It's All Going To The Dogs

As most will be aware we sadly lost our last Golden Retriever Macie dog back in December - It was her time due.

Of course it was never in question about getting a fourth GR - Field / Gun stock naturally.

Our next addition has to tick a few boxes, nowadays primarily the dog MUST be good with grandchildren - G.R = Tick,  must be capable of taking to the the gun - G.R = Tick,  must be able to retrieve better than I can shoot (That's asking a lot I know!) - G.R = Tick,  must be sociable with strangers, other dogs and be keen to learn - G.R = Tick,  must be a decent swimmer - G.R = Tick,  Must be a crew member onboard 'B.A' - G.R = Tick

We had to wait until I got MrsG back from Jockland proper in January, then wait again until after we had spent another ten days or so in March back up in Jockland sorting out her late Mums house and affairs etc.

Then came that awful CV thing that we are still grappling with and the consequential lock down.  So we had to wait again.

After a full seven weeks or earning precisely nowt I gratefully  went back to work third week of May-ish.  No brass in the coffers so we had to wait again.

We have actively been searching and on the hunt over the past couple of months, my lad taking the lead this time, after a few false promises, we could now be getting close.  There is a litter due tomorrow down south.  We are potential owners of one of the litter once we have cleared the vetting procedure which I am confident we will do so.  Therefore if all goes well, we should have a new crew member come September

HAVE YOU SEEN THE CURRENT PRICES THOUGH? :default_ohmy:

Last year you could buy a family pet G.R puppy  (Non gun dog stock) for about £600 - £800.

Field stock, the acceptable or average normal price was around the £1200 mark, which is what I was expecting to pay

Since Lockdown though the prices are sky rocketing.  I have agreed potentially to pay £2k, yes that's right TWO THOUSAND.  Wow, I can't get my breath, I have been researching and this is the new current acceptable price for a field stock G.R

All the brass is

'Going To The Dogs'

Griff

• Like 7

Since we lost Lindy Lulu some weeks ago we are trying to find a little dog, suitable for boat life. As fast as suitable one comes into the rescue centres, they are reserved and we keep missing out.  There are quite a few older dogs available but having lost both our dogs in under a year , we don’t want to go for an older one and have to go through the Inevitable sadness again sooner.

I’ve sort of started to look down the puppy route but as you say Griff the prices are crazy and how do you know if the breeder is a good one.  

• Like 1

Hope all goes well Griff.Since we lost Poppy and Cici (cats).We often think about  getting cats and a dog.Its hard.My chances of getting work are slim. We at present  are at home,Marina  may return  in August. We hope to move to Norfolk in the spring. So problem is if we got pets now,may we.be unfair  to them moving within the year.

• Like 1

The price of beagles has also sky rocketed during lock down. I've been approached a couple of times by people wanting to either buy the Beagle Brothers or enquiring about puppies or putting them out to stud. Two incidents stick in my mind, the most recent was a young couple asking if they could have a puppy from the litter.
"What litter?" the one that one is going to have pointing at Dylan.
"What Dylan?"
Dylan looks at me and then gives the couple a hard stare while I explain the facts of life to the couple.
"I think you are going on a diet baggy bum!" I tell Dylan who 'rrooos' at me in complaint. (Beagles don't bark they 'sing' except for Toby who barks...cos he is weird!)

The first incident caused me to go 'all out Yorkshire' on the woman who asked 'how much do you charge' while I was walking the boys through the woods.
"Eh?"
"I said how much do you charge?" the woman repeated.
"What for?"
"As a stud?" The woman made suggestive movements with her hips.
I went full Donny.
"Me or 't dogs Mrs?"
"The DOGS you fool!"

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

13 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

Ian, I have to say that it would be wise (in my opinion) to wait until you have moved before obtaining a new pet. Tigers for example, can be very territorial. 

That's what we intend  to do its far from easy.This is the longest we've gone without  a pet.

We also lost our lovely dog, Maddy, in May during lockdown. We always have rescue dogs but with a high demand and low staff numbers most rescue centres are not open and insist that they are the matchmaker!

