Wroxham - a question

DaveS

Is Wroxham so affluent, that it can afford to turn away visiting boaters, who would otherwise likely spend money with local business?

Or, is it that they just don't have the space to accomodate visiting boats, as every conceivable mooring area seems to have been swallowed up by the hire companies.

Why do I ask, well last summer when we made the trip up north, from our base on the Southern Broads, we very much wanted to visit Wroxham, and were very disappointed to find that, unlike it's downstream neighbour Horning, there is no provision for mooring visiting boats, that cannot get under the bridge.

Its a pity, as it seems a nice place to visit, but obviously not by boat. :(

Dave

Funny that, we stayed in the area last year aswell ,and went to wroxham several times,we managed to get stern on infront of the cafe on three ocasions ,perhaps you were just unlucky...or we were very lucky..cost though dunno how much jiffy paid!! :wave

No change there Derek :norty:

Wroxham can be a tricky one particularly if you can’t get through the Bridge. Hire boats can moor at boatyards if there is room. I believe that Faircraft Loynes may let you moor in a private boat if you ask nicely and there is room. You can moor in front of the Hotel Wroxham – free during the day but they charge ten quid overnight. There is the café as has been mentioned, I have moored for free in winter :naughty: but normally there would be a charge. I seem to think the sign says “negotiable†so they may be more lenient if you patronise the café which is fair enough.

cheersbar

We did moor at the empty quay outside the Wroxham Hotel, and went inside to have lunch, but were told that the moorings were pre-booked by boats due to arrive, so we had to leave.

We went back down to Horning, moored up, and had lunch there.

A gain for a business in Horning, and a loss for one in Wroxham.

Its unlikely that we will venture up to Wroxham again, because of the mooring (or lack of it) situation.

Dave

Wroxham is especially bad for the private boater, as you mentioned the cafe and the day boat place just down stream from the hotel do offer a few mooring spots but charge per hour. We have used them when nipping in to the town to do a little shopping, it about £1 and hour or something. Hire boats always have the options of using one of the many boat yards in the area on most days for free. Might see if I can paint a Hoseasons or blakes logo on the bow of my boat but don't I would get away with it as I don't think they hire out Bayliners :dance

Guest DAYTONA-BILL

Hi all, Even in a hire boat Wroxham can be difficult. On nunmerous occaisions we`ve been to the place and not been able to get under the bridge, which is a real pain, as once you get under it, and above the railway bridge, there is several hundred yards of public moorings which is where we prefer to moor. Failing that, our second option is Summercrafts yard, which i think just happens to be one of the prettiest, if not THE prettiest boatyard on the whole of the broads. I`m sure they allow private boats to moor, because i`ve seen them in there. It`s about a 5-10 minute to walk into the village, but you have to go past Wroxham marine on the way :naughty::naughty: . Regards to all .................... Neil.

When we had our last boat we visited Wroxham a few times and used to moor in Barns small Basin at a cost of £10 per night. I don't suppose there would be room when all the boats were in but in the week you also get use of the showers and shore power.

Hi Dave,

Why not go through the bridge?

Or, is it that they just don't have the space to accomodate visiting boats, as every conceivable mooring area seems to have been swallowed up by the hire companies.

There were plenty more Hire yards in Wroxham but when they went 'out of favour' they were converted to houses and private marinas where there is not much chance of stoping :naughty:

Faircraft have recently bought some private moorings which are being converted to hire yard so that visiting hire craft can get free moorings when available, which in turn will free up other moorings :)

Hi Clive

Although there would be enough clearance at the bridge centre, I would have to take the windscreen down to be comfortable with the width. Not a major issue, just a pain to have to do that just to moor up on the other side of the bridge.

When some of the hire companies went, its a pity that the BA weren't able to buy a section of bankside mooring, but then 'money talks', and the property developers arent short of a 'few bob' ;)

I don't mind paying for the privilege of mooring, just as I would for a car park, but if the provision isn't there, then for me, the simple answer is no to visit Wroxham.

Dave

Hi Rod

I have done the run up to Coltishall, many years ago when I had a much smaller boat, and have to agree it is a lovely stretch of river.

My windscreen and side windows aren't of the 'fold down' type, but can be removed, but its just aggravation, or more likely me being lazy ;)

Dave

Guest DAYTONA-BILL

Hi Dave, is it possible and feasable to convert your screen to a fold down type, as Rod says, you`re missing some of the best stretches of the rivers. The same can be said for getting above Wayford bridge, the cruise up to Dilham is one of my favourite stretches. Being able to get under the bridges gives you quite a few extra cruising miles, with much reduced river traffic, making them very peaceful indeed. Regards ............................ Neil.

Not really Bill.

The frame, front and curved sides, is all in one piece, and although its removable by undoing a few thumscrews, and releasing them from their brackets, you still end up with a large and quite heavy (the windscreen is safety glass, the curved sides perspex), structure that's akward to stow easily and safely.

