Face Coverings.

I know this has been mentioned  on other  post,but I thought  it may be a good idea to have one post here.

As most people  know I suffer from COPD,and recently my breathing  has got worse.From.Friday everyone will be required  to wear a face covering in shop.This has been required on transport  now for some weeks.There are some exemptions, such us under fives,those that are deaf and relay on lip reading,those with breathing problems and those that have some disabilities. 

The problem is there's no way to prove that you are exampt. I think the Government should help those thst are exampt.For example a simple letter to show and or a badge to prove why your not wearing a mask.I find it very difficult wearing  one.I had a phoned our practice Nurse yesterday, mainly  about my breathing, and I asked about a letter her answer That can't issue a letter.This whole thing about face coverings is at best confused and far from clear.

Ian, interestingly you inadvertently (I assume) highlight a point of confusion, one of many!

Deaf people should not be exempt from wearing masks, it's not their own lips they are trying to read, but to exempt anybody from wearing one in the vicinity of a deaf person would be impossible. Once again it needs to be emphasized that masks offer the wearer NO PROTECTION, one should wear one to protect those around you from you.

• Like 4

I am considering  wearing  a face shield, Alan kindly made one for Marina  and myself. My main point which has not been addressed, is that there's no support to those that are are exempted by the Government. Its very clear in there instructions. What I think they should  have done is to supply a NHS brief card and a badge.

I would stress in no way am  I having  a good at the Government. Its a good idea.Please just give us some support.  

Regarding deaf people relaying on lip reading. Some are suggesting masks with a clear panel, so lip reading would  be easier.

Thanks,just done the download, and sure enough it came up I am exampt from wearing  face coverings .Interestingly it didn't  ask me why I should  be exampted.Surely many will download  this if they want to without a reason other then they don't  want to wear one. My point is this is a Government  decision, why not just issue those exampted a notice and badge.

• Like 1

The whole purpose of wearing face coverings is to protect the people around you. The government wants as many people as possible to wear them. I have asthma, but can and will wear a face mask. There may be days when it is worse and on those days I might not wear a mask, or indeed I might decide to stay in instead. The point is my own judgement on the day will dictate, not going and getting a blanket exemption because I have a qualifying condition.

You say that Alan has given you a face shield, so would you need an exemption if you are able to take as best a precaution as suits you.

The real issue as I see it, is that anyone not wearing a mask for whatever reason could still be a carrier of the virus and a risk to others. Whilst I fully understand that there will be people who simply cannot wear a mask I'm sure the percentage will be a lot lower than those who do not wear masks. Some just out of principle will refuse to wear masks because they don't like being told what to do. Surely it is best that everyone does the best they can and wears a mask if they can, even if they only do so on days when their condition is better than other days. If they are unable to do so, then perhaps a face shield, or perhaps even reconsider if they are really well enough to go out in the first place.

From my point of view I will try to wear a mask whenever possible. This next bit might be a little contentious but if I am in a supermarket, or on public transport and see someone not wearing a mask I am going to be giving them a wide berth. That person may have a valid reason for not wearing a mask, but it doesn't mean they are not also a potential carrier or asymptomatic. As an asthmatic the last thing I want is to catch the virus or take unneeded risks. I will wear a mask for the protection of others, and I will give anyone not wearing a mask a wide berth for my own protection. The one thing I would never do is challenge why anyone is not wearing a face covering. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

What type of mask will we wear ? I have seen it said that '3 layers' are needed for full effectivity, but technically a scarf or similar meets the requirements.

I have several different types from simple single cotton, through dust masks, to full biological ( which would offer me protection ) - I think I'll take a judgment call on what / when. Nipping in the paper shop at 06:30 maybe  the simple one - if I were on the tube in rush hour ….

The  point  is still missed.The Government  decision to exampt  some people such as those with breathing  problems. Easy for them to provide  a cover letter and badge.At present its a muddle. In the main I will wear a face shield, some are unable to wear sheilds .After 3 months  sheilding  I more then many need protecting,its not a case of not wanting to wear a mask.Even sitting down doing nothing,its not easy breathing. It id wrong to make a rule where people  are required  to wear a face covering,and exampt some yet provide them without any proof

I am wondering if you might be pushing at the wrong people. If the Gov were to issue covering letters the system would be open to massive abuse. Surely it should be the local GPs job to do this. They have records as to peoples health conditions. Harder to claim a sudden medical condition to them.

