First Night From Stalham

CherylL

If it was me...

I'd put as much distance between myself and Stalham as I could (not for any other reason than to try and break out of the pack!), although it all depends on what time you get out of the yard. Ricko's is a big yard and there'll be lots of boats leaving when you do, and all will be looking for somewhere to moor their first night. Local to Stalham you have Sutton Staithe which is lovely, Gay's Staithe off of Barton Broad is very nice too. Irstead (on the Ant just after you cross Barton Broad from Stalham) is popular, but there's only room for a couple of boats and they'll likely be no room. There's also the option of heading further upstream up to Wayford Bridge.

Paddys lane, Barton Turf, mudweight on barton broad, gays staithe, neatishead staithe, or down the ant, quite a few wild moorings, irsted or how hill, then there is ludham bridge, a lot depends upon what time you can get away and how far you can get before you have to moor up.

Just here just now and it’s taking forever!!!! Husband doing the safety check at the moment but we’ve still to load the boat with stuff and food shop (plus 3 kids and dog!) Thought we’d just go with the flow but think we need to be organised tonight. All very CV friendly but downside is no one really to ask and all regimented queues! 

Plenty of wild moorings on the way down the Ant, but you might be better with Ludham Bridge if you want a pub or How Hill if you dont

If all are full head towards Ranworth and mudweight, unless you have a dinghy, in which case Ranworth island and row to The Maltsters 

Sorry I'm either not reading / typing quick enough or missing stuff

Staying in the yard is an option, walk to Sutton Hotel or go into Stalham

You could try for Ludham Bridge, then go back to Stalham if busy, The Ant is very beautiful so who cares if you do it a few times. there will be room back at Stalham for you whatever happens

PS, tip with the dinghy, (I used to work as a kid that hired them out) step into the center of the dinghy and make yourself low hold onto both sides sit down and wait for it to stop moving before the next person does the same, make sure you balance the weight!

Good luck and enjoy

We always have one, there will be two different views on this!

Normally its just me wife and dog, we manage to move the dinghy before stern mooring, Horning for example you often moor on the wrong side but unless you swim cant get to the village or pubs, the dinghy is very useful

Perfect for the north, I wouldn't recommend many places on the south to use it

The other view is that it can be a pain to move (I've never found it a problem) just make sure its not banging against someone else's boat when you moor

It'll also keep the kids amused somewhere like Salhouse Broad!

Missed this yesterday but we usually head to Stokesby on the first night from Richardsons. 

Breaks us away from the pack of other boats leaving and usually means that we are a day or so ahead of them most of the time. We usually head onto the Southern Broads for a few days and then head back north.