It's All Going To The Dogs

8 minutes ago, addicted said:

We were in between houses and were renting a house from a Farmer friend. It had no central heating and we had a  scatttering of electric fires of various types all over the house, One morning I was sitting  at the dining room table reading the paper and Toby my Cocker Spaniel was by my side. I smelt burning and found he had sat himself too close to the electric fire  and singed his rear end!  Before I could do anything about it he suddenly leapt up and running in mid air for a way hurtled out of the dining room. The odd thing was he never forgot the experience and not only did he never enter that room again he associated the incident with the dining room furniture and would never enter the dining room at our next house either.  A situation that remained for the rest of his life.

Carole

Once bitten, twice shy springs to mind here.

• Like 1

Purdey passed a minor milestone today.

Out on our afternoon walk, I went a lot further than normal.  On our way back whilst not on her lead, she suddenly started speeding up and getting further away and in front of me than normal.  I had to call her back to a closer proximity.

She never made it home in time and at last has relieved hersen outside of our garden  :default_icon_clap:

Only taken her since middle of October to achieve that one   :default_icon_rolleyes:

Griff

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Today was somewhat unusual, due to circumstances (Planned) at work I was home by 1630, well before dark on a weekday :default_beerchug:  By 1700 I was off for a rare weekday daylight walk with Purdey dog. 

T'was dark by the time we got back in (1900) we was route marching along our river bank, well, I was.  Purdey dog was charging around like her derriere was on fire in and out of the waters edge to repeatedly put it out.  We manage daylight walks at weekends but week days are not common.  It's getting easier now the days are slightly longer in t evenings

Griff

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Unfortunately late on Friday evening we had to take our dog to the vet for the 3rd time that day & he was put to sleep.  SInce several days he could not get air when lying down & thus no sleep.  We had been several times over the last month to the vets & all they saw was an active dog & claimed he had an infection.  But as soon as he was home & laid down to rest he got no air.

In the afternoon they did an endoscope examination & found that the larynx was staying shut rather than opening & closing.  When running around it seemed that adrenalin was making things work.  Tried antibiotics and cortizone but to no avail.  The family is in deep depression.  Daughter (29, still lives at home) cried most of the night.

He had 7 good years with us after we got him from the rescue centre.  R.I.P. Scotty.
He was a Yorkshire Terrier  - a rather large one at 6 kg.

• Sad 5
  • Love 1

So yesterday morning (1st May is a national holiday here) we dug a deep hole where an apple tree used to be, relaid the border stones and burried poor Scotty together with his favourite toy (a squeeky rabbit that he used to chase around the lounge) and some flowers - all in sunny weather.  Took all morning.  Flower seeds have been scattered over the grave.

Scotty-Grab-Mini.jpg

• Like 3
  • Love 2