Dave

Dave, Hi

If they're still open this year give Tracey (or John, the owner) a call at the Wroxham Tap.

Hi John

The Tap was certainly open in December (and very good it was too). Tracey told me that the Planning application was due to be heard in January but I believe a decision has now been deferred until March pending further information being submitted. Hope to be back again in a couple of weeks so will check it out (probably several times) :naughty:

cheersbar

Dave - just to put you in the picture on the BA moorings - I do not think that they actually own any of them.They are leased mostly. Whilst i know its frustrating do you really think it an acceptable use of funds to spend perhaps upwards of £500k just to buy a few overnight moorings? The cost of riverside frontage in Wroxham is prohibitive and that kind of money would buy very little. Seems to me the answer may to spend a few bob yourself and make your screen a little easier to remove/lower.Is that a difficult exercise?

Not sure what your airdraft is but i am rarely prevented from going under in the summer with an airdraft of 6' 9".

I like Rod have a "bathtub" and can even get under Thorpe at 6 ft 6 ins and love all areas of the Broads.When I told my local boatyard I had sold out "boat "( a Princess at 8 ft 5 ins ) and bought this he was indignant :o and corrected me and stated "you have bought Broads Boat that was designed for the job" ,and glad we were too :dance As said try and find a way to hinge the screen maybe ,to make it easy to take down :grin: it will be well worth while :party:

Guest DAYTONA-BILL
Hi Dave,

I see your problem but how high is your boat with screens up?

Like Neil says you are missing some of the best bits of the broads.

What bridge height do you need at Beccles?

Airdraft has always been a major consideration in my choice of boat because I could not bear it if I could not do the Dilham trip.

I even get a fair shot at Potter Bridge although I need 6'8" on the gauge there. Thats not bad for a fairly large boat though.

See what Clive is doing with his new boats. By keeping the airdraft down he is giving a 45' boat a fair shot at Potter and not denying all the other places.

Rod

How`s this then Dave, would`nt you like to be sat relaxed in such a beautiful secluded place. This is Swallow (the boat we`ve hired for this June) with Karen relaxing while moored at Dilham staithe at the head of Dilham dyke. One that you like too Rod?, I`m NOT surprised.

post-1-136713794004_thumb.jpg

I think I'm between 6'9" and 7', and I know that Wroxham bridge is quoted at being 7'6" at average high water, but being and arch, that's only at the centre.

I can get under Beccles old bridge at low water, but its tight, and of course that isn't arched. Around high water its a definite 'no go area'.

Of course being Southern Broads based, Wroxham Bridge isn't a major issue, as we probably get up there once a year, but it would be nice to moor south of the bridge, and visit the town. I'd be quite happy to pay for the privilege, if there was provison to do so.

I'm only guessing, but I would think that during the week, when all, or the majority of their boats are out, the Hire Co yards would likely have space for visting private craft to moor for 2-3hrs, and it would provide some revenue for them.

Dave

Guest DAYTONA-BILL

Hi Rod, Swallow IS all wood. I may be wrong, but apart from Martham boat company`s boats, Maffett cruisers Swallow and Merlin are the only other all wood hire cruisers on the Broads. I know Hunters fleet are all wood, but they are yachts :Sailing:Sailing . Regards to all ..................... Neil.

I think I'm between 6'9" and 7', and I know that Wroxham bridge is quoted at being 7'6" at average high water, but being and arch, that's only at the centre.

No, at both Wroxham and Potter, the published and gauge heights do not refer to the maximum height at the centre of the arch.

As Rod alluded with his "square section" comment, the air clearance figures that are quoted everywhere always refer to an arbitrary square shape going through the semi circle section.

Although your Viking's screen isn't an inverted vee shape, it is much narrower than the "average width", and it's also at a single point longitudinally, rather than the square sided sections of most Broads craft running for some length.

I've always been able to pass under Wroxham, even when the boards show 7', with my 7'6" fixed windscreen, with quite a bit of clearance. (And can even get under Potter, when it's tight for " 6'6" " bathtubs.... :)

Very useful info guys, thank you.

We live and learn, as the saying goes :)

It might be a different situation if we upgrade to the latest Seamaster 28, but that's only at the thinking stage at the moment.

It was high water when I was up at Wroxham, and believing that the 7'6" referred to the maximum heigth at the arch centre, I thought it was just too tight to risk going under, and nobody wants to look like a total pratt and rip off the windscreen in front of the audience that stand on the bridge for the entertainment value :lol:

Dave

I have often look at Wroxham bridge and thought I am sure my boat will go under that with the arch down, but never had the gut to try it! Does anyone have any ideas wide the clearance of the posted hight is? i.e 7'6" at 12' or 11'? thanks