Newbie Boat Help!

nelson87

Hi Everyone,

Newbie broads person here :) Would really appreciate any advice at all on boats and moorings. 

We're currently looking at two boats to buy. Would love to hear people's thoughts on either of them - which one would you choose and why? One has shore power - how important is this in your opinion? Also, not sure why but the Macbar has been for sale for over a month and a half, it looks like a nice boat so not sure why! Other boats are going like hotcakes! 

1 )Seamaster 813 - https://www.boatshed.com/seamaster_813-boat-273132.html

2) Macbar Marine 26 - https://www.boatshed.com/macbar_marine__26-boat-256610.html

Also some advice on what sort of running costs / yearly costs we need to watch our for and how much they are? I'm struggling to find info on this. So far I know we have the following to cover but don't know the costs:

• Anti - fouling once a year
  • Winter storage
  • Broads Licence
  • Boat Safety Certificate

Really appreciate everyone's help! 

Both boats on the face of it seem reasonable value , and both have their downsides .

The Macbar with its exposed rudder will make stern on mooring awkward unless two very large fenders are employed , the Seamaster also has its landing platform which will need protecting , plus it only has a portapotti .

Antifoul should last a couple or three years and if winter storage is on hard standing then could be done by yourselves for the cost of the antifoul paint , bss is dependant on what works if any are needed so cannot give a genuine guess in that one (Brian May of Maycraft is an excellent assessor ) Broads licence is worked out by the size of your boat , our Ocean 30 this year was £391.44 and both of the boats you are considering are smaller so will cost a bit less .

Winter storage , give someone like Sutton boatyard a ring for a ball park figure , remember you will need craning in and out so include that .

Choice of which one is and can only really be personal choice , my choice for what it counts would be the seamaster as there are many on the Broads and the owners seem to love them .

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, CambridgeCabby said:

Both boats on the face of it seem reasonable value , and both have their downsides .

The Macbar with its exposed rudder will make stern on mooring awkward unless two very large fenders are employed , the Seamaster also has its landing platform which will need protecting , plus it only has a portapotti .

Antifoul should last a couple or three years and if winter storage is on hard standing then could be done by yourselves for the cost of the antifoul paint , bss is dependant on what works if any are needed so cannot give a genuine guess in that one (Brian May of Maycraft is an excellent assessor ) Broads licence is worked out by the size of your boat , our Ocean 30 this year was £391.44 and both of the boats you are considering are smaller so will cost a bit less .

Winter storage , give someone like Sutton boatyard a ring for a ball park figure , remember you will need craning in and out so include that .

Choice of which one is and can only really be personal choice , my choice for what it counts would be the seamaster as there are many on the Broads and the owners seem to love them .

Thanks for your reply :) About the Seamaster - Agreed, not so keen on having a portapotti! Is installing a sea toilet expensive? do you by any chance know the cost of installing shore power?

A toilet plus holding tank I would think about£1000 shore power would depend on what setup you needed a battery charger could be around £300 but if you only need one socket clearly much less. The boat could stay in the water all year round and just come out every two years for a check over and antifoul. My boat is 26 feet and annual costs are around £2000 including toll and insurance. 

• Like 1

If staying on the broads and not going to sea then a holding tank a must. 
Stern mooring is a thing so is hard landings, worth thinking about the bits that stick out. 
Shore power helps in lots of ways and I would have it installed. And I have done for both my sea vessel and my new inland boat.  Expect around 500 to get it fitted. 
This is why I picked an ex hire. The basics are there already. 

• Like 1

The Macbar started off with nya about 2 years ago, the price then was about £ 17,000. I understand it had come up from the south coast (Poole area I think) following a fair bit of refurbishment and engine overhaul. I looked at it as most of the hulls went for fishing boats, which would suggest good seakeeping which appealed to me. At the time I thought it well over priced . I still do.

• Like 2

Mooring: After reading various forum posts etc I thought moorings would be either too expensive, hard to come by, or both. Apart from the length it depends what facilities you want. I went for decent toilets and showers and a floating mooring so I don't worry too much about tides or flooding. Best to call a few places and ask, weekdays best.

Insurance: Someone may well have better info here but if the boat has a recent hull survey it's possible to get fully comp insurance. You need third party anyway and £2m public liabilities cover. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, floydraser said:

I went for decent toilets and showers and a floating mooring so I don't worry too much about tides or flooding. Best to call a few places and ask, weekdays best

Good advice that also works the other way round, I started with a floating pontoon mooring and excellent facilities. No complaints at all about the yard but I live 15/20 minutes drive from the boat and was paying for things I didn't need!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Yareman said:

The Macbar started off with nya about 2 years ago, the price then was about £ 17,000. I understand it had come up from the south coast (Poole area I think) following a fair bit of refurbishment and engine overhaul. I looked at it as most of the hulls went for fishing boats, which would suggest good seakeeping which appealed to me. At the time I thought it well over priced . I still do.

What would you say is a fair price for it?