Grendels Deferred May Broads Holiday

grendel

well I have this to say, before you swear at boats that come haring past when you are 2mph over the speed limit, check the units you have the speed set for, yes I was reading it in km/h, so when I was doing 6 mph (i thought) up the river ant, I was actually almost spot on the speed limit.

the downside of solo cruising is that there is nobody to brew you a coffee on the move, and that regular mooring up and comfort breaks are required. i have just moored up at paddys lane for a quick comfort break, a cup of coffee and a sandwich, a second sandwich has been made for my mate Ron.

When coming to the mooring I stuck my nose in and tied up to a post at the front, but had misjudjed the wind direction, and had to wait until I had performed a 180 and tied up the other side of the stern, well I was secure anyway.

• Like 7

Guest Jayfire
45 minutes ago, grendel said:

the downside of solo cruising is that there is nobody to brew you a coffee on the move, and that regular mooring up and comfort breaks are required. i have just moored up at paddys lane for a quick comfort break, a cup of coffee and a sandwich, a second sandwich has been made for my mate Ron.

Oh I know those solo helm problems well, although I need a journey to the fridge rather than a brew making.

Funny how as the beer goes down the comfort breaks are required more often too. I wonder if there is some sort of explanation for it somewhere :default_smiley-angelic002:

I also love those honest mirrors on your boat :default_norty:

well I have arrived at my destination for the day, I had a lovely cruise up from Paddys lane, slowing down for the myriads of canoes and paddle boarders, arriving at dilham to find the staithe empty apart from 3 canoes, plus 1 canoe and a day boat that followed me up.

• Like 7

56 minutes ago, VetChugger said:

Used to be a cracking pub but its a good while since I have been.

Cross Keys? Went in last year. The bowling green has gone and now just used as an outdoor drinking area. It's been done up in quite a modern style but still retains the pub feel. Nice drop of Ghost Ship. 

24 minutes ago, grendel said:

on a side note, yesterday I did find the wild mooring at Womack island that Robin had posted about in his latest video, It is now sporting a sign that states Private

I think if you find a decent wild mooring, it’s best to pass the info on by word of mouth to friends and not post it on social media! As soon as it becomes general knowledge, ‘private’ signs go up. Another of my favourite wild mooring spots on the Waveney is now sporting a sign. 🤬

I think the problem here is how do we know if the private signs are genuine signs from the landowner, or just something that some regular who wants his usual spot has erected without the land owners permission, unfortunately at present there is no way of distinguishing one from another.

That surprises me too. "In my day" the island was overgrown with carr and thick undergrowth until the Commissioners came along and cut it all down to the ground. There was angry reaction from the village but I was one of those who said no - leave it to grow for a couple of years and it will be a lovely mooring. Sure enough, it has been ever since.

I have never heard of this being private. Rather, it is part of the original Womack Water, which had been allowed to grow over.

this morning was a 7.30 start, 2.9mph down from dilham, under wayford bridge, then carried on at 2.9mph all the way up into stalham, to my surprise there was a Jayne sized space at stalham staithe, so I bagged that and headed for Tescos. there I was greeted by staff, and put my face covering on, anything that covers your face is acceptable, as it shows you are showing willing, my scarf is as much hole as scarf, but it was allowed through. a few purchases made there (mainly a new batch of yeast, the tin i brought up with me had been opened, despite being still in date wasnt doing the job (i think I opened it last year at beccles)

shopping done I removed my mask and walked back to the staithe, the mooring I had got was right on the corner, so she fitted where she touched, I am now about to head back down the Ant before too many boats start out from Stalham.

• Like 5

23 hours ago, grendel said:

the downside of solo cruising is that there is nobody to brew you a coffee on the move

I manage it Peter. Before I set off I fill the kettle and put coffee in the cup then I only have to leave the helm for a few seconds to light the gas and once again to pour the water. Obviously I try and do so safely where there's good visibility.

it really depends, the kettle is at the opposite end of the boat to the helm in Jayne.

I was planning to stop for water, but when I got to Ludham bridge there were no free moorings and a big craft was just starting to fill their tanks, so I carried on throught the bridge and to the end of the Ant, a right turn and I was heading towards Horning, horning staithe would have had plenty of room, but for the 3 day boats moored at the staithe, so I carried on, Finally at 1.30 and dying for some lunch and a coffee, I pulled in to Salhouse, made a stern on mooring and somehow got 1 hours mooring instead of overnight, never mind, I got the water and my coffee (and comfort Break), so I will be heading on shortly to see if I can find a space at wroxham (the other side of the bridge for certain)

• Like 3

finally moored up for the day, I have been travelling since 7.30am (with a couple of breaks) until about 3pm, I am through wroxham bridge, I decided on a quiet mooring tonight without people, so I have mudweighted on bridge broad, there were a couple of other boats here so I went right to the end around the corner, and dropped the mudweight in the middle of a little bay there, blissfully quiet (until a train goes past). i have managed to fill yet another 32gb card with video, and i will be heading for coltishall tomorrow. i did manage to also (after 2 days filming manage to empty my first battery bank, this was not only running the camera, but also keeping my tablet with the map and speed app charged too.

• Like 4