Great Holiday - Should Do Better !

The beginning - A cautionary tale

Well here we are, July 10th., we are booked to pick up the boat at 3pm. We got to Stalham well early so spent a couple of hours driving around Stalham Staithe, Sutton, Potter Heigham to view from the landside.

Back to Richardsons 2.50pm and slotted into the queue. Things were proceeding quite quickly and it was soon our turn to board. I went over the boat with the trial run driver who skipped the trial run because we had been there in March. A slight worry because we hadn't been on Glistening Horizon 2 before but we were keen to be gone so having been all over the boat we unloaded the car and were eventually able to join the stream of boats getting out aprox. 3.45pm.

I had remembered to change our contact details because on the way up I had discovered that I had left my mobile in the kitchen at home so I gave the number of my son's mobile that we like him to carry so that we can check where he is. I should have realised then that maybe not everything would be quite as planned !

Barton Broad was surprisingly quiet given how many boats had left Richardsons.

A sedate cruise down the Ant followed and it quickly became evident that GH 2 had a mind all of her own, although behaving very well on turns and mooring it was all but impossible to steer a straight line, for the entire 10 day holiday !  The stern was determined to get where we were going before the bow ! It was however much better later on, a couple of times we were going against the tide.

We aimed to go south for the first few days so thought Acle would be a good aiming point for the first night having worked out that we needed to be at Great Yarmouth between 8.30 and 9.30am.
Ludham bridge was incredibly busy and we were hoping this was not an example of what was to come but in the event we went straight through having hit it (Not literally) just right, with nothing coming the other way. The traffic thinned slightly as many people seemed relieved to have made it that far and moored up.

We carried on to Acle, chuffed to bits to be back on the water, and thoroughly enjoying the ride. Unfortunately that was where the wheels fell off, or more accurately - the wife.

I mentioned sometime ago a "daffy" wife and a son with an autistic condition. In my wife's case this relates to delayed treatment for a thyroid condition, some years ago, which affected her head. She has good days and bad days and I'm never sure which is coming. This was not one of the good ones although it started well enough.

Bear in mind I went over the usual safety warnings while unloading the car including the recent fatality in Norwich where a man had fallen overboard, thinking this might concentrate the mind a bit.

As I coasted in to moor, some way short of the Pedro moorings, with one eye on my son at the stern rope out of the corner of the other I saw my wife jump on to the bank and promptly spring backwards, landing between boat and bank. It turns out she was wearing cork-soled wedgie sandals, - and no lifejacket.

Having gone a week in March with no problems it took just a couple of hours this time to test our mortality.

She went completely under, hanging on to the bow rope. It took the best part of 15 minutes to get her out as the bank was quite high and at this point I would like to apologise to the guy shouting from about 100yds away, if he should ever read this, as the effort required, with my COPD, left me doubled up with barely enough oxygen to breathe let alone answer back.

The water is indeed freezing and it took a couple of hours for her to stop shivering, some of that due to shock no doubt.

I have included this tale not for the benefit of the more experienced members but as a warning to new members who have recently posted as new to the broads.

My wife admits it was entirely her own fault as she should have stepped not jumped ashore, she should have been wearing the boat shoes bought specially for our boating holidays - or even trainers would have been better, and she should have been wearing her lifejacket !

Not many pics to start with, my mind was elsewhere,  a good one of George, my son, at the helm. He's taken to it very well indeed. More of the tale to follow, including George trying, and only just failing, to match his mother's antics.

George001.jpg.775c935a90570c5299832abf8d5f9a14.jpg

Dsci0564a.jpg.5b72725e46c6ba96c787ef862aaf59a1.jpg

Dsci0582a.jpg.5ed84f321ca28aaacefc664ae85b44ba.jpg

Dsci0585a.jpg.2b562ba800af244f4df1441ebda7beb4.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

i think the steering is a problem most can relate to, the trick is toproceed in a series of shallow arcs, no boat will steer straight if you leave the steering alone for more than a few seconds, the trick is finding where the steering bites on each side of centre, then moving perhaps an inch past when you want to go in a straight line, recentre, and now its probably time for an inch the other way. what I tend to do is have as fixed point at the screen and the tip of the bow, and watch where they are pointed on the bank, you will see the boat turning one way or the other, the back moves a lot further than the front, especially on a forward steer, on Jayne i have about 3 foot from window to bow.

