Grendels Deferred May Broads Holiday

grendel

i have come to the realisation why fried tomato is an important ingredient in a full english fried breakfast.

and that is because after you have made such a mess in the botton of the frying pan supplied with boats, its the only wayt you are ever going to get that burn on dark brown mess off the bottom of the frying pan, throw those tinned tomatoes into the frying pan, give the bottom a quick sweep with the spatula, and lo and behold, the bottom is now covered with tomato juice, once you stick this under the tap the pan is clean with no hard scrubbing.

last night i fell asleep early, what with the wind blowing a hooligan outside, the rain ant the rhythmic slapping of the waves against the chine rail, it soon lulled me off to sleep, i awoke at just after 1am, and looked out to see the heavens, the cloud had cleared away, and although the comet was behind the trees, the heavens were spread across the sky in all their glory., i opened up the roof and stuck my head out and just gazed..

10 minutes later the roof was shut and i was back snuggled in bed, until the growing daylight outside woke me at 5.30am

• Like 8

if i had to put a title to this post it would be boat jam at how hill. 

this morning I was undecided whether to head for womak water or somewhere else, I started out late for me, but by just after 9 I was approaching the bure again, there was an end mooring spot free at st Benets, so I grabbed that and went for a little walk around the ruins.

after getting back to the boat I decided to head on, just as i was untieing I was hailed by a passing boat, was i moving, yes i replied, so they dropped back and allowed me to depart, nabbing my spot.

where to go, how about finding a wild mooring on the ant, good idea i thought and turned righ and headed up the ant, quite crowded at ludham bridge, boats queuing to get through both ways. though nothing to the sight that greeted me at how hill. I was following a cruiser up the river, when they slowed, ahead I could see a problem, someone had their stern in the reeds and the bow wedged between two moored craft, the cruiser in front started reversing, so I was forced to follow suit, which resulted in a slight bump between my stern quarter and the quay heading, oops.I quickly reached out and snagged a bollard with a front line to wait out the mess, though I never managed to get a stern line out as they managed to clear the jam and we all proceeded on our way, quite shortly after that I found my wild mooring and have moored up to watc h the fun that is the river ant.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, grendel said:

the frying pan supplied with boats

Two things that are always dodgy, no matter who you hire from - frying pans and can openers. We always take a non stick frying pan and can opener. 

To be fair if yards provided non stick pans they would be forever replacing them. 

9 minutes ago, NorfolkNog said:

Two things that are always dodgy, no matter who you hire from - frying pans and can openers. We always take a non stick frying pan and can opener. 

To be fair if yards provided non stick pans they would be forever replacing them. 

to be fair, I have no issues with the frying pan supplied by Marthams, its a decent heavy bottomed really rather nice frying pan, its just it isnt non stick, which means it can be difficult to clean if you dont have brillo pads, cooking the tomato last is my new found solution.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, NorfolkNog said:

When we used to hire, I had a ‘Broads box’. It had a frying pan and tip opener plus potato peeler and decent knife from the outset. By the time we finished hiring, the box had been exchanged for a larger one a couple of times! The tin opener is largely redundant now as most cans seem to have ring-pulls. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, CambridgeCabby said:

Pop into Lathams , buy a frying pan for £5 and bin it at the end of your holiday , 

I did something similar one year only it was pillows. The ones supplied on the boat were about an inch thick!

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, CambridgeCabby said:

Pop into Lathams , buy a frying pan for £5 and bin it at the end of your holiday , 

19 minutes ago, vanessan said:

I did something similar one year only it was pillows. The ones supplied on the boat were about an inch thick!

Great idea Vanessan, but don't you find fried eggs still stick to them, even if you've poured tinned tomatoes on them?

When we were hiring narrow boat we always took a small bag with a small frying pan, spatula, wooden spoon, tin opener, a cheese grater & combined box, matches etc. Tan also kept in her handbag a small very sharp knife . We were in a kitchen shop when I asked her if she had remembered the knife, she promptly pulled it out her bag, the shop assistant looked as if all the blood had drained from her face.

2 hours ago, SwanR said:

Strange ... I’ve hired from 5 different yards over the last few years, probably 10 different boats and never had a problem with the kitchen items on board. I don’t take anything like that with me. 

Maybe things have improved more recently. We started hiring in 1982 and, during a somewhat ‘lean’ time during the late 80s and early 90s, hired a lot of older and cheaper boats which seemed to be kitted out with household ‘cast-offs’! I think that’s when our collection really started. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SwanR said:

Strange ... I’ve hired from 5 different yards over the last few years, probably 10 different boats and never had a problem with the kitchen items on board. I don’t take anything like that with me. 

We have been hiring since the early 80's and have never had an problem either, nowadays we do eat out a lot but cook some breakfasts and some evening meals on more remote moorings.

• Like 1