Face Coverings.

15 minutes ago, jeffbroadslover said:

It amazes me that it has taken so long for the government to decide that everyone should be wearing a mask or alternative face covering.

Very easy to sit in an ivory tower and decide that this is what everyone should do. It would be easier for me to accept if the government official who decided this would be the latest requirement  also said that everyone would be supplied with masks so that we could carry out the latest (very late) idea.

As a pensioner whose wife is disabled and under "house arrest" we have not had any sort of help either practical or financial at all but we are expected to conform to all requirements including finding out where these masks/ shields are available and then having to obtain them.

Jeff

Jeff, Some useful advice on how to make your own face covering on the link below. Needn't cost the earth. Disposable ones are also coming down in price now on the likes of ebay and Amazon.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/how-to-wear-and-make-a-cloth-face-covering/how-to-wear-and-make-a-cloth-face-covering

• Like 1

I do get it. If you had a mask on then you don't need an exemption on that particular day. You have done your best to protect those around you and I think that is good. More people need to follow your example. There may be days when you do not feel so able to wear a mask and if it was me I would possibly consider if I really needed to go shopping on those days. Alternatively perhaps swap the mask for a face shield on that day.

As someone with a breathing condition I do get it more than most. I'm prepared to take precautions for others as much as possible, I'd just like them to do the same for me, rather than relying on blanket exemptions. I, like you, am more at risk than most if I get the virus and that really is my last word on the subject. 

Oksy I've worn a mask twice  at hospital and about four times since.Each time its made my breathing  worse even just  sitting.When I walk more so.Therefore I will be unable  to wear one for any length  of time

As for the virus ,its worth pointing  out I got pneumonia over a month  ago,when I'd not been anywhere. I was even told I may have had Covad .Regardless my breathing  has got worse,even walking  up to bed.It takes me a few minutes to regain my breath. 

I do think as someone at risk,I and many have been overlooked.In the beginning  5 texts 3 letters then a phone call from the council asking  if I needed  any help with shopping or meds let them know.I said no because Marina can do that for me.Fair enough  but in 16 weeks no one phoned back to ask if I was okay.My friend who is suffering  from cancer, was offered  a food parcel, which  never appeared. The Government deciding that there are exemptions to me just adds to my belief we are overlooked.Perhaps if we were able  to march on mass they may listen. 

• Like 1

as another unable to wear a mask, i have printed my own badge i can show. it says.

for your safety and mine

please keep your distance

i have a health condition

that prevents me from

being able to wear a mask

thank you for your understanding.

i did this in the hope that i would not have to stop and explain my full medical disclosure with a non medical person, at every shop i went to.

I did try wearing a single thickness cloth tube scarf, i made it 4 aisles before my breath soaked the mask, blocking the air holes, and steaming my glasses up so badly i had to stop mid aisle to remove the mask.

i have been told that even net curtain is acceptable, as it catches a reasonable percentage of the particulates- this advice came from the asthma society.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, grendel said:

as another unable to wear a mask, i have printed my own badge i can show. it says.

for your safety and mine

please keep your distance

i have a health condition

that prevents me from

being able to wear a mask

thank you for your understanding.

and everyone came right up to you to read the badge. :-)

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

Wednesday the coop Brundall. Socal  distancing was not present.

Seems the Coop just let it all happen. I was in the Coop in Loddon yesterday, notice on the door said only 22 allowed in at once but people were wandering in at will. Certainly more than 22 in the store. I saw no hand sanitiser or cleansing sprays for the little trolleys they have. Very few people with face coverings. I have noticed in the supermarkets that the young members of staff filling shelves etc seem to have no idea of social distancing. They just carry on as normal chatting amongst themselves quite close to each other and just rely on the customers to keep the necessary distance. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ChrisB said:

I went to Morston Quay this morning. Everywhere was very busy, Blakeney, Sheringham etc. But I could not believe what I saw, on my way home, coming down the hill on Runton Road as I approached Cromer Town at lunchtime . New Street, the narrow lane between Morrison's petrol station and No 1 was completely rammed like sardines in a can as people queued for fish and chips, burgers, ice cream etc, hardly a mask in sight and absolutely zero social distancing. It could have been Oxford Street or Regent Street the week before Christmas.

It really makes you wonder!