• Like 3

No the Government/ NHS sent me three texts,plus three letters identifying me as at risk due to my breathing  problems. And have since sent me further texts and letters. Therefore they know why I am exampted.I take your point about GPs,but as I found  out yesterday they are not required to issue  letters. It just seems confused. Also I have pointed out you can go on the tfl website and print out a noted stating that you are exempted. Which is just stupid. 

To be honest cards, or exemptions are largely irrelevant if everyone were to consider the following. If 30 people sit on a train and 1 of them isn't wearing a mask or taking any precautions then there is 1 person being protected and 29 people potentially at risk. The moment another person steps on the train and they are not wearing a mask, then there are 31 people potentially at risk! and potentially no one is protected. Everyone needs to do whatever they can collectively to protect each other. Exemption cards will not protect the holder from the virus, or stop them spreading it.

I think part of Ian's point here is that there is a high possibility that every jobsworth and Nosey Parker will give those without masks a hard time, whether or not they are even entitled to ask. An easily identifiable item which distinguishes those who are exempt will save unnecessary intrusion and make the poor shop staff's burden a little easier.

I suspect the government's confusion has an element of hoping this simply stop those who are exempt from going into shops without seemingly being discriminatory (at first glance)

• Thanks 1

The first day of transport requiring face coverings. I worman took delight whilst being interviewed  on tv to say there was someone on the train not wearing a mask.She challenged him.then reported  him.Rays point has hit the nail on the head.Some will point the finger and report people. There has been a system in place in London for some time.Baby on board and extra  leg room for those less able.Of course not everyone  will take notice,but it would  help.

I know this has been mentioned  on other  post,but I thought  it may be a good idea to have one post here.
As most people  know I suffer from COPD,and recently my breathing  has got worse.From.Friday everyone will be required  to wear a face covering in shop.This has been required on transport  now for some weeks.There are some exemptions, such us under fives,those that are deaf and relay on lip reading,those with breathing problems and those that have some disabilities. 
The problem is there's no way to prove that you are exampt. I think the Government should help those thst are exampt.For example a simple letter to show and or a badge to prove why your not wearing a mask.I find it very difficult wearing  one.I had a phoned our practice Nurse yesterday, mainly  about my breathing, and I asked about a letter her answer That can't issue a letter.This whole thing about face coverings is at best confused and far from clear.

I also have copd if I put mask on glasses steam up

Sent from the Norfolk Broads Network mobile app
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Ray said:

I think part of Ian's point here is that there is a high possibility that every jobsworth and Nosey Parker will give those without masks a hard time, whether or not they are even entitled to ask. An easily identifiable item which distinguishes those who are exempt will save unnecessary intrusion and make the poor shop staff's burden a little easier.

I suspect the government's confusion has an element of hoping this simply stop those who are exempt from going into shops without seemingly being discriminatory (at first glance)

You are so correct in what you say Ray.

According to the Government I am exempt because of Severe asthma if I try to wear a mask.

Not for want of trying to wear one either as I have tried several times and it is simply imposible as I become breathless so quickly.

No problem at all with the buses as they simply gave me a card to show the driver should  I need to travel,

However, it is a different story when it comes to the shops.

I have spoken to the owners of the small shops I normally use and all have been fully understanding.

It is not law untill Friday but this morning I went in to our local shop and post office and was near assaulted at the door by a group of what I would call mask vigilantees who were hanging around outside the shop giving a hard time to anyone not wearing a mask.

These were not shop staff.

I guess it was just a few people getting kicks out of harrassing others but if this is going to be the case once this becomes law then I guess the Government have got their wish and some of us will never be able to go into shops again.

As a full time carer I have to accept that I no longer have anything like a normal life as I can only leave the house for short periods.  However a trip to the shop for half an hour was always some much needed respite.

Can still get supplies but as far as I can see its house arrest for the foreseeable future.

