Salty Bottoms Summer 2011

Guest mariotech

See that is what you get for admitting your mistake and it was a near miss spotted by me before stopping, have been told you can't be an east coast boater if you have never run aground so am still trying to break my duck. :naughty:

Quite right Ian; avoiding 'bottom touching' (ooh eer Mrs) is an East Coast affliction we all try to avoid :o

No mistake BTW; a question put up for any views - what forums are about.

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The mistake in question, eluded to by Jonathan was my slight lack of attention last year that almost lead to me running aground on the Medway, if it had not been for the depth sounder alarm I would have grounded in what looked like open water after missing the left turn at the folly just down from Gillingham on my way back to the Thames.

No one else was around so I could have got away with it if I had been that way inclined, unlike someone who felt the best heading for the Thames from Pye End buoy was actually North East, taking another boat with them and in full view of another boat heading down the Walton Channel :grin:

Think the reason given was that as diesels were so economical not enough fuel had been used on the journey from Southwold to the backwaters.

Just re reading "Magic of the Swatchways " by Maurice Griffiths also wrote other books on the East Coast and Thames estuary where the tales of the sands and occasional groundings are as true today as in the days in which they were written.Certainly and area to be treated with respect as I remember sailing with our sailing club many years ago of touching several times in the Walton Backwaters in an old Hilliard with a fairly deep keel but luckily we got off and saved spending the night at an angle on the mud .Always liked that part of the coast and up the London River .Any way although his books are Rag and Stick they make a good read about this part of the coast. cheersbar

Im with you on that Wayne!! Lets face it, if we want waves we can make our own!! Besides, they do make a job of trying to keep the ice in your glass when sunbathing, and there's nothing worse than a salty Pimms!! ice slice

• 3 weeks later...

We have talked about going up to the non tidal Thames after St Kats so we could do with some tide times for the two weeks before we can book dates. Anyone got a tidal app :?

Trying to remember what time the last lock is at st Kats as this could be an issue. Also what time compared to HW we need to leave St Kats to go upstream to the non tidal lock. Thats assuming anyone wants to go to the non tidal Thames. Perhaps if we can get this info together for a conflab in the yacht club at Easter. cheersbar

Hiya

The lock operates HW -2hrs to HW +1 ½hrs, during 0600 - 2030hrs

I am not bothered either way about the non-tidal bit - would be nice to see but extra miles. I guess its a choice as to do that or have some play time on the way / way back from St.Kats.

meeting at Yacht club I think a good idea cheersbar

rgds

C.S

Hi all

If you wanted to cruise up to teddington lock and back on same day,best to start from limehouse as entry +or-3hr h/w ,leave on flood ,return from ted on ebb,its a nice run,well we enjoyed it.

Morning All,

I was up the Thames on Saturday with this

DSC01124.jpg

left Lowestoft at 1000 and got here at about 1500DSC01119.jpg

We went up as far as Shepperton Marina and it is well worth the trip. The locks are not too much of a problem and there are plenty of stopping off points. Got to Shepperton at 2000.

Watch out for the parakeets from Eel Pie Island onwards

I prefer Limehouse to St Kats. St Kats breeds rats the size of dogs, the Japaneese tourist take delight in taking as many photographs as possible,and the place is expensive, been once, never again.

Paul

You had a decent day for the trip Paul although the coast was not as good as in land on our part of the coast it was NE so a bit cool but hopefully conditions were good for you.

Our ship was purchased from Shepperton so know the marina pretty well we had a few weekends exploring down there before it was shipped NW.

Have never stayed at Limehouse but can only speak as I find and last year St. Kats was very, very good. No evidence of dog sized rats at all at any time of day or night, rubbish collected every morning and everything clean and ship shape. All the facility's buildings appeared very new so whether they have been added since others visited I couldn't say.

The only negative about the place is cost but lets face it, central London locations are never going to be cheap and being able to walk 2 minuets to Tower bridge or the Tower of London plus really easy tube access has to be worth it for occasional visits.

New marina at Imperial Wharf does make sense for a trip up to the quiet side, does anyone know how long it takes to Teddington Lock from Tower Bridge?

"senator"

New marinaquote] at Imperial Wharf does make sense for a trip up to the quiet side, does anyone know how long it takes to Teddington Lock from Tower Bridge?

Hi Ian

Distance to teddington lock aprox 16nm according to my log, last year cost of mooring our boat at limehouse £25.00 per night.

limehouse could be a tad quiet for the teenagers in your crew,nice walk along thames walk,with some excellent pubs on route,

• 4 weeks later...

Havent booked Kats yet as dont actually knowthe dates we are supposed t be there can someone PM annie or I - as I am still overseas, tinterweb access is still very restricted.

As for stops, I wold still heavily recommend Ramsholt on a swing mooring and then Shotley for a fuel stop, both a stones throw of each other cheersbar

As I haven't been anywhere other that Southwold yet, I can't really make any sensible suggestions, but I must say that Gav's photo of Ramsholt last year made it one to put on my list. Maybe that could be incorporated in the return leg?