Speeding Groups Of Men On River

Vaughan

This is headline of the latest hoo-ha in the EDP this evening, where Broadsbeat are reported as saying that they have had a lot of complaints about speeding in Thorpe which detract them (sic) from their normal duties. 

They don't say who these young men are but I suppose the implication is that they are on day boats.

CCTV footage has apparently been supplied by the Rushcutters pub.  A pity (for them) that they seem keen to select their potential customers, in these hard times.

Or is this perhaps more ammunition for the Norwich City Council (who claim, spuriously, to own the river Yare) to ban everything from the navigation that doesn't have to be rowed, or paddled?

I just offer my own photographic evidence, from 1955, that speeding in Thorpe is nothing new!

1792625880_Hearts1955-1.thumb.jpeg.a6576eeafe7e59a92a18683f2f916c09.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, marshman said:

Surely the very nature of the name Broads Beat, suggests that their job is exactly that!!!! Patrolling the Broads - or had I missed something?????

In the case of Thorpe surely navigation is the responsibility of the BA rather than Broads Beat?

2 hours ago, Vaughan said:

This is headline of the latest hoo-ha in the EDP this evening, where Broadsbeat are reported as saying that they have had a lot of complaints about speeding in Thorpe which detract them (sic) from their normal duties. 

They don't say who these young men are but I suppose the implication is that they are on day boats.

CCTV footage has apparently been supplied by the Rushcutters pub.  A pity (for them) that they seem keen to select their potential customers, in these hard times.

Or is this perhaps more ammunition for the Norwich City Council (who claim, spuriously, to own the river Yare) to ban everything from the navigation that doesn't have to be rowed, or paddled?

I just offer my own photographic evidence, from 1955, that speeding in Thorpe is nothing new!

Thought we got away with that!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Probably the big hire boat from a northern rivers hirer that came past surlingham ferry saturday afternoon making loads of noise heading towards norwich that was apparently all over faceache saturday night being knobheads in norwich, at least they were spending money on the broads, even better they kept going towards norwich....

Oh and Hi Mouldy, nice to meet you!

17 hours ago, Vaughan said:

Just me over thinking the job again but: I wonder if the EDP contacted Broadsbeat for a story or if Broadsbeat contact the EDP to publicise the speeding issue? We'll probably never know.

I happened to check out the HW webcam yesterday just as a "Dory" type thing came through the bridge with with three people aboard. As it emerged I fully expected to see a water skier behind it such was the speed! :default_2gunsfiring_v1:

• Like 1

I believe the pub passed the cctv to Broadsbeat as evidence and because the pictures used by EDP referenced Broadsbeat I guess Broadsbeat contacted them. One picture used showed a train going over a bridge with water under but no boats so I fail to see the connection with speeding boats there. 

52 minutes ago, OldBerkshireBoy said:

One picture used showed a train going over a bridge with water under but no boats so I fail to see the connection with speeding boats there. 

Maybe the boat was going that fast that the boat was gone by the time the picture was taken! :default_hiding::default_rofl:

• Haha 1

Doesn’t that picture look like a lid from a jigsaw or chocolate box. Aaaaaaah the good old days.

Sent from my iPhone using Norfolk Broads Network
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, wombat nee blownup said:

Doesn’t that picture look like a lid from a jigsaw or chocolate box. Aaaaaaah the good old days.

Sent from my iPhone using Norfolk Broads Network

Good idea especially seeings as most wooden cruisers come in 1000 pieces anyway :default_biggrin:

• Haha 5