Goodness me MotorBoater, what a start to your trip! Thank goodness it all turned out ok, no doubt boating shoes and life jacket will be featured prominently from now on? Looking forward to hearing more of your trip and seeing more pictures. 

On a sailer we use sail trim to balance this out on a cruiser the force is always pushing from behind that coupled with wind and tide it’s a bit like pushing rope. 
Not to forget that the steering is from behind so the front lags then you get that familiar snake effect😄

yup. I’ve jumped ashore on a wild mooring straight into a hollow vee disguised as solid ground. Never again

Worth remembering that water is always trying to kill you no matter where it is

• Like 1

2 hours ago, grendel said:

. . . . . . . . . .  no boat will steer straight if you leave the steering alone for more than a few seconds . . . . . . . . 

Not sure that I agree with that.  Moonlight Shadow does require small and frequent steering inputs to maintain a straight course, however our own boat responds well to the helm and will happily continue in a straight line with very little steering input, unless it is windy.

When we were looking for our boat, we did try one which I believe Mr Nog held in high regard when in a hire fleet, which always seemed to want to turn right and took some effort to keep it on course.

Possibly it depends on the steering gear and maintenance to some degree.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mouldy said:

Not sure that I agree with that.  Moonlight Shadow does require small and frequent steering inputs to maintain a straight course, however our own boat responds well to the helm and will happily continue in a straight line with very little steering input, unless it is windy.

When we were looking for our boat, we did try one which I believe Mr Nog held in high regard when in a hire fleet, which always seemed to want to turn right and took some effort to keep it on course.

Possibly it depends on the steering gear and maintenance to some degree.

I'm with Malcom although I can understand why Peter says that because there are so many factors at play. One thing that tends to catch out the inexperienced, apart from the tendency to over-correct, is that speed makes a big difference. The slower the speed, the less water moving past the rudder and the greater the steering inputs required.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Broads01 said:

I'm with Malcom although I can understand why Peter says that because there are so many factors at play. One thing that tends to catch out the inexperienced, apart from the tendency to over-correct, is that speed makes a big difference. The slower the speed, the less water moving past the rudder and the greater the steering inputs required.

Which is why I kept speeds to the max even though we not in a hurry to get anywhere particularly. :default_stinky:

5 hours ago, grendel said:

i think the steering is a problem most can relate to, the trick is toproceed in a series of shallow arcs, no boat will steer straight if you leave the steering alone for more than a few seconds, the trick is finding where the steering bites on each side of centre, then moving perhaps an inch past when you want to go in a straight line, recentre, and now its probably time for an inch the other way. what I tend to do is have as fixed point at the screen and the tip of the bow, and watch where they are pointed on the bank, you will see the boat turning one way or the other, the back moves a lot further than the front, especially on a forward steer, on Jayne i have about 3 foot from window to bow.

The rather large wheel on GH2 required half a turn either way to "Bite" so we were forever turning one way or the other.

The main problems were the effect of wind on the relatively high stern and the fact that our flat-bottomed barge was swung this way and that by the wash from some of the speedier brethren ! The racket when the wash hit was a bit loud.

We tried steering into it but that caused problems lining up again.

I wouldn't want to give the impression that we were unhappy with the boat, we tend to regard any "Problems" as part of the holiday but it was a bit annoying seeing the newer (and rather more expensive) boats proceeding in a somewhat straighter line than us. You pays your money and take your chances !

• Like 1

Looking forward to reading more of your tale and seeing your photos. Thank you for sharing this with us, especially your cautionary tale. It's a brave thing to admit to our faults and the things that go wrong as well as all the good times that we enjoy.

• Like 3

Guest Jayfire
1 hour ago, SwanR said:

Looking forward to reading more of your tale and seeing your photos. Thank you for sharing this with us, especially your cautionary tale. It's a brave thing to admit to our faults and the things that go wrong as well as all the good times that we enjoy.

I'd admit my faults Jean, but I haven't got all ruddy week :default_biggrin:

:default_xmas2:

July 11th - Lets go South

6.15am Saturday, early start for Great Yarmouth, a few others on the move too although not as many as I expected. I like to allow a little extra time for error so I suppose there will be a few more soon.

