to go to the last minute so they can plan accordingly.  That way we are ready and if Beccles doesn't happen, we have lost nowt other than few posts on this thread

Griff

• Like 2

wrong ,  dave has sorted the run from north to south for at least the last 2 years and had this one sorted as well, as i said, pointless advertising until the event is finalised.

might have been good manners to have spoken to dave first

• 3 weeks later...

That’d be nice

We are underway, Robin on t helm. Manxman 20 mins in front. Plus two more in front of us. We have just passed Thurne mouth at 1735

PMR CH4

there will be quite a few of us at Stracey tonight. 

DTS in Dukes head tomorrow? We’ll be there 

Griff

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, BroadAmbition said:

That’s six craft at Stracey safely alongside. One with a ‘slight’ leak but a team effort sorted that out. Another craft on its way due soon. Tomorrow our little flotilla will enjoy crossing Breydon 

Griff

So envious, all day Ive been at work thinking we should be mooring up at Stracey tonight, grrrrrrr 

Have a great time everyone and hopefully we will be there next year. 

• Like 1