I respect their knowledge and dedication but we have always gone to shelters and walked around saying hello and waited til a dog let's us know it would like to adopt us.

So we wait, there is sadly an expectation that the shelters will quickly fill between now and Christmas. Many people stuck at home have adopted and won't be able to cope when returning to work (don't get me started!)

There is a chance that Maddy will turn out to be our last, losing her was very hard indeed.

A work colleague (well the boss) has recently taken a dog from Cyprus - they rehome lots apparently.  It been reserved for weeks but only recently it has been allowed to travel to England.  There are lots of websites so I can't say which one they used.

1 hour ago, w-album said:

A work colleague (well the boss) has recently taken a dog from Cyprus - they rehome lots apparently.  It been reserved for weeks but only recently it has been allowed to travel to England.  There are lots of websites so I can't say which one they used.

My OH's mum adopted a Romanian rescue dog late last year.

It is a practice I very much disagree with. We have enough animals that require loving homes in this country without shipping in more.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ray said:

We also lost our lovely dog, Maddy,

So sorry to read that Ray, losing a pal is a devastating time. Finding a new pal can never quite fill the gap left but it does help to have another little being that relies on you for everything. If you like a particular breed, it might be worth looking to see if there are rescue/rehoming websites for that particular breed. You can then register  and hope something comes along. Just a thought. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, BroadAmbition said:

As most will be aware we sadly lost our last Golden Retriever Macie dog back in December - It was her time due.

Of course it was never in question about getting a fourth GR - Field / Gun stock naturally.

Our next addition has to tick a few boxes, nowadays primarily the dog MUST be good with grandchildren - G.R = Tick,  must be capable of taking to the the gun - G.R = Tick,  must be able to retrieve better than I can shoot (That's asking a lot I know!) - G.R = Tick,  must be sociable with strangers, other dogs and be keen to learn - G.R = Tick,  must be a decent swimmer - G.R = Tick,  Must be a crew member onboard 'B.A' - G.R = Tick

We had to wait until I got MrsG back from Jockland proper in January, then wait again until after we had spent another ten days or so in March back up in Jockland sorting out her late Mums house and affairs etc.

Then came that awful CV thing that we are still grappling with and the consequential lock down.  So we had to wait again.

After a full seven weeks or earning precisely nowt I gratefully  went back to work third week of May-ish.  No brass in the coffers so we had to wait again.

We have actively been searching and on the hunt over the past couple of months, my lad taking the lead this time, after a few false promises, we could now be getting close.  There is a litter due tomorrow down south.  We are potential owners of one of the litter once we have cleared the vetting procedure which I am confident we will do so.  Therefore if all goes well, we should have a new crew member come September

HAVE YOU SEEN THE CURRENT PRICES THOUGH? :default_ohmy:

Last year you could buy a family pet G.R puppy  (Non gun dog stock) for about £600 - £800.

Field stock, the acceptable or average normal price was around the £1200 mark, which is what I was expecting to pay

Since Lockdown though the prices are sky rocketing.  I have agreed potentially to pay £2k, yes that's right TWO THOUSAND.  Wow, I can't get my breath, I have been researching and this is the new current acceptable price for a field stock G.R

All the brass is

'Going To The Dogs'

Griff

Two grand ,  blimey,  when Macey had her pups you could have retired there and then.    No doubt when everyone who still has a job can go back to it the prices will come down once again.       Even so I bet you are really excited at the thought of meeting your new puppy.  

9 minutes ago, vanessan said:

So sorry to read that Ray, losing a pal is a devastating time. Finding a new pal can never quite fill the gap left but it does help to have another little being that relies on you for everything. If you like a particular breed, it might be worth looking to see if there are rescue/rehoming websites for that particular breed. You can then register  and hope something comes along. Just a thought. 

Thank you, it seems to have been a sad time with Griff, Lulu and Ian also losing their pets.

Good idea about breed rescue!

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Ray said:

Good idea about breed rescue!