It's only been half a day and already I've seen more kayaks and paddle boards than I've seen all year - and last.

Through Acle Bridge and off we go. One Bridgecraft boat at their moorings, looking immaculate as always. A few Richardsons boats waiting on assistance inside by the look of it.

On to Stokesby, we were going to stop and visit the new shop but the pub moorings looked full with "Socially Distanced" boats and the free moorings had a couple of 38/40 ft front drives so we decided to try again on the way back.

There were a few boats about, going both ways, but really not that many. We just got used to the upstairs steering position and the fact you were sitting on the engine. The noise was only a problem when trying to communicate with the saloon !  We had already discovered crossing Barton that my wife is not a contender for helm of the year and she was happy to leave that side of it to the boy and me. I figured to get past Stracey and turn the boat over to George and give him a go.

Stracey came and went, quite busy there, actually a good few people on the bank but, really, does EVERY boat have to be 30ft. apart ?

George takes the helm, I've told him to keep to the middle as far as possible. I'm surprised at how well he is doing, we find he has downloaded an app on the Steam platform and has been secretly practising for weeks, not the real thing of course but it has done wonders for his confidence. The app doesn't have a section on what to do when the wash from passing boats throws you off but he coped really well !

And so to Great Yarmouth, I take the helm, no chance of "Socially Distanced" mooring here. Good job there is no double mooring either as two way traffic with the occasional moored boat on the opposite bank is hairy enough as it is. We carry on straight through under the bridges and away to Breydon.

George back in control, we resisted the urge to open the throttle to the max and kept to 5mph all the way across and down the Waveney to St. Olaves. We considered stopping for a look at Burgh Castle but decided against, maybe another time. Plodding on, we are aiming for Beccles, a long day.

St. Olaves had plenty of boats moored inside and outside the various establishments but not much actually to be seen going on, just us and three other boats passing through, as I recall. The Herringfleet moorings look lovely, not much going on of course, but full all the same.

Somerleyton pretty much like St. Olaves so on to WRC. This looked wonderful in the sunshine. Starting to tire a bit but still about hour and half to go. George and I are swapping about every 30 mins now.

The run from WRC to Beccles must be one of the best down there, I quite forgot where I was. Time to wake up when a succession of kayaks and paddle boards announces arrival at Beccles Yacht Station.

And that was the big surprise - its half to two thirds empty ! After all the craft sitting around everywhere, including outside the station itself I thought spaces might be perhaps a bit tight but no problem at all. It didn't change at all while we were there either. Stern mooring has never been my strong suit but no problem here.

£11 overnight, including water, will do me nicely. After chatting to a nice couple with a daughter and three dogs on a private next door I dozed for an hour while Stella and George explored the town. Actually I could have had a couple of hours before they got back. At least I got to wander around the Yacht Station. More to come.Dsci0591a.jpg.f070788f6c0ded7ef9ef206b94b414af.jpg

Dsci0594a.jpg.5861c8fd0f273703b926feab7dddb1ef.jpg

Dsci0598a.jpg.092811e9dc60cf7fc363c2b623195956.jpg

Dsci0603a.jpg.123597a8c628d99d313ebdaabb03fd89.jpg

Dsci0612a.jpg.2096ee43bfc9ffce4eb510db7a2c3a0f.jpg

Dsci0610a.jpg.385fd57aa243a49eb7717648ccaa62e1.jpg

• Like 14

Thank you Vaughan, that's one to remember.

We only used the lower position once, during a shower, quite memorable actually.

Given the position of the seat, wheel and wiper motor, every time I moved my head it banged on the motor - I do mean every time.

A particular contortion was required to see out of the top right hand corner of the screen as a six inch square patch there was the only bit the wiper cleared.

I would not consider a boat for hire without a wiper but I do realise I am kidding myself, for the most part, when I think it will be useful. I know cost is a factor but why do the companies invest in these in the first place and then not get them working properly.

The wire coathanger type of blade and arm are all but useless. The sweep of the arm is usually limited and the lightweight blade often bounces across the bit of screen it does sweep. I suppose the size of the motor is a clue, most boat wiper motors are a third to one half the size of the one fitted to any car I have ever had.