• Like 1

It is as Arthur and Ray have pointed out .Those that wish to point  the finger do so because they get some sort of joy out of doing so.Since March 23 I have stayed at home.Okay last week we spent a few days on the boat,very nice it was to.I did at times wear a mask,but far from easy.I firmly believe we should be treated fairly. I don't understand  why there isn't a exemption note/badge.And yes no one needs to tell me the pros and cons of exemption letters. I feel we should  be treated fairly and not have people  pointing the finger for no reason.

• Like 1

Nothing about this virus is fair, including the devastating effects if you catch it. Having an exemption badge or letter or whatever does not prove that you are not carrying the virus and therefore not a health risk to others. That is why others will be wary of anyone not wearing a mask. In my own case as someone who is more vulnerable I'm likely to be even more wary of someone not wearing a mask. To be blunt about it, I'm concerned for my own safety and well being.

As I mentioned earlier I wouldn't be challenging anyone for not wearing a mask, but I might be backing of at a rate of knots, changing carriages, or moving seats. As someone with asthma I can fully appreciate breathing difficulties, but face shields seem like a better alternative than an exemption badge if masks cannot be worn.

• Like 1

Dont need to tell me. I'm at high risk,recovering from pneumonia with COPD in fact since  getting pneumonia my breathing  has got worse.THE Government have brought  in this ruling and have made exemptions,surely its not unreasonable for them to provide cover letters regardless of weither you or anyone else accept  the merits of cover letters.

The simple  fact according  to the Government I am exempted.Why should  I perhaps a number  of times a day to explain  why.A exemption note from them would solve the problem. 

So as someone who is high risk and I fully understand why, would you be happiest standing in the supermarket next to someone who is wearing a face mask, or someone who is wearing a face shield, or someone who is wearing an exemption badge? 

We all need to take the fullest precautions we are able to do, to protect each other.

• Like 1

You don't get it do you.Why make a ruling and not back it up an exemption is just that a exemption. For my part I reduce  my risks as far as possible. I try not to get close to anyone  regardless of what there wearing. 

And just to let you know as someone at high risk ,I'm not supposed to be in any shop until at least  1 August 2020.

I went to Morston Quay this morning. Everywhere was very busy, Blakeney, Sheringham etc. But I could not believe what I saw, on my way home, coming down the hill on Runton Road as I approached Cromer Town at lunchtime . New Street, the narrow lane between Morrison's petrol station and No 1 was completely rammed like sardines in a can as people queued for fish and chips, burgers, ice cream etc, hardly a mask in sight and absolutely zero social distancing. It could have been Oxford Street or Regent Street the week before Christmas.

It really makes you wonder!

• Sad 2

It amazes me that it has taken so long for the government to decide that everyone should be wearing a mask or alternative face covering.

Very easy to sit in an ivory tower and decide that this is what everyone should do. It would be easier for me to accept if the government official who decided this would be the latest requirement  also said that everyone would be supplied with masks so that we could carry out the latest (very late) idea.

As a pensioner whose wife is disabled and under "house arrest" we have not had any sort of help either practical or financial at all but we are expected to conform to all requirements including finding out where these masks/ shields are available and then having to obtain them.

Jeff

• Sad 1

Last week I went to two supermarkets.Morrisons on Tuesday. I was nervous being thsts the first shop I'd been to since March.Most people  were six foot apart and stuck to the guildlines. Wednesday the coop Brundall. Socal  distancing was not present. Not many in the shop only 6 or 7.Dont know if they knew one another,but close together touching. No masks .

1 hour ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

You don't get it do you.Why make a ruling and not back it up an exemption is just that a exemption. For my part I reduce  my risks as far as possible. I try not to get close to anyone  regardless of what there wearing. 

And just to let you know as someone at high risk ,I'm not supposed to be in any shop until at least  1 August 2020.

7 minutes ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

Last week I went to two supermarkets.Morrisons on Tuesday. I was nervous being thsts the first shop I'd been to since March.Most people  were six foot apart and stuck to the guildlines. Wednesday the coop Brundall. Socal  distancing was not present. Not many in the shop only 6 or 7.Dont know if they knew one another,but close together touching. No masks .

And you say that I don't get it!! :default_icon_rolleyes: