New Member And New To Boating

Ruthie1970

44 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

Note to self. Read things more carefully. That was "Pot Noodle" not Port Noodle which is an international trading port located in Timbo Madness Land. .

TML's new restaurant 'Not Poodle' opens this Saturday, special offer one for the price of two!

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Ruthie1970 said:

Omg hilarious, hope we gave u a wave ? 

A wave from the helmsman, who appeared to be on his own at the time. 

23 minutes ago, Ruthie1970 said:

Having a great time although a bit nerve wracking when mooring , hubby still learning lol 

As long as you take your time, no need to worry!  That is not what a break on the Broads is about.  

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Ruthie1970 said:

Moored at Norwich for the evening. Very helpful guy helped to moor us up :-) 

Any suggesting for tomorrow please ? We want to aim to be moored up for evening with a pub for tea and evening drinks.

How far do you want to travel? What time are you likely to be away from Norwich?

Very short cruise Surlingham Ferry longer cruise The Bell St Olaves or The Dukes Head Somerleyton 

both good places to head to Beccles next day

Never eaten at the Dukes Head but the bell is good with a nice garden 

Reedham as next stopping point? Tides can be "exciting" for mooring though, but as other advice says, come in slowly and against the tide and you should be fine. A ranger should be there to assist during the day too.

Sent from the Norfolk Broads Network mobile app

Further to my post how are the blisters?

You could crawl to the Bell (and back) from the moorings, the Dukes Head is a 10min walk!

I feel a bit guilty for suggesting a walk to Reedham from the Ferry yesterday!  😉

20 minutes ago, tim said:

Very short cruise Surlingham Ferry longer cruise The Bell St Olaves or The Dukes Head Somerleyton 

both good places to head to Beccles next day

Never eaten at the Dukes Head but the bell is good with a nice garden 

Good suggestions here. You could also head up the Chet to Loddon/Chedgrave. The White Horse at Chedgrave has a very good reputation. 

Also worth checking opening times / days before committing as some are operating reduced times and days, and indeed reduced levels of service at present.

Sent from the Norfolk Broads Network mobile app

• Like 1

Ahhhh don’t be guilty about the blisters Tim I’m as hard as nails :default_biggrin:
Thanks Helian we did Reedham last night , great outdoor entertainment at the Lord Nelson :default_dunce:

If we get stuck between Reedham and Somerleyton is there another place we can moor up ?
We are beginning to realise that every place we pass or sign post we see we want to explore but worried we won’t an get over night mooring !

I have a place booked for food and drinks for my 50th on Thurs at Beccles so was trying to work our itinerary around this but willing to jig this about if need be :default_biggrin:

Also should I be booking a reservation for our mooring in any of these places please ?

How about Rockland St Mary?

Rockland broad is beautiful, through and moor in the basin

The New Inn, very nice, bit ‘local’ but nothing wrong with that, only ever stopped for a sandwich at lunchtime but the menu is good pub grub, but a proper pub with a proper landlord and landlady if you get my drift!

A second vote for Rockland St Mary , a beautiful stretch of the river , unspoilt Broad with acres of lilies,narrow final approach to the village statue and basin , room for about 11 visiting boats , pub literally 20metres , really friendly local , food when we were there two weeks ag was pleasant , I had homemade fish pie , Katie homemade lasagna , be warned if you wish to drink to the early hours then they won’t throw you out .

We had a wonderful evening there with “mine host” , we haven’t had such a laugh for a long while 

The Dukes Head has a good reputation, but phone first.  I don’t think they serve food every day at the moment, but could be wrong.  I’m afraid you will have missed The Ferry House.  Best pub on the Southern rivers imho.  Friendly and welcoming, even in the current circumstances, with an excellent ‘pub grub‘ menu at reasonable prices, with good drinks too.  

• Like 1