Covid 2020 Tour

So, after much is it on? , is it off? I picked up Silver light from HW  on the day Britain opened up (4/7/20)

Myself , my good lady and nearly 18yo junior son travelled the 500 miles.to Norwich , the day before and stayed in a hotel , so we were nice and fresh for our week aboard.

Arrived at Potter Heigham  around 10:30 , but unfortunately the peop!e who were booked for the day before were quite rightly given priority, so we didn't get the boat until around 1330. Lathams , the tackle shop and burger van were all visited before we were boarded. A very quick handover , unpack and off we went. Beers were opened and headed very slowly to S Walsham broad . Due to the current situation, we had prepared a large home made fish pie , which only needed heated up for our first meal. This is unusual, as we always eat out on the broads, especially the main meal of the day.

Our favorite wild.mooring , just next to the small adjacent broad was vacant , so we set up for the night. Lashing to a tree, and dropping the weight. The night was warm, dry but dull. A lovely night of fishing and happiness was had. I caught zero fish, that's none , zilch, where my apprentice caught 18????. It was good fun though. Went to bed happy , and couldn't wait to wake up for my first full.day in paradise.

I'm rubbish at typing , so will continue this later.

Neil

• Like 8

So, 1st morning ,had some coffee and toast and took in the beautiful scenery. We had no plan as such, just follow the tide!! I had spoken to the bridge pilot the day before, and he reckoned we might get underwater in the week if we got some high pressure. So first stop was going to be Ludham  bridge. There was a stiff breeze , so you are never short of a bit action there!!

I was half way through a challenge to do 30 press ups for 30 days, so done them on deck while we were leaving the broad and posted them on a family what's app group. They river was quite busy but an uneventful pleasant cruise up to the Bridge where we got moored just after the bridge. Prime spot!!  Watched the goings on while having some more coffee and a quick visit to the shop. With the 🌞 now out, and wind not as strong, we sailed onto the gardens at How Hill and had a lovely  walk around them while the young lad stayed and fished.

More , much more to follow!!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Wonderwall said:

I had spoken to the bridge pilot the day before, and he reckoned we might get underwater in the week if we got some high pressure.

Oh dear, I hope not! I was hoping you'd get under some bridges. :default_coat:

LOL!

• Haha 1

From how hill  we headed to Sutton, and popped into the hotel to enquire about booking a table the following day. From there we headed up to Wayford bridge, where we moored just before the bridge, and set up for the night. All was going well, though not catching much fish, when a family returning from the hotel and clearly smashed , boarded their boat and attempted a 3 point  turn to head back towards Stalham. Well, they rammed my boat when reversing , not once but 3 times!! Now I'm not talking a little bump here, full on ramming me into the moorings. By the 3rd time, my language was let's say colourful!!. They eventually got facing the way they wanted, and carried on , just ignoring my rantings and gestures. Probably just as well. I really was concerned the boat was damaged, but on inspection it appeared to have with stood the trauma. It was out of hours , so I kept an eye on it , and decided I would report it to the yard in the morning.

I managed to calm down, and enjoy the rest of my night. A lovely peaceful night was had, and the boat was still afloat in the morning!!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Wonderwall said:

From how hill  we headed to Sutton, and popped into the hotel to enquire about booking a table the following day. From there we headed up to Wayford bridge, where we moored just before the bridge, and set up for the night. All was going well, though not catching much fish, when a family returning from the hotel and clearly smashed , boarded their boat and attempted a 3 point  turn to head back towards Stalham. Well, they rammed my boat when reversing , not once but 3 times!! Now I'm not talking a little bump here, full on ramming me into the moorings. By the 3rd time, my language was let's say colourful!!. They eventually got facing the way they wanted, and carried on , just ignoring my rantings and gestures. Probably just as well. I really was concerned the boat was damaged, but on inspection it appeared to have with stood the trauma. It was out of hours , so I kept an eye on it , and decided I would report it to the yard in the morning.

I managed to calm down, and enjoy the rest of my night. A lovely peaceful night was had, and the boat was still afloat in the morning!!

Oh how I wish Spain and the like were not shut down and all this rubbish could be over there causing grief instead of on our precious Broads.    Hope the boat was ok.     Disgusting behaviour,   they should be chucked off of the boat.

Just now, Hylander said:

Oh how I wish Spain and the like were not shut down and all this rubbish could be over there causing grief instead of on our precious Broads.    Hope the boat was ok.     Disgusting behaviour,   they should be chucked off of the boat.

I've been on the broads many many times. I accept that not everyone is experienced, and mistakes will be made. Add to that alcohol and bumps are all part of it.

This however complete disregard for any safety. Someone could have got seriously injured, and the boat could have been written off , I kid you not. Sturdy old boat it must have been. If it had been my own boat , I would have called the police, it was criminal. I maybe should have, it crossed my mind , but thought better of it, especially in the current climate.