4 nights in may 2011

ferryman

dear members its 7 years since i was on the broads my partner angelas has never been . we have chosen fair viscount as i understand it does stand a chance of going under potter . because my partner is new to the broads i want to show her as much as i can . is this possible ,i have this route in my mind , pick up the boat at wroxham , down to Acle to visit the hermitage ,next day tuesday make our way to horsey mere ,weds back through potter to neatishead , thurs make our way to coltishall , friday back to wroxham. am i being to optimistic ,i am open to offers if anyone as done a 4 night cruise ,regards ken and angela

Hi Ken

Wroxham to Acle is 15 miles, which is a fair trip. In May you will have light nights but depends what time you pick the boat up. Can be done but quite ambitious.

Neatishead to Coltishall is about 19 miles but shouldn’t be a problem as you have all day.

Please bear in mind that Potter Bridge is very much down to conditions at the time and there are no guarantees you will get through! Might be worth having a plan B up your sleeve. Good luck!

cheersbar

Guest DAYTONA-BILL

I think it`s doable, providing you can get under Potter Heigham bridge. Personally, i would`nt bother trying to do the whole of the Northern section in 4 nights, but take it leisurely and just go to places such as Neatishead, Dilham, Womack water Thurne dyke, Coltishall, and some of the Broads just off the Bure. You could make the first night somewhere like Ranworth Broad, then a leisurely cruise up the Ant stopping at either Irstead, Neatishead or Gayes staithe for lunch, then off to Dilham or Sutton for the second night, returning down the Ant, stopping off at thurne dyke for lunch and heading up to womack water for the third night, then back up the Bure stopping off at Salhouse broad for lunch, and then continue up to coltishall for the fourth night, returning downriver to Wroxham on the last day. Bearing in mind you are going in May means you`l have plenty of daylight to take great advantage of, so you`ll be able to do this route at a very leisurely pace. The worst way to do the Broads is to try and do too much in too short a time, because you are always on the go, and the place is always best enjoyed at a much more relaxed pace. I hope this helps. Regards, and have a great trip ........................... Neil. :wave:wave:wave

hi norfolk nog and daytona bill , yes i can see i am being a bit ambitious/ i have not been to horsey in a cruiser since 1969 and am looking forward to it . i know of all the route i have planned the pottr bridge might be a non starter i have checked the tide tables and no low water until early hours of morning . so plan b might have to come into it , do either of you know if ye olde saddlery has reopened ? regards ken and angela

Guest DAYTONA-BILL

Hi Ken, If you need ANY info on ANY of the pubs in Norfolk, then Howards yer man, because i get the impression he`s "frequented" just about every single one of them, and i would imagine on more than one occaision :naughty::naughty::lol::lol::lol: . Do i need a tin hat for the bottles Howard is about to throw at me? :lol::lol::lol::lol:

• 3 weeks later...

That is sad, Howard. Bit of a sign of the times I guess for the slightly more expensive "bistro" type restaurants. Places like the Saddlery and the Hermitage in Acle must find it even harder that the normal pubs I would think? Especially with the rise in good quality pubs like the Horning Ferry now seems to be.