I'd echo your comments on Cromer based on a brief trip there last Friday, hardly anyone wearing masks as you say, pavements heaving, people mustering around pedestrian crossings... my wife got out of the car with mask, glasses & gloves on did what she needed to asap and then we headed out pronto. Certainly shan't be returning to Coronner until the silly season is over and maybe not even until 2021. Had the air ambulance land across the way yesterday, looked to be  another victim needing extra attendance and equipment for the road ambulance to carry on its way. Lots of PPE! 

• Sad 1

Ian - do you want every action you take in life to be approved by Government? I certainly don't so the least edicts they issue the happier I shall be!

It was easy for them to issue instructions for lockdown - but much more difficult to issue precise instructions for everyone asking for them now on how to open things up. I think you should bear in mind their instructions as generally issued,  carry out your own risk assessment and proceed as you feel necessary and appropriately.

Incidentally I was in Cromer today and whilst it was busy, I thought how well people were coping! Bit like speeding on the Broads - all a matter of opinion and perception!!!

• Like 1

When it comes to face coverings...I've got the best! It arrived in the post today and works a treat.

Internal mask which takes five ply filters.
Nose band to stop the old goggs from steaming up.
Bandanna ties at the back to ensure it stays on
Stops sawdust from shooting down my shirt.
Personalized embroidered slogan!

20200721_140434.jpg

20200721_140415.jpg

20200721_140558.jpg

20200721_140548.jpg

Polly you are a GENIUS!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, marshman said:

Ian - do you want every action you take in life to be approved by Government? I certainly don't so the least edicts they issue the happier I shall be!

It was easy for them to issue instructions for lockdown - but much more difficult to issue precise instructions for everyone asking for them now on how to open things up. I think you should bear in mind their instructions as generally issued,  carry out your own risk assessment and proceed as you feel necessary and appropriately.

Incidentally I was in Cromer today and whilst it was busy, I thought how well people were coping! Bit like speeding on the Broads - all a matter of opinion and perception!!!

Perhaps if some people  can understand  whats its like to have a serious  breathing problem they may also understand what I am saying. Wearing a mask for me any length of time is near on impossible. That is obviously why the Government  made exemptions. AND  just for your information not that I need to explain  myself to you or anyone  else for that matter.I listen  to the Government, Doctors  and make up my own mind.I do feel its wrong not to support  those of us that according  to the Government  are exempted. Another point  prior  to this virus taking hold,I worked long days and managed risks to my health even though  I had COPD. Yes I have taken greater care in the past 3 months,taking very few risks.SOME on this forum thought I was being too  careful, yet I still got pneumonia and perhaps Covad.All I'm saying is treat those of us exempted with fairness.Without proof of our exemption. We will be challenged by members of the public and others.Why should we have to explain  perhaps many times a day why we're not wearing a mask a simple badge with a supporting letter will do.

• Thanks 1

One thing I have been doing with the fabric masks to make them fit better is sticking a bit of aluminium tape ( got loads working in aviation ) inside, on the bit that goes over the bridge of my nose so I can mould the fit to suit

Guess you could use a bag tie etc with double sided tape too  if you don't have speed tape … ?

• Like 1

On 21/07/2020 at 16:56, vanessan said:

Seems the Coop just let it all happen. I was in the Coop in Loddon yesterday, notice on the door said only 22 allowed in at once but people were wandering in at will. Certainly more than 22 in the store. I saw no hand sanitiser or cleansing sprays for the little trolleys they have. Very few people with face coverings. I have noticed in the supermarkets that the young members of staff filling shelves etc seem to have no idea of social distancing. They just carry on as normal chatting amongst themselves quite close to each other and just rely on the customers to keep the necessary distance. 

The trouble is they think the virus has gone away.      I have ordered more masks today together with a couple of shields , you just never know if someone is the household gets it ,   we dont all live in mansions and can be apart from one another.   I am like you am staying away from everyone unless absolutely necessary.

• Like 2

On 21/07/2020 at 16:56, vanessan said:

Seems the Coop just let it all happen.

The Coop in Beccles have it sorted! Red and green lights above the doors - enter on green, stay outside on red. In fact Beccles itself was well organised with distance markings all over the place, I even saw a pair of footprints in the road! The ‘centre’ is closed off to traffic so people can move around quite freely. Lots of people with face coverings today, even just walking down the street. Beales old store looks very sad, all empty and uncared for. I guess it may be a long time before the buildings are occupied again. Flat/apartment conversions anyone? ☹️

My wife and I went to our local hospital today where we were both offered face coverings which we wore for the duration of our visit, some forty five minutes. We were so glad to take them off as we left, the darned things made us both horribly hot. We will wear them but with reservations.