The smaller size is no bonus when it's positioned to catch the unwary !

8 hours ago, Vaughan said:

The difference with the wipers on a car, is that they don't get caught up in mooring ropes, boathooks or mops!

Nor do they get bent off by children sliding down the windscreen from the roof above.

I concede !  :default_icon_clap:

July 12th. - Get me Out Of here !

We left Beccles earlyish, but not especially so, as we decided to try for Lodden. Another long run but we thought if we made it all well and good, if not there is always tomorrow

I can gloss over much of the trip because it was much the same as yesterday. St. Olaves was a bit hectic and as we started up the Haddiscoe Cut I noticed the Marina and Anglia Basin was quite empty and quiet, the outside moorings only had one boat too. The cut was fairly busy in keeping with much of the area and it wasn't until we neared Reedham that it died down quite a bit. Until we actually got to the bridge.

Nothing special, just the usual "Mine's bigger than yours so I've got right of way, no it's not, yes it is" kind of thing.

We just hung back until a gap appeared and then went through just before a bath tub coming the other way appeared from behind the bridge base where he had been hiding.

Pushing on we passed His Lordship to the right, couldn't have moored even if we had wanted to, passed the chain ferry and turned into the Chet. As we did I noticed the Hardley Cross moorings were virtually empty, just two boats there, just as well.

I like the Chet, a lot. The twists and turns at the beginning give the impression you have travelled for miles but a look at the map shows you really haven't gone that far, as the crow flies (Or would do if you could find one).

We had followed a couple of boats when we turned in though they soon pulled away as we weren't hurrying and I realised that an increasing number were going the other way, the penny still didn't drop as I was more concerned with keeping out of their way.

As we approached Pyes Mill the fun began. It was packed out and overflowing at both ends from before the first righthand bend to the left turn down to the boatyards. No room for socially distanced moorings here, in fact looking at the river banks no-one around here knew what social distancing is.

we chugged on down to the basin with no chance of turning beforehand, checking the boatyards on the way. One had a sign saying hire boats welcome to moor with another sign saying stern-mooring only. What looked like a Broom 30, or similar, put paid to that by mooring side on across the available space. No-one around.

The entrance to the basin had three paddleboarders and two kayaks across it and three fishermen just inside at the lefthand corner with their rods aimed into the basin, across the only vacant mooring for miles.

With the fishermen ignoring Stella's hand signals of our intention to moor and the kayaks creeping under their rods into the same space I decided I'd had enough. I revved the engine for a tight turn, managed to miss the moored boats in the process, despite the screams of the bankside spectators apparently convinced otherwise.

The paddleboarders who had resumed station across the entrance soon realised I was coming back out and shifted pretty smartly. Back past the boatyards to what was now a righthand turn with a bath tub on the left hand bank, right where he didn't need to be. A quick look over my shoulder to make sure it was clear behind and the stern decided to kick out and send us straight for the tub.

I revved the engine and regained the steering with only a nudge of the bath tub, rounded the corner to find a guy on the back of a small cruiser, inevitably with a rod, waving three fingers and shouting "Three miles an hour". I was already slowing back down so I resisted the temptation to reply with two thirds of his digits and proceeded to get out of there, praying that the Hardley moorings still had space.

In the event there was indeed plenty of space so we moored up and chilled out for the night with just the occasional bump up and down when another cruiser went by.

I'm not sure I have conveyed how packed, crazy and frenetic Lodden seemed, the more so for being unexpected. However busy the rivers, moorings and boatyards, both before and after, nothing else was quite like it.

We decided to save touring the rest of the south for another time and made plans to head back north, not least because the main reason for changing the boat booking for a lower airdraft was a desire to get to Coltishall. More to come.

Dsci0615a.jpg.a44a87c33bf05b38f95e79ad133db19b.jpg

Dsci0621a.jpg.ccf6d6c0fe1483260735ea5e7eabc76d.jpg

Dsci0624a.jpg.0a90ae129d3b1022c442f900e1afa00a.jpg

Dsci0639a.thumb.jpg.d2e0a1eff085a33d1ef2a6ad061f624f.jpg

Dsci0646a.jpg.7f217575c896e17df5fca0c6e367ebb4.jpg

Dsci0651a.jpg.a4bbe810c33d7dd9e41ab3848ed830d9.jpg

• Like 12

July 13th. - Country Odours etc

We were sharing Hardley Cross with a small tub cruiser and a rather larger (Heightwise) type, peaceful enough for the most part and we popped up on deck occasionally and just let it all sink in. After the Lodden escapade I might need Harry Potter's invisibility cloak for my next visit. Anyone got a contact number ?

