Newcomers Alert - Advice Needed

StevenF

Hi Folks, 

I am currently looking into visiting the broads next year but am I complete novice when it comes to all things boats/broads. 

We are 4 males (age range 35 to 37) that every year we look to visit a different city in Europe however next year we are looking to visit the broads. I have previously been on the Bradford on Avon canal but that's the only experience I have. The others are all newbies. 

We are looking to stay for 3 nights ideally over a weekend but have no idea about routes etc. Ideally, we are after a nice relaxing weekend stopping off at village pubs etc (not interested in the busier towns), hopefully book in a brewery tour if available, maybe play a round of pitch and putt golf and if possible, do some fishing (although none of us have fishing experience). 

We are happy to pay that bit more and stay in something above basic level

Any suggested hire comapnies, routes, attractions etc are all welcome. 

Many Thanks in advance.

Ste

1 hour ago, StevenF said:

Hi Folks, 

I am currently looking into visiting the broads next year but am I complete novice when it comes to all things boats/broads. 

We are 4 males (age range 35 to 37) that every year we look to visit a different city in Europe however next year we are looking to visit the broads. I have previously been on the Bradford on Avon canal but that's the only experience I have. The others are all newbies. 

We are looking to stay for 3 nights ideally over a weekend but have no idea about routes etc. Ideally, we are after a nice relaxing weekend stopping off at village pubs etc (not interested in the busier towns), hopefully book in a brewery tour if available, maybe play a round of pitch and putt golf and if possible, do some fishing (although none of us have fishing experience). 

We are happy to pay that bit more and stay in something above basic level

Any suggested hire comapnies, routes, attractions etc are all welcome. 

Many Thanks in advance.

Ste

Hello Steven,

Welcome to the forum. When are you planning to come to the Broads next year? This may well dictate what advice you are given.

3 Nights is not a long time to take in the villages & pubs, you may well best sticking to the Northern Rivers. 

Regards

Alan

• Like 1

Between Easter and The School summer holidays is best, less traffic on the rivers the weather is good.

But if you want fishing that puts it after mid June , so really mid June to mid July is the best time..

Oh and if you make it the first week end in June you can see 200 mad lunatics in their sailing boats compete in the 3 Rivers Race..

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, TheQ said:

Between Easter and The School summer holidays is best, less traffic on the rivers the weather is good.

But if you want fishing that puts it after mid June , so really mid June to mid July is the best time..

Oh and if you make it the first week end in June you can see 200 mad lunatics in their sailing boats compete in the 3 Rivers Race..

Thanks. Fishing was just an idea. We aren't tied to any particular time so just seeing what responses come back thank you. What would be a recommended starting point for newcomers.

2 hours ago, ranworthbreeze said:

Hello Steven,

Welcome to the forum. When are you planning to come to the Broads next year? This may well dictate what advice you are given.

3 Nights is not a long time to take in the villages & pubs, you may well best sticking to the Northern Rivers. 

Regards

Alan

Thanks Alan,

If 4 nights is an option then this is something we could look at but 5 nights would probably be too much based on our responsibilities back home.  I had June/July in my head solely for the weather but would prefer the water being that bit quieter which may not happen in the holidays. 

If visiting Norwich The Redwell Brewing Company tap room is within a fairly long walk from the yacht station, or Whitlingham Country Park moorings.  The excellent Coach and Horses, CHB brewing is also a reasonable walk up from the yacht station.

As already mentioned The Humpty Dumpty at Reedham is another good choice.

For pitch and putt I'm assuming you'd find something on Yarmouth seafront, but personally if your only here for three days I'd be tempted to explore all the rivers Yare, Waveney and Chet have to offer and forget Yarmouth. 

If hiring and staying on the North side then there is The Fur and Feathers tap and The Woodforde Brewery. I'd also be tempted to visit either The White Horse Neatishead or The Lion at Thurne. Both excellent venues with a good choice of beers.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

Maybe I read it wrong, but I struggle to see any other way it can be read!

I do agree but John is usually a positive contributor with some good suggestions. Maybe he will clarify his thoughts in due course. 

• Like 1

Indeed Lady V - just wondered if the John's were causing confusion. :default_biggrin:

I think most people like to be referred to along the lines of their aviator - as well as MM thinking of JM, Poppy Grendel et Al. 

I suspect John No 1 was maybe concerned about a group of 'lads' - some have been known to be a little on the wild side but I'm sure the OP doesn't fall into that category and we should of course offer every assistance and welcome. :default_beerchug:

• Like 2

On 29/07/2020 at 10:20, NorfolkNog said:

Indeed Lady V - just wondered if the John's were causing confusion. :default_biggrin:

I think most people like to be referred to along the lines of their aviator - as well as MM thinking of JM, Poppy Grendel et Al. 

I suspect John No 1 was maybe concerned about a group of 'lads' - some have been known to be a little on the wild side but I'm sure the OP doesn't fall into that category and we should of course offer every assistance and welcome. :default_beerchug:

Agreed and thankyou for your coment.  We are after a nice quiet break with plenty of beer stops. If I wanted wild id visit a city or jump on a plane to Benidorm

• Like 1

Yes but your not doing that in three days and wanting to visit a Brewery  plus with  hand over and return by 0900hrs.  with this lock down will you get a mooring outside a pub every time you want every lunch and evening time on south side. some very nice pubs in Norwich all with in walking distance. Plus you know where you are going. they don't if they only want a boat ride and JUST visit a pub or two go ahead and cook all your meals fine have a nice day  last year yes but now!!! John

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the advice folks. Its much appreciated. Like I said I previously I have no knowledge of the broads as I dont normally holiday in the UK.  I think we have narrowed it down to skipping activities, (apart from Humpty Dumpty Brewery) maybe stay abit longer and head for the South Rivers. Preferably in school term time to avoid heavy traffic. 

If anyone can recommend any companies for hire that would be great. 

Many Thanks

Ste

I only have experience of hiring from Norfolk Broads Direct (Wroxham) and Ferry Marina Horning). Had excellent customer service from both and found their boats comfortable, even some of their slightly older (and cheaper) ones. 

• Like 1

on the South 

Brooms are an excellent yard but premium price , Pacific again excellent and better value as are older but equally well presented boats , by all account Waveney River Centre are proving an excellent yard and although they are in their first full season at their helm is one of the most experienced and respected operators .

Also more basic but ergo better priced we have Freedom where you will find older boats again and a more personal service .

The trouble you may have is that as a group of four males not all yards hire to single sex parties and unless you’re very good friends you will need to book at least a six berth preferably even an eight berth 

• Like 1

If you want a boat that will look as good at the end of the season as it does at the start then it has to be Silverline at Brundall or Summercraft (who have rentered the hire market) at Wroxham but Brigecraft at Acle are not far behind. If presentation is not the top priority but a good boat and personal service can be found from Pacific at Loddon and Martham Boats. If Freedom at Thorpe is still taking bookings that would be a good option too. I personally in the past have usually avoided the big yards as they are a little impersonal but that is totally a personal preference. To be honest, unlike in the past, there are no bad boats to be had just different hirer budgets and priorities.

Fred

• Like 1