Tolls And Corvid.

Are there many people who are not paying their toll yet? The hire companies had some letoff I hear. Was there a way of paying for nine instead of twelve months this year? We were moored at St. Olaves last week and used the BA toll checker and seven out of ten were not rolled. Was that intentional do you think?

Sent from my iPhone using Norfolk Broads Network

If enough of us can hold back sufficiently to cause the BA to have a significant shortfall, then they (the BA) can both reclaim the lost revenue for the period, AND increase next years tolls to cover their initial loss.

That increase will then go on for ever after and be increased by cost of living annual toll rises for all boaters.

WOW what a great idea! 

• Like 5

the hire companies still have to pay a full years toll for any boats they are using, no let up there, all I think that happened was the payment dates were shuffled around a bit to accommodate the late start to the season. same for private boats, if they are used during the year they will need to pay a full years toll. no reductions for anyone.

• Like 1

Hello all,

It's worth noting that the toll checker on our website is not always accurate and may not take into account if the owners have made payment arrangements with our tolls team. If you are concerned about an untolled vessel it is always best to give Broads Control a ring or email on 01603 756056 or Broads.Control@broads-authority.gov.uk and let them know (although chances are that they are already on our radar).

With regards to tolls, Grendel is correct that any hire vessels that are used during the year are still liable to be charged for a full year's annual toll, and it is only the payment dates that have changed to allow hire yards more flexibility in these times of financial difficulty.

Our Tolls Team have also accommodated some private boats in this manner and we have stated from the beginning of the pandemic that if any boat owner is having difficulties in meeting their toll commitments to speak to our Tolls Team and we will work with them to make the necessary arrangements.

During the lockdown period our Rangers and Maintenance teams continued working and undertaking maintenance/repair/dredging works in the Broads system. This meant that we were in a position to welcome boats back before other inland navigation authorities such as the Canal and Rivers Trust, who had to undertake safety checks (etc.) before they could allow boats to use the navigation again. The continued payment and support by our toll payers was crucial in allowing us to do this.

Hope that clarifies the situation a bit.

Best,

Tom

• Like 3
  • Thanks 7

16 hours ago, wombat nee blownup said:

We were moored at St. Olaves last week and used the BA toll checker and seven out of ten were not rolled.

If you have time on your hands then there is a lovely walk up to Herringfleet and another to Fritton via Ashby, both routes much recommended!.

How does the broads authority check all the paddle boards tolls? As they don’t display any markings.
I believe the toll for a paddle board is north of £30.00, based on the assumption that 98% are not tolled, would the BA not be better to reduce the toll to £5.00 or £10.00 and have a much greater % tolled.

Just a thought!

Sent from the Norfolk Broads Network mobile app

• Like 1

Most of the paddle boarders I have met recently have become members of British Canoeing for £40pa which grants them access to all waterways in England (almost 2800 miles) as opposed to £35.07pa for a Broads only toll (approx 121miles).

they do not have to display a toll number but must carry proof of membership 

• Thanks 1

You must have met some of the 2% Tolled, I have British Canoe membership, because I use a paddle board and a Kayak.
I would have to say the vast majority don’t though.
I wonder how many could produce a membership card this year as BCU didn’t issue any this year. Only via email.

1 minute ago, Tobster said:

You must have met some of the 2% Tolled, I have British Canoe membership, because I use a paddle board and a Kayak.
I would have to say the vast majority don’t though.
I wonder how many could produce a membership card this year as BCU didn’t issue any this year. Only via email.

We encountered a group of 8 or so at Rockland St Mary who were pumping them up behind our mooring , ranger launch came in to check the life ring was in place and moored up and went and spoke with them , being the nosey sod I am I earwigged and he asked them as to having paid tolls , they informed him they were members of GB canoeing and showed home something on their mobiles , they were all in their early twenties/late teens .

Family group at Gayes last weekend had one , she didn’t know she needed a toll when we were chatting (they were on a hire boat) and didn’t know she needed one on her home waterways either I have her a link to GBC and she actually signed up that afternoon .

The trouble seems to be that there is no indication of the need for a toll when purchasing these boards .

A simple disclaimer/warning at the top of the assembly instructions that Tolls may be applicable on inland waterways should be in existence 

• Like 4