We wanted to be away around 9am to catch the tide, more or less, at Yarmouth but we were up quite late when the wife came down and announced a "Funny smell, like sewage". Assuming she mean't inside the boat George and I jumped up and started checking toilets and kitchen sink before she said it seemed to be outside. I put my head out of the hatch and detected a faintish aroma more associated with farmland in October than the Broads in July.

Half an hour later it wasn't faint anymore. Head out, nothing untoward, got the torch and shone it on the bank wondering if we had any nocturnal bovine visitors but no. What I saw was cavities under the mooring, with small lengths of chain across such as appear in many places on the broads. Whatever it was caking those cavitities I don't know, I haven't seen it anywhere else and it didn't look pleasant !

Battened down the hatches, taped up the ventilation windows on that side and turned in. By early morning the tide was back up and the smell was gone. If BA have a spare body with a pressure washer I suggest they helicopter him in sooner rather than later.

We soon left all that behind and set off about 9.15am for the North. Back past Reedham Ferry and Reedham itself with gaps appearing as others left to go their merry way and others moving in to take their place. No problem at the bridge, swung left and we were on our way to Breydon.

The weather was not at all bad throughout the holiday, yes there were showers early on, only natural, but nothing up to "Spoiler" level. The breezes however I found difficult at times - no meat on me at all and this was particularly noticeable on the stretch from Reedham to Breydon and on across the water, Brilliant sunshine, sunglasses, wide-brimmed hat and thick anorak !

Things quietened down considerably, weatherwise, by the time we hit Picadilly Circus Great Yarmouth. Cerise Lady was one of the boats passing us in the opposite direction, I only noticed because it did stand out from the crowd, there may have been others but my attention was on a big boy, stern out from the bank, in the distance.

George had been on the wheel much of the way from Reedham, but he made sure he wasn't at Yarmouth.

We were minded to water-up at Stracey but more than one boat had the same idea so we pushed on hoping for a break at Stokesby and a look at the new shop. Sure enough, round the bend and a sizeable craft was just leaving the BA mooring leaving room for us, just.

The only problem was a lifelike  Buddha type figure in a rather large chair with a long thin protuberance from his lap - that turned out to be a fishing rod.

The only way in was to turnaround, approach obliquely, and glide. I do try to keep my stories short (Honest) so suffice to say we hit the rod, swamped his net, grazed a portion of his chair overhanging the bank and STILL BUDDHA DIDN'T MOVE. It was only after we had tied up, just clear of his position, that he got up and silently began packing up and disappeared. Clearly not taking any more chances.

We soon found the shop and queued up outside, as per sign, only to be told we were the only people in the queue, yes it really was one of those days. In my humble opinion they deserve every success with that place, we didn't really need anything but spent £20+ anyway and went for a lovely walk, we found a property with homemade honey, jams and jellies for sale "Guarded" by a black Lab who might lick you to death if your not careful, spent another £20 and headed back to the boat.

We adore the place.

Onwards and upwards, through Acle Bridge, only one Bridgecraft boat again, immaculate again, busy with Richardson boats again. Past Upton Dyke, signed as very narrow on my map, how those Eastwood boats manage it I don't know, it's certainly narrow and all the boats moored nose to tail down one side must make it worse. A number of their boats out and about show it's feasible but I wonder if any of them do it under sail !

No more excitement really, joined the traffic around St. Benets before turning left down Fleet to South Walsham, another of our favourites. More to follow.

