Broom 32 Sea Pilot

Cal

Good afternoon Guys and Girls.

Just after picking your very knowledgeable brains if I may please?

We are interested in having a look at a boat for sale that is Broom 32 Sea Pilot.

We have never even heard of this boat model before so would be grateful for any information you wise folks might hold on them.

The boat in question is a mid 80's hull  with a Perkins 4.108 engine.

The model is just Broom 32, Sea Pilot was the name Broom gave to the ones fitted out for their hire fleet. We have hired them a number of times and they are lovely, comfortable and practical boats. I have an idea that one or two forum members own one.

Looks very much like the Aquafibre 32 dual helm to me.  There are still several on hire fleets across the Broads.  We hired Gainsborough Girl a couple of years ago and found it to be spacious and comfortable for a relatively small boat.  Sleeps four in comfort, two heads decent galley and good visibility from both helm positions.  Downsides are the height of the transom, making boarding her when stern moored a bit of a trial and steepish steps into the saloon which proved difficult for our staffie.  Airdraft with screens down was about 8’3”, so not too bad and allows passage under Ludham Bridge.  I’d buy one myself if access was easier.

It won't be kept on the Broads so stern access is not really an issue as we very rarely moor stern on. Although this particular boat does appear to have had a platform added to the stern and a ladder to the upper helm which looks to help somewhat with stern access if needed.

Hadn't noticed how steep the steps were until you have just said that. They do look a little steep.

Air draft is one thing we would need to check carefully as ideally we would want to be 8ft max with everything folded down to access parts of the inland system above Nottingham. Realistically it wouldn't be a deal breaker if it wasn't under 8ft as we don't venture up that way very often but it would be a nice to have if possible.

50 minutes ago, Arti said:

The model is just Broom 32, Sea Pilot was the name Broom gave to the ones fitted out for their hire fleet. We have hired them a number of times and they are lovely, comfortable and practical boats. I have an idea that one or two forum members own one.

Actually, it's an Aquafibre Sapphire 32 and is specifically NOT a Broom 32. That is a Broom build, but it's still a Sapphire 32.

The Broom 32 is the production Broom model which had the seagoing hull, and had a different fitout.

Great boats, though, yeah. We seem to have lost the art of packaging that we had in the 80's. Look how much accommodation we used to be able to fit into 32 feet....

• Like 1

Sunbird is an Aquafibre 32, and I can squeeze under Ludham at 7'9". But I mean SQUEEZE! Not sure how accurate the gauge is there, though. Incidentally when I bought her out of hire (ex-Aston Sunbird), there was the usual plaque at the helm stating 8'9" required headroom. I suppose to allow for arched bridges?

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Regulo said:

Sunbird is an Aquafibre 32, and I can squeeze under Ludham at 7'9". But I mean SQUEEZE! Not sure how accurate the gauge is there, though. Incidentally when I bought her out of hire (ex-Aston Sunbird), there was the usual plaque at the helm stating 8'9" required headroom. I suppose to allow for arched bridges?

Thanks for that information. I guess we would just have to give it a go one day and see if it fit or not!

The boat does seem to pack a lot of accommodation in for a short hull which is partly why we are attracted too it. We don't need a huge boat for the two of us and the dog.

I've only ever had two of us overnight, so I think you'd find it spacious for just two and a dog. You're right in thinking there's a lot packed into a 32 footer, but, as said the steps are steep. That's about the only drawback. I like the fact there's no canopy to faff about with. If it rains, switch the helms, go inside and shut the door.

I have looked aboard a couple of Sapphires and I have to agree they pack a huge boat into just 32 foot, if bridges weren't such a priority then they would be very much on my 'list'.

With regard to the canopy it probably looks odd because the windscreen is the low hire boat type one, the private full Broom spec ones have a higher screen which looks more in proportion with a canopy.

If you haven't already seen it this Broom 32 is currently at NYA(sale agreed), for comparison.

https://www.nya.co.uk/boats-for-sale/broom-32-2/

I've always liked the design. Like Malcom I've hired Gainsborough Girl and also Distant Horizon and before that the same design on the Shannon-Erne waterway. It really is a great use of space and the views from the helm and outdoor deck are brilliant. Wash rooms and galley are compact but probably no more so than other designs of equivalent size.