New Member And New To Boating

Ruthie1970

If you are going through the New Cut from Reedham the only place to moor before Somerlayton is Herringsfleet BA moorings, but you can’t access any facilities from there. Nice and peaceful though. I’ve also read somewhere that mooring outside The Bell in St Olaves can be a bit tricky at times, as it’s just below the bridge and the tides are quite strong there so can cause eddies (where the river swirls back on itself).

The Duke’s Head, Somerlayton is a bit gastro pubby whereas The Bell in St Olaves is more your standard pub in terms of food. Both have their fans. Depends what you prefer

Its not that much further from Somerlayton to Oulton Broad.

• Like 1

If you want to be at Beccles on Thursday, have you thought about phoning the Yacht Station at Oulton Broad to book a mooring for Wednesday? That would certainly make a nice cruise for Thursday ... and don't forget that you can book for the Yacht Station at Beccles as well. That would be two nights you won't have to worry about. 

Beccles to Loddon will make a nice cruise for your last day too. Takes about 4 hours and we’ve done that a few times. I haven’t hired from Pacific but with it being so busy I wonder whether you might want to also call them and let them know you want to moor overnight there on Friday so they can make sure you have a space. Hire boats are allowed to moor in other hire yards so you don’t want to get there and find no room. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, YnysMon said:

If you are going through the New Cut from Reedham the only place to moor before Somerlayton is Herringsfleet BA moorings, but you can’t access any facilities from there. Nice and peaceful though. I’ve also read somewhere that mooring outside The Bell in St Olaves can be a bit tricky at times, as it’s just below the bridge and the tides are quite strong there so can cause eddies (where the river swirls back on itself).

The Duke’s Head, Somerlayton is a bit gastro pubby whereas The Bell in St Olaves is more your standard pub in terms of food. Both have their fans. Depends what you prefer

Its not that much further from Somerlayton to Oulton Broad.

Hi me again !!

We are in 2 minds about St Olaves or Somerleyton , little worried about the bridge at St Olaves so might chicken out and not go , is it very low ?

Which ever we choose do we need to make a reservation to moor overnight and is there a charge please ? 
thanks

Ruth

Your airdraft cant be more than 7'3'', so you wont have a problem with roof and screen down

You cant reserved mooring at St Olaves or Somerleyton, there isn't a charge

You can reserve moorings at Oulton Broad Yacht station or the Waveney River Centre a bit further down, there is a charge but not sure what it is

We moored at The Wherry Hotel, Oulton Broad during the day no charge, but £10 at night which £5 is refunded against food

It was very quiet there so cant see that you'd have a problem

At St Olaves there are a few outside the pub and others under the Bridge towards Breydon on your right

Is this a mooring for this evening or now?

Probably no chance now. but arrive 2-3pm you should be ok, as the lunchtime lot will be gone (or going) and the evening lot not there yet!

You shouldn't have a problem with Somerleyton, there are quite a few mooring down there, but if you want the pub best check if it's open as pubs are doing strange hour these days!

Enjoy!

Or get a cab, cant be that expensive for a two mile journey

As somebody that would melt if I was denied a visit  the pub   :default_beerchug: , I would check out The Bell at St Olaves around 2-2.15, if there isn't a mooring I would look to see if anyone looked like they were about to move, if nothing appeared to likely to happen I would book a mooring at either Waveney river centre or Oulton Broad Yacht station and head off there

I'm sure St Olaves will have something around 2.30, there was a fair bit of space when we arrived at 3pm a few weeks ago!

Good Luck

34 minutes ago, YnysMon said:

No, there aren't any other facilities nearby. I think the village shop and post office closed a few years ago. No other pubs in walking distance as far as I'm aware.

It did - about six years ago.  Unfortunately the sign pointing directions to the post office is still in place at the top of the lane that leads from the moorings.  What was the shop and post office is now a cycle shop and ice cream parlour (yes, really!).

15 minutes ago, Mouldy said:

It did - about six years ago.  Unfortunately the sign pointing directions to the post office is still in place at the top of the lane that leads from the moorings.  What was the shop and post office is now a cycle shop and ice cream parlour (yes, really!).

My younger son does a lot of cycling (up to 100 miles a trip) and his maps have places marked where you can buy bacon butties and others that sell ice cream - seems to be a staple diet for him and his club members.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Ruthie1970 said:

We got a mooring outside The Bell , last one :default_biggrin:

So I think we will stay here now other than The Bell what else is here please ?

Good question. 

At St. Olaves you can get your boat engine serviced, you can get your car engine serviced, you can even get your lawn mower engine serviced. What's not to like. You might find yourselves in trouble if you want to buy a pint of milk, but so what, given your getting your lawn mower serviced.

• Haha 4

OldBerkshireboy do you know what ,  we have sort realised you can’t plan a trip (and many people on this forum have told me this !) listen to good advice!! 
We are actually contemplating on Great Yarmouth tomorrow, is that a no, or let’s give it a go, go , go :default_biggrin: 

Its the hubby birthday tomorrow although mines more important :default_biggrin:

Change of plan again !! We are on our way to Great Yarmouth, hoping we have made the right decision. Called the yacht station who have told us not to cross the Breydon waters until around 1pm .Its the hubby birthday today is there a nice pub for evening meal in Yarmouth?

BTW The Bell pub was fab and food was cracking , proper home cooked food :default_biggrin:

• Like 3