Dsci0654a.jpg.66ffc860ec5c0eafe278579d165b9cb9.jpg

Dsci0657a.jpg.e85ed6fe1e9513656beb71d93a0a3c11.jpg

Dsci0660a.jpg.386bfb0993ccd0d2d12e1a248dbf2189.jpg

Dsci0663a.thumb.jpg.f7dbf51123ca85a8a2b7919bbfae3fd8.jpg

Dsci0684a.jpg.8c8df76a9b6bedab82c37b1502012ad4.jpg

Dsci0688a.jpg.0e99a477c97aea13ae14a6aa343b704e.jpg

• Like 8

On 28/07/2020 at 02:35, MotorBoater said:

As we approached Pyes Mill the fun began. It was packed out and overflowing at both ends

I think you may have picked the wrong day to try Pye’s Mill. Saturdays and Sundays see a lot of private boats head there, the same for Loddon staithe I would think. During the week it’s the normal ‘busy’. 
Enjoying your tale, lots more please. 🙂

July 13th/14th. Unplanned Route March leads to near dehydration (Ok, maybe not)

I can't remember what time we got to South Walsham but suspect it was around 3pm. Wife and son decide to go for a walk, as they did in March, George is hungry, as he was in March, and Stella is worried about the water.

We were using a combination of bottled water and tank. The description and photos of GH2 did not show a separate filtered tap and to be safe we brought a pack of water with us just in case. In the event we found a filter under the sink that even the trial driver didn't know was there.  As it happened we were quite happy with the combination and she thought the bottled supply was a little low. We had also run out of milk.

Neither of them could remember what they found in March so decided to explore. I didn't go, as in March, COPD playing up, I wasn't walking anywhere much. I did stretch as far as Marine-Tech a bit later.

Finally left to my own devices I pottered around the boat having a tidy-up and returned to the fresh air to find a nice looking craft in front of us labelled Norfolk Lady. My "Crew" had been missing for some time by then.

I realised I had found a forum member.  I introduced myself to Malcolm and we had a right old natter for quite a while, properly distanced of course. My crew was stll missing.

Eventually Malcolm returned to his boat only to return a little later with enough milk for a couple of cups of tea, presumably taking pity on my prowling up and down the bank. My crew was still missing.

Much appreciated Malcolm, thanks again.

At last wife and son appear, suitably laden with supplies. As they stagger on board I learn they have walked all the way to Ranworth and back. That, of course, became my fault. Matters didn't improve on discovering I had had a couple of cuppas due to Malcolm's good nature.

However, kettle on and the world soon returned to normal (Well, the "new" normal).

Stella said Ranworth was horrendously busy, the moorings were full and boats were mudweighting all over.

Having overnighted we set off for Coltishall, at last. I vaguely remember being there some time ago and after watching, on youtube, a trip London Rascal did a while back, wherein he tutored a nervous Sheila in turning the boat around, him on the bank, Sheila on the boat, we had put it at the top of our wish list.

We diverted to Ranworth/Malthouse  for a tootle around the broad, certainly was packed out, then called at Salhouse for the sake of the water tank, which took very little time with their larger bore hose. While we were there I rang Wroxham pilot who confirmed my thoughts that 2.30pm would be a good time and told me to ring him when moored at the Wroxham pilot staithe.

We got to the bridge on time via another detour, through Wroxham Broad, and a dawdle through the approaches with Stella, as usual, picking out the houses I'm supposed to put an offer on when our numbers come up.

Well it does help to pass the time.

There was a long orange tub already on the mooring when we got there so space was at a premium. The chap on that seemed a bit concerned at our arrival but didn't say anything to us although he seemed in deep conversation with his wife at one point. Not sure but it might have been about how our pointy end was overhanging his stern to the extent that we might have remodelled his rear door if the wind had been in a different direction.

I rang the pilot as instructed and settled down to wait. He was a busy lad but appeared from the other side, changed over to the tub, took him through then came back for us, we were on our way.

More to follow. Next post will be a problem, too many pics, I'll try to choose the best.

Dsci0669a.jpg.1fe336f4ba9d3aef9efaac58d9431fbb.jpg

Dsci0675a.jpg.eda2df6e810080a2031c796d069a3b4f.jpg

Dsci0681a.jpg.7002a4fbaf7f9774d4f890976988624f.jpg

Dsci0696a.jpg.6a0812e27970fb3057404cde5ad4e9d6.jpg

Dsci0702a.jpg.e45e025b1eac674fce842f217507e050.jpg

Dsci0705a.jpg.98ead09f8a2913d7c5300b3101fdec87.jpg

• Like 10