Pre- Booking Moorings

PAULG

I can't cook while cruising around in circles :default_biggrin: OK from what you are all saying there will be somewhere to moor up even if it is using the Rhond anchor I'm just worrying over nothing.

I did intend to put plenty of food and drink onto the boat.

Begs another question how long do the 240v inverters give you on average (no hair dryers etc)

Sorry for all the questions.

1 hour ago, PAULG said:

I can't cook while cruising around in circles :default_biggrin: OK from what you are all saying there will be somewhere to moor up even if it is using the Rhond anchor I'm just worrying over nothing.

I did intend to put plenty of food and drink onto the boat.

Begs another question how long do the 240v inverters give you on average (no hair dryers etc)

Sorry for all the questions.

Inverter (single) allow 240v appliances to be used until batteries are almost empty. How long for depends on how many batteries and their conditon plus the draw taken from the batteries. BB webpage highlights the word Limited 240v use so take that as ok for phone/tablet charging and perhaps a laptop as well but as everything else is supplied (including hair dryer) I would think they all would be 12v appliances.

You may want to take your own seating for outside as I noted they don`t supply cushions and don`t be afraid of asking them these questions as I`m sure that they have heard it all before

• Like 1

Here's my list of tips for first time hirers, no doubt there are many more from my learned fellow boaters here.

• Use bags or holdalls not suitcases as room on board is usually limited.
  • Take food to eat on board but if desperate for a nice meal out on day one, plan to arrive in Wroxham early and dine out at lunchtime before you pick up the boat
  • Have some cash with you, notes and coins, for any moorings or waterpoints where you need to pay - most are free but you don't want to get caught out
  • Have an idea of where you hope to moor on your first night and your last nigh,t for ease of getting back to the yard in time, but other than that, go with the flow
  • If you cruise for 3 to 4 hours a day, as per the Skippers Manual on the boat, then your batteries should be topped up fine and you'll only need to run the engine whilst moored up if you want to use the microwave

Simples ... most people you encounter are really friendly and will help you out along the way. And don't forget to wave to everyone on every boat you pass. :)

• Like 3

9 hours ago, SwanR said:

Here's my list of tips for first time hirers, no doubt there are many more from my learned fellow boaters here.

• Use bags or holdalls not suitcases as room on board is usually limited.
  • Take food to eat on board but if desperate for a nice meal out on day one, plan to arrive in Wroxham early and dine out at lunchtime before you pick up the boat
  • Have some cash with you, notes and coins, for any moorings or waterpoints where you need to pay - most are free but you don't want to get caught out
  • Have an idea of where you hope to moor on your first night and your last nigh,t for ease of getting back to the yard in time, but other than that, go with the flow
  • If you cruise for 3 to 4 hours a day, as per the Skippers Manual on the boat, then your batteries should be topped up fine and you'll only need to run the engine whilst moored up if you want to use the microwave

Simples ... most people you encounter are really friendly and will help you out along the way. And don't forget to wave to everyone on every boat you pass. :)

Hi all,

Thanks for all the info much appreciated its the simple things like holdalls not cases pointed out in SwanR's post.

I wasn't too bothered about mooring up at the popular pub's etc but your reassurances help with not feeling I will be up the creek without a mooring for the want of a better expression.

I will ensure I take plenty of food/drink and a basic amount of fishing tackle.

Regards,

• Like 1

I use the folding crates to transport stores and some other bits, they can then be flattened down after you have stocked the cupboards, squashable bags for clothes, or unpack the clothes before you leave and put the bags in the car, and odd bits in standard carrier bags, which also fold down flat (or can be used for rubbish bags).

• Like 1

When we used to hire we preferred to store our (foldable) bags and crates on board so that one of us could finish off the packing whilst the other was helming the boat on our way back to the yard the final morning. But then, we don’t go solo like Grendel.

I suppose it all depends how much space you have on the boat?

Normally it's just me Mandy and Lottie (dog) on a boat with two bedrooms and heads, we usually take cases as they sit on the spare bed, we take a couple of days clothes out at a time and throw the dirty clothes in a black sack in the spare bedroom!

This year as we had our 'adult' kids with us we went holdalls and 'bags for life' carrier bag for the booze, and put them back  in the car before we left, obviously minus the booze!  :default_biggrin:

There were more 'life carrier bags' than holdalls by a factor of 3 or 4!  :default_biggrin:

Two cars, by big estate had me son clothes and booze and was rammed!

Daughters fiesta had her wife and dog!

Surprisingly there was a lot more room in my car on the way back!  :default_beerchug: 

• Like 1