Richardsons Open Until 28 November

Broads01

Nothing better than arriving at a mooring at dusk, putting the roof up, turn the heating on and then head to the nearest pub whilst the boat warms up. Go back to boat after a couple to find it nice and warm, have showers, wash up and then head back to the pub for dinner, having set the timer to turn the heating back on again 30mins before pub closing. :default_beerchug:

• Like 3

If people dress appropriately then boating in October and November can be a real pleasure, the scenery and lighting can be delightful, the lack of crowds a real plus. A decent pint besides a log fire in a riverside pub, life doesn't come much better than that!

PC268267.JPG

PC268284.JPG

• Like 12

2 minutes ago, EastCoastIPA said:

It's fair to say there's no such thing as bad weather, only unsuitable clothing! 

With modern fabrics and clothing technology there really is no excuse for not going boating during the Autumn or even the winter. Wind burn rather than sun burn!  

One surprise regarding Richardson's announcement is that the BA Rangers duties are usually and largely land based by November. Thank goodness for mobile phones!   

• Like 1

Boating in winter is lovely we've hired a few times in November on the canals and thoroughly enjoyed it. I think I would enjoy the Broads in winter. Only major problem we had was when we came back to the boat in the dark (it was only about 5.00 O'clock) to find the boat had been taken!. But that's a story for another time.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, EastCoastIPA said:

Yes it's still dark at 5am in the Winter :default_rofl:Case of forgotten where you moored the boat :default_eusa_naughty:

No it wasn’t 5.00am! That’s another occasion! We had hired from Cambrian Cruisers on the Mon & Brec canal (I can recommend both for anyone who can prise themselves away from the Broads), it was early November and the last week of the season so I’d arranged a late return of the boat on the Saturday to allow us to stay in Brecon for the last night. On our way up to Brecon we had to cross the Brynich aqueduct. A lot of work was already taking place here ahead of draining the canal on Monday for a winter stoppage. Trying to cross the aqueduct we got stuck on something. A little help from the workmen and we were soon under way. Thought no more of it.

Got to Brecon and went for an explore getting back around 5.00. No Boat! Have we returned to the right spot? Has the local youth untied it? Panic was just about to set in then we spotted a British Waterways Land Rover. So tap on the window and ask the stupid question ‘Have you seen a boat?’. ‘Ah, we’ve been waiting for you’, came the reply. It turns out what we grounded on was the bottom of the aqueduct which the workmen had forced up when pressure grouting the outside of it and they were in a panic to drain it as quick as possible. They had called out the boatyard who were now moving the boat. So we were bundled into the back of the Land Rover for a hairy trip along to tow path at times only inches wider than the vehicle.

When we caught the boat up, the yard owner – who was very chilled – asked if we were happy to boat in the dark. No problem, so BW took him back and left us to it. On we went. Our only concern was going through the one lock in the dark, but I said we needn’t worry and sure enough as we approached, shadows appeared and worked the lock for us. We needn’t have worried. By the time we reached the aqueduct it was lit up like a Christmas tree with generators running and workmen everywhere. We slipped across it and then to the next bridge where there were stop plank grooves. They had the first plank in before we had cleared the bridge!

• Like 5

There is only one real problem with November cruising and that's the danger of frost on the deck first thing in the morning. It is the most important time to remember the rule "One hand for you, and one for what you are doing." That one tiny icy patch just where you are walking is a real issue. Extreme caution needs to be used.  It is a time to think of the real possibility of slipping and holding on FIRMLY at all times

Having said that, as long as one is aware and alert to the danger, all is well.

In life there are dangers all over the place. We don't let those dangers rule our lives, we just deal with them. this is no different..

• Like 4

As someone who hires for 11 nights most October's, the disadvantage of shorter days is greatly outweighed by the ability of been able to moor at most destinations at any time and the weather is usually  still quite good. Not sure i would  be so kean on Dec,Jan or Feb.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, NorfolkNog said:

More time in the pub! :default_beerchug:

Hi Jean, yes really looking forward to it, can't wait! 

As long as the pubs are not locked down again, which I feel they may well be.

• Like 2

Yes, we had two weeks out on one of Lanngford Jillings Elysian 32's in January. Was a wonderful experience. Not least appearing at the bar at Waveney River Centre pub and the Barman having the shock of his life seeing us standing there. We had one daunting experience, We managed to get under Wayford bridge, only to find the following day to find the height woefully less than our minimum clearance, A conference in the pub came up with all manner of weird and wonderful solutions, including buying a couple of dozen folk a pint each to get on the boat, a suggestion to get a crane, all far to high cost for us to contemplate. We ended up 'carefully', stress very carefully demolishing the superstructure and manhandling the sliding roof all the way back to the rear. We were so deleiously delighted to eventually get under that we then rather foolishly, cruised all the way back to the Ferry Inn at Stokesby with one of us sat on the bow with a torch! I kid you not. We got back in the pitch black about 8pm and celebrated in the bar, after rebuilding the boat of course. One of the reasons we were so intent on getting to Stokesby were the excellent showers they had at the time. We had an absolute ball that fortnight.

• Like 3

I think Richardson's aren't the only yard offering boats in November. Way to cold for me but I can see the appeal of quite rivers and winter can be a pretty time of year. I'm sure it won't be there entire fleet as some boats really aren't suitable for winter crusing. Good luck to them if they can make it work, I would love to hire a commodore or commander and sit up top in the crisp winter sunshine. 

1 hour ago, MotorBoater said:

The website appears to not have caught up with Facebook. Nice idea Richardsons but why announce it before everything is ready ?

I've tried a couple of boats and November is still a no no.

I've just done a search using the home page booking form and it works fine. 

• Thanks 1

It's not working now. I've tried it a couple of time today, so perhaps it's still in the testing stage. I suspect it may be that it has to synchronize with the Hoseasons system (assuming they are going to be offered on there). Under normal circumstances, when a booking is made at either Richardsons or Hoseasons, each other's reservation systems are updated in real-time so that there's no possibility of boats being double booked. 

My most recent hire was last November from Freedom. I'd originally booked for late October but ended up going later due to my wife's health issues at the time. Daytime was lovely and I was able to have the sliding roof open much of the time. I struggled at night a bit because although when in bed I was warm enough I was very cold each time I got up. Next time I think I'd hire a boat with hook up and buy myself a low wattage heater. 

• Like 1