Guest mariotech

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

Brightlingsea Baz? Are you kidding? Have you got a special mud-cutting hull!! Morgan Marine arent geared up for anything really either!!

How about a quick dive up the Deben to Ramsholt (See my pics from last year), or perhaps the Antares owners club stomping ground of Shotley - Bloody ecellent marina there and if necessary we can arrange for some petrol for Ian to be bought down?

Then on to Marks territory - make sure you have your 'locking prop nuts' o otherwise you may wake up in the morning, find your boat propped up on bricks and the props nicked!!!! Failing that any port that has a boat in it called m/s Spearmint Rhino sounds good to me!

Bloody ecellent marina there and if necessary we can arrange for some petrol for Ian to be bought down?

If we're about the place I'm happy to chuck a few cans in the back of the Hearse GT, also can arrange discount and make sure you are all on the same pontoon if given a bit of notice. :)

As a matter of interest the proper fuel here is now FAME free ULSD so no worries on filling up with problem inducing Bio stuff.

Brightlingsea Baz? Failing that any port that has a boat in it called m/s Spearmint Rhino sounds good to me!

Brightlingsea Baz now theres a alias, as for the last bit Gave can you enlighten me :?

I for one would be up for a night at Ramsholt and Shotley.

• 4 weeks later...
Just found out that there is a cut through from the Crouch that spits you out just east of Southend, would make Burnham a lot less out of the way. :Stinky

I seem to remember reading about that one in the pilot book, and if my memory serves me right it is VERY tide dependent.

(But then again which sections of the Essex coast aren't!)

So if you get the timing wrong instead of spitting you out it can land you on some very sticky Essex mud.. :oops::oops:

I will check the book again when I get a chance.

Martin :Sailing

p.s. If anyone going wants to borrow an Admiralty Essex and Suffolk Coasts chart folio and a North Sea pilot rather than investing in their own

then I can lend you one (Applying the NM's issued after my last trip out of Harwich will be your problem...)

Ian - Assume you mean going south between Foulness Island & Wallasea Island cutting past Potton Island and exiting via Havengore Creek and the Lift bridge over the Maplin Sands.

It is a few years since I was across on the edge of Maplin (fishing) there is from memory not more than around 6 feet is at normal tides so a neap would need to be timed to perfection and even then it will be bottom clenching. Local advice is the passage should only be made during springs by craft drawing no more than 1.5 metres. If you go aground here it will be properly the Maplin Sands are massive. Also there is a Firing Range which I am pretty sure still operates so this need to be taken into account and permission sought.

Weather will also need to be very good given the depths over the sands.

Havengore is a Lift Bridge which you will be used to ;) but like those your end has had its share of mechanical problems over the past years

This may also help - http://www.roachriver.org.uk/rsa/haveng ... engore.htm

http://www.hooness.org.uk/articles/have ... /index.htm

I can't recall for certain but I think there may be a Swing Bridge to get round Potton Island. I realise the need to conserve fuel but if it were me I would bite the bullet and go the longer route there would be just too many variables with this for me; and besides surley you have had enough of bridges :naughty:

Havengore.pdf

post-79-136713800275_thumb.jpg

Isn't it great to have so many people to let you know when you are being silly.

Had not done the research on this and it seems that Perry is once again right with his in depth knowledge of the east coast cheersbar . Spring Tides Only. Could be a bit of an adventure though if anyone is up for it?

Not sure about the East Coast Ian but the Outer Thames in particular from years of fishing.

In an 18ft Dory with an outboard if you went aground it was just a case of 'getting out and pushing' :?

You could always go the other way and have a dabble with the Ray Sands if you are looking to cut down the mileage ;)

Ray Sands.pdf

Isn't it great to have so many people to let you know when you are being silly.

Had not done the research on this and it seems that Perry is once again right with his in depth knowledge of the east coast cheersbar . Spring Tides Only. Could be a bit of an adventure though if anyone is up for it?

If your after near running aground action Ian you could just stick to the Medway :naughty:

If your after near running aground action Ian you could just stick to the Medway :naughty:

See that is what you get for admitting your mistake and it was a near miss spotted by me before stopping, have been told you can't be an east coast boater if you have never run aground so am still trying to break my duck. :naughty::naughty: