Great Holiday - Should Do Better !

Motorboater, I've loved reading your account of your holiday afloat. Very well written and amusing, thank you.

We've been away from the Broads now since 1997 but have 3 weeks booked for next May. Hope the quarantine for those coming in from Spain, which is where we live, is lifted by then!!

We can't wait but are somewhat horrified at tales of boat jams, packed rivers and full moorings. However, we're determined to enjoy it.  And we always have a dinghy so I guess we can always mudweight and row ashore!

Appreciate your comments John.

We booked early July way back last December, before the hell that is covid took off. The thinking was that we would get the holiday done before the schools broke up.

It's not that we dislike the kids, it's just that the school holidays are known to be busier and we thought, along with many others I'm sure, that although busy it wouldn't be as frantic if families were not there. Easier mooring, fewer boats and easier access to "Tourist spots".

We had no idea that Boris would give the kids six months holiday by surrendering to the unions in quite the way he appears to have done.

I doubt that next May will give the kind of problems that have been experienced to date. If we haven't beaten covid we might at least have got used to it.

One tip for hirers, if mooring is difficult, make use of the agreements the yards have to allow other hiring yards boats' to use their yards to moor, at the same time you can top-up with water (Possibly not at H. Woods !) and sort out a pump out. Chargeable obviously, and convenient.

Hopefully time flies, and you will be on the water before you know it.

• Like 2

Agree with the previous comments. Very much enjoyed your tale. Love Paddy’s Lane for that last night, one of our favourite places especially on the side where you were. They were working along there in March so we had to moor round opposite the boatyard where it was definitely less sheltered. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, MotorBoater said:

Appreciate your comments John. ......

Hopefully time flies, and you will be on the water before you know it.

Thanks very much for those encouraging remarks.  Though we start our voyage of re-discovery the day after May Bank Holiday, I think kids should be back at school and there should be no anglers. At least I hope there is still a closed season! (I checked:- there is!).

I've never had a pilot through Wroxham Bridge, as no such service existed and, on each of my numerous previous trips, the first in 1961 on Sable (2?) - we've always been able to get through Potter Heigham Bridge at some stage, so times have changed. And from what I've seen, though there are far fewer boatyards that hire out craft, and possibly fewer hire craft, there do seem to be far, far more privately owned vessels on the Broads with many ex-hirecraft being bought up by syndicates?

We are early risers and I remember from previous times the joy of having the river almost to yourself, so we will be doing plenty of that!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, johnash said:

We are early risers and I remember from previous times the joy of having the river almost to yourself, so we will be doing plenty of that!

That would be the biggest tip I could give

Move your day, get up early and go to bed early

i like to support the local pubs, so we normal cruise early moor up at 11ish and moor again 3ish not had a problem (normal times) in July

We always have a dinghy, not used it a lot but recently it’s been used to get from Ranworth Island to The Maltsters and opposite the Horning Ferry to get into Horning, it’s my ‘insurance’. 😉

Never stayed overnight on the mudweight as we have a dog and that late evening walk could prove difficult!

With 3 weeks booked you have the advantage of being able to try a mooring again if you fail 1st time

However, if you get to moorings early you won’t have a problem.....enjoy

• Like 2

I remember reading your dramatic first instalment of this tale the day before we went on the Broads. I made my son's read it to show why I kept banging on about not jumping off the boat.

Really enjoyed catching up with it since we've been back and glad you all seem to have a good time away in the end.