One For Helen, Arthur And Mike

Polly

From the Spectator 

A local council in Wales has added140 words to the Welsh language as native speakers struggle to adapt to new terminology coined during the pandemic. The list includes ‘gweithiwr ar seibiant’ (furlough), ‘cwarantin’ (quarantine), and ‘hunanynysu’ (self-isolation). The coronavirus self-employment income support scheme is translated as ‘Y Cynllun Cymorth Incwm i’r Hunangyflogedig drwy gyfnod Coronafeirws’.

• Like 1

Have had other things on my mind but I will reply now,

Yes this is the chorus from the Welsh National Anthem

"Hen Vlad Fy Nhadau"

I will have a go at translating but if I get it wrong then blame the dragons.

Home Home, I love my home

Where the  pure land is surounded by the sea

May our language continue.

The first part of my post shoukd be fairly obvious

"Draig goch am byth"

Red dragon for ever"

• Like 1

On 24/07/2020 at 18:22, Polly said:

. . . . . . . ‘gweithiwr ar seibiant’ (furlough), ‘cwarantin’ (quarantine), and ‘hunanynysu’ (self-isolation). The coronavirus self-employment income support scheme is translated as ‘Y Cynllun Cymorth Incwm i’r Hunangyflogedig drwy gyfnod Coronafeirws’.

Face coverings??  If I tried to pronounce them, you’d need something more substantial (and waterproof), than face coverings, Covid or not!!!😁😁

• Haha 1

The English built all those castles on the Welsh Marches to try and keep the Welsh out.

It never worked though.

Airbrushed out?

More likely my poor attempt at trying to translate good Welsh into a foreign language.

• Haha 1

Ooo! I’ve only just caught up with this thread! That’s what going on the Broads for a long weekend does. I lose touch! 

Of course it’s Anglesey, known as ‘Mon Mam Cymru’ (Anglesey Mother of Wales). (Except I can’t do the ‘little roof’ that belongs over the ‘o’ of Mon on the forum.) I believe the saying is related to Anglesey having been the main area producing wheat in earlier times. There must be a kernel of truth in it, as there used to be a remarkable number of windmills on the island.

If you're on Windows, there's a category called "Windows accessories" in your list of apps and programs. In there there's something called "Character Map". It's got every conceivable character you'll ever need. Select the one you want, copy and paste it into your text.