A friend of mine had always had cairn terriers. When she lost her 15 year old a couple of years back, she decided she was a bit too senior to get a puppy. She had belonged to the cairn rescue for a few years so contacted them. Within a couple of months she was offered a 9 year old male. He is gorgeous and has captured hearts left right and centre! 🐾🐾

• Like 2

Ah that's great, a happy ending for your friend and the pooch! 👍 We have had four rescue dogs now over the past 20 years and it is such a rewarding thing to do... just got to love the little devils! 🙂

• Like 2

Most of our pets have been rescues or not wanted. First boomer many because  people  kept taking  him back(boomerang).He would often try  to catch helicopters ! Tess she had lived with a old chap.She came from Battersea. Poppy from RSPCA.And Cici one of a litter,as mad as a March hare from Suffolk, I say nothing. All very loving and sadly missed. 

• Like 3

Having run a pet shop  in N. London for a very happy 15 years we have heard myriad sad stories that were all too often the result of buying a puppy from a non reliable source.  The advice I would give is never buy a puppy if the mother is not able to be seen and verified, never buy from a pet shop (we never sold puppies), Where possible check the breeder's provenance with the Kennel Club and make sure that all relevant  inoculations  are in place. After you've done all that you should be able to look forward  to  many years of love from your chosen pet.

Carole

• Like 3

Hi all I'm  sorry for Griffs loss of Macie beautiful Golden Retriever Dog also other Members pets passing away . I had a Dog called Dodi Long Haired Pedigree Dachshunds I had him for Thirteen Years as the Vet says I've looked after him very well of his age. When ever I went on the Norfolk Broads he  was good as gold on the Boats.  I had a Five years Break then Three years ago I got a Norfolk Border Terrier Pedigree Gold Colour  name Benji as Griff gave me some guidance on this dog that I took note now Three Years Old + I wish I was younger going out for walks he's also he  very affectionate with People and very good with Children  When indoors he likes  to play also a lot of fuss.  He cost me Three ago  £500 + vet fees to make sure he's  is in good health. I wish Griff good luck getting  a Puppy also other Forum Member's 

• Like 4

My last gun dog was Ben. The Dame was a field trial champion Retriever but had a liason with a trial champion Border Collie! He looked like a Golden Retriever but his feet were too small but he had the darker colour gold of his mother. I gave them £20 to cover his puppy food.

I had him put down at 17 because his dementia was killing any quality of life he had. He could still do a mornings shooting when he was 14.  That was the only Vet's bill we ever had I think it was £48 to be euthanised and cremated.

I never had another dog after him. When he used to sneek off somewhere  Judith would say " where's that Golden Collie of yours gone now"  

He only had two faults, he would not be pushed about by any other dog and he let them know it and if no one was about he loved an armchair in the sun.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I must say I find this thread very interesting, I'm glad I'm not the only one besotted with their pet, my mum and dad had goldies throughout my childhood,  she must have been on her 6th or 7th when she died at 92, my sister now has Meg!

I remember that they used to be Stubblesdown and Camrose, the former being the darker gold, I'm not sure if that's still the case?

We decided not to have a dog until the kids were older so our first dog was Amber a cocker, I wanted a goldie but my wife wanted a smaller dog, Amber became available from the RSPCA which I have connections to (I'll explain more later)

We lost her at 13, three years ago the week before we due on the broads, she jumped off our bed and broke her back leg in four places!

The vet said it looked like she'd been hit by a car, we had 3 choices, put her down, amputate the leg or have it plated and screwed and in a cage for 4-6 months!

She was 13, I loved her dearly but option 2 and 3 couldn't be done to an old dog, so the vet came to our house, we put her in her favorite spot in the garden we held her as the vet put her down!

I'm not ashamed to say we all cried for hours after the vet left with her

As I said I have an affiliation with the RSPCA, my Granddad was chairman of the local area, my mother spent many hours chasing and rescuing stray dogs, she said she could never go abroad because she wouldn't know where to take any dogs she found. I used to do door to door collections (remember them?) often having doors slammed in my face with the word 'dont give to animals'

We were without a dog for 3 months, absolute torture, when a friend told me of a cocker they were monitoring at the RSPCA

I wont go into too many details, but this dog was being mistreated, but didn't want to part with her, I found the address drove down there with my daughter with a grand in my back pocket

I'll leave out the middle bit, but I left a thousand pounds lighter but my daughter cuddled her all the way home!

