Richardsons Open Until 28 November

Broads01

We have always tended to hire boats out of season either at the beginning or end of the hire season and have always enjoyed hiring at that time of year. Picking the right boat without drafts has been the key to comfortable out of season hire.

With our own boat we have boated all year round in complete comfort. There are very few places on CRT waters that provide electric hook up so we have to be sure that our batteries are up to the job of keeping the heating running to keep the boat warm. We have it on a timer so that it comes on and heats the boat up before we get out of bed.

We make sure that we have decent wet weather gear onboard for when we have to go through locks in rubbish weather.

• 2 weeks later...

The holidays are now generally on-sale on-line through Hoseasons, though curiously not with Richardsons unless you know the name of the boat you want to book. I guess it will follow now that the link has been made.  Interesting that they are offering just under 50 boat types, whereas they normally have around 150 available to hire. So they have picked the boats most suitable, whilst at the same time, allowing them to schedule the remaining boats for the normal winter servicing. Really not sure how well they will sell,  though bookings for the October half term week are already well ahead of last year. I suppose it depends on the weather, as it gets closer. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

It look like Richardsons  have changed their mind(s) about hiring into November. All boat removed from Hoseasons and their own website now. Can't say I'm too surprised. November brings shorter days and can be really cold at night. It doesn't really capture the hirer's attention. Perhaps the areas of the country moving into Tier 3 was the straw that broke the camel's back. Other operators are still hiring at the moment though - Faircraft, Summercraft, Brooms and NYA Private Charter. 

28 minutes ago, DAVIDH said:

It look like Richardsons  have changed their mind(s) about hiring into November. All boat removed from Hoseasons and their own website now. Can't say I'm too surprised. November brings shorter days and can be really cold at night. It doesn't really capture the hirer's attention. Perhaps the areas of the country moving into Tier 3 was the straw that broke the camel's back. Other operators are still hiring at the moment though - Faircraft, Summercraft, Brooms and NYA Private Charter. 

We did think about going back on the Broads in November as we enjoyed our week just gone, but thought the cold, short days and long nights was probably a bit too much - especially considering the prices aren’t much lower than September etc.

3 minutes ago, 750XL said:

thought the cold, short days and long nights was probably a bit too much

We were of the same opinion. Had hoped prices might have come down a bit but of course they don’t need to do that to get bookings this year. 

19 minutes ago, SwanR said:

We were of the same opinion. Had hoped prices might have come down a bit but of course they don’t need to do that to get bookings this year. 

Had the prices been a bit more attractive I’m sure I could’ve persuaded the other half a week of extra layers and a sleeping bag was worth it - but it’s quite hard to justify when March/April were almost the same cost.

Either way, gives the boys and girls at Richardson’s some more time to give their fleet some TLC!

• Like 1

Out of season boating is vastly underrated. November is a brilliant month for boating the whole of the broads just seem so peaceful. No fussing getting a mooring or a decent meal even though the nights draw in it became one of our favourite times to visit the broads and still is 

Finny 

• Like 5
  • Love 1

9 minutes ago, finny said:

Out of season boating is vastly underrated. November is a brilliant month for boating the whole of the broads just seem so peaceful. No fussing getting a mooring or a decent meal even though the nights draw in it became one of our favourite times to visit the broads and still is 

Finny 

Got to agree. We loved being out and about on the quiet rivers last year. Now we have installed heating it will be even better not trying to always go for the electric posts

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, finny said:

Finny 

We love winter cruising on our own boat but it is set up properly for it unlike some of the draughty hire boat designs.

Would we hire in November? I guess we would but we would choose the boat design carefully and avoid one with sliding roof or canopies.

A boat, during the winter, can be exceedingly cosy and sociable. Turn down the wick on the bulkhead mounted oil lamp, warm your hands on a mug of mulled wine or old ale, get the dominos out, relish the company of a good friend, savour the flicker of candle light on the varnish work, relax to the sound of chattering water on the lands of the planks, the aroma of a good pipe, there are times when life has little more to offer. Not so sure about the glare of LEDS on hygienic white gel-coat though! 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, DAVIDH said:

Faircraft, Summercraft, Brooms and NYA Private Charter

Herbert Woods normally hire in November, not sure if that applies to this year.

3 hours ago, finny said:

Couldn't agree more. It's magical in winter. We would normally be out in December but with the current situation its looking less likely :default_crying1animated:

2 hours ago, Cal said:

choose the boat design carefully and avoid one with sliding roof or canopies.

I'd avoid a boat with a very large folding canopy area. However as mentioned before we hired Swan Radiance from Swancraft extensively in winter and latterly Humber Bridge. Both were/are very well maintained with no problems with draughts or heating. 

1 hour ago, DAVIDH said:

think if you were going to brave the elements on any boat in December, a Broom boat would be your safest bet.

Perhaps given the problems mentioned elsewhere I'd be a bit cautious. I've said it a million times, no one put more care into the builds as to what hirers actually wanted than Swancraft. 

• Like 1

Just out of curiosity, what’s the warm air heating arrangements usually like on hire craft?

We had Brinks Duet the other year and I assumed it was electric warm air heating which could only be used for short periods else the battery would drain. It was very effective and warmed the boat quickly in the mornings etc.

Just had Pegasus from Waveney River Centre and assumed it would be the same, but the friendly chap doing the handover said it was a diesel heater (Webasto?) which allowed us to leave it on overnight - not the most powerful heater but did a good job at keeping the chill out of the air overnight which was great.

11 minutes ago, 750XL said:

Just out of curiosity, what’s the warm air heating arrangements usually like on hire craft?

We had Brinks Duet the other year and I assumed it was electric warm air heating which could only be used for short periods else the battery would drain. It was very effective and warmed the boat quickly in the mornings etc.

Just had Pegasus from Waveney River Centre and assumed it would be the same, but the friendly chap doing the handover said it was a diesel heater (Webasto?) which allowed us to leave it on overnight - not the most powerful heater but did a good job at keeping the chill out of the air overnight which was great.

Warm air generally works well on hire boats for the saloon area but is less effective in the cabins in my experience. I think its because the warm air becomes less warm and less powerful the further it travels from the heating unit. I switch off warm air when going to bed as I've always believed it's not safe to leave switched on but I'm happy to be corrected on that. 

Warm air heating will always be diesel on a hire boat, but obviously it does require electrical power to run the fuel pump and fan.

On full chat, you're looking at up to 80 watts for a 5KW Eberspacher. It'll also use quite a bit more at startup to power the glowplug, but once running it drops considerably.

A healthy and well-charged battery will run a diesel heater for many hours. A flat one will not even get it started.

Where the issues with temperature can arise is when the boat is large and there is a single heater which is not located particularly centrally. A 40ft run of ducting is brilliant at cooling the air down....

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, SwanR said:

Swan Reflection is only 31 foot. Very cosy with the heating on in March. You don’t need it turned up very high for very long. Give it a boost during the evening, cruise for 3 hours each day and you’re fine. 

Radiance was the same Jean. Swancraft quality. I rest my case :default_biggrin:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JennyMorgan said:

A boat, during the winter, can be exceedingly cosy and sociable. Turn down the wick on the bulkhead mounted oil lamp, warm your hands on a mug of mulled wine or old ale, get the dominos out, relish the company of a good friend, savour the flicker of candle light on the varnish work, relax to the sound of chattering water on the lands of the planks, the aroma of a good pipe, there are times when life has little more to offer. Not so sure about the glare of LEDS on hygienic white gel-coat though! 

Beautiful description JM, I have that gorgeous image in my mind now, perfect apart from the dominos :default_biggrin: x

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1