Technically not a rescue, but we rescued her!

Unfortunately she's not without her problems, she's the most loving dog I've had, but she needs to know you for several days before she's friendly, so we have to be careful when she's approached, but she is getting better

She often comes to my office with me and she loves everyone, quite often if she hadn't been on her bed for a while, I go looking for her only to find her on somebody's lap!

I wish Griff and everyone else on here happiness with their pets

Below my two 'girls past and present, the one of Amber was taken at Salhouse just before she disgraced herself by going into the muddy ditch!  

71.jpg

• Like 2

We rescued Sydney a couple of years ago in unorthodox circumstances.

He had been locked on a narrowboat with a pair of cats, no food or water, the boat was ankle deep in excrement and stunk. Fortunately an older couple on another narrowboat had spotted that no one was coming to feed these poor animals and were feeding them through a tiny open window and dropping ice cubes through for them to drink. Eventually after a week they phoned the RSPCA who came and left a notice on the boat and said they would retrieve the animals in 3 days time. The weather was due to get hot and the boat was in full sunshine so another couple opened the boat doors, which was not difficult and released the animals. The cats scarpered and were later found wandering around in the village and rescued. The dog was in not such good health and just sat on the grass with his rescuers.

This is when we turn up. His rescuers can't look after him as they have their own pets. So a quick phone call to Liam's boss to check he is ok to go to work with him and we inadvertently end up with a dog going home with us. At this point it is clear that the dog is in a poor state so we book him into a vets as quickly as we can. He was 4kg under weight (He is only 8kg now and is still slim so you can imagine how skinny he was), he was riddle with worms, had fleas, he had an infected cat bite on his rump presumably from scrapping with the cats over scraps of food, he stunk of cat pee and he had not been to the groomers for a long while. He is non shedding so has to visit the groomers every 8 weeks or so. He was also not chipped which is now a legal requirement.

We contacted CRT to try and get the contact details of the boat owner but this is where the tale took an unexpected twist. The boat was next allegedly stolen and was all over the local and national news and social media that it had been stolen and the dog and cats had been stolen. Oddly though whoever stole the boat did the owner a favour and cleaned it out while they did so, the pictures in the news when the boat had been recovered were nothing like the state the boat was in when the dog was released. We managed to get hold of the owner through Facebook who unbelievably wanted to come and pick the dog up. We told him that he could come and pick him up after he had been to the vets and the vets had witnessed his condition. It was at this point that the owner admitted that he could not look after the dog and agreed that we could keep him if we would look after him. We got him to send messages with this in writing for evidence if needs be at a later date. Up until this stage we had tried not to get too attached to the dog as we knew we might have to give him back as much as it would have pained us to do so.

And so began Sydney's long road to a full recovery. The first year we had many visits to the vets to check on his progress but also to start his vaccinations, get him chipped, neutering and general health care. It was not a fast or cheap road to recovery for Syd but it was worth it watching him gain strength but also watching him turn from a very quiet shy dog into the outgoing happy chap that he is today. He has turned into a lovely little boat dog who is full of energy and is so cheeky. He has his forever home now after being passed from pillar to post in his puppy-hood. We are led to believe we are his fourth owners, he had three sets in a little over a year.

Intrigue got the better of us and we had him DNA tested to find out what make he is. He is a miniature schnauzer, miniature poodle, bichon frise, pomeranian, chihauhau mix. A proper mongrel!

20180609-142450.jpg

20180825-165117.jpg

He suffers terribly with separation anxiety which is perhaps understandable and he is terrible with life stock and small furry critters so we have to watch where he is let off the lead. In ordinary times he goes to work with the OH, but with me working from home at the moment he has been here with me and having one day a week at work with Liam. He loves it.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1