New Inn Closed

OldBerkshireBoy

Was in there on 15th July and was chatting to the landlord, he said he’d just paid the brewery 4K and were asking for another 2 and threatening to stop supplies 

He said he couldn’t pay anymore  as he’d only been open for a week!

I hope that’s not the reason they are closed!

Shame nice place nice pub!

The New Inn is a lovely pub, high on my list of 'must visit' pubs. Unfortunately that particular pub co is not renowned for its generosity. I fear for the worst but hope for the best, it would be a pity to see those particular tenants  being forced out, thoroughly decent people.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

that particular pub co

Spot on JM - it's either Punch or Enterprise, I always forget which. Money grabbing *******'s

They would rather see a pub closed than show some humanity with the rent........now where have we seen that elsewhere in the Yare Valley I wonder..............

I can understand people’s frustrations with various pubcos and their method of business , however , a lot of the finance behind these pubcos comes from hedge funds which control many thousands of people’s pension funds which we all know are suffering due to the very low base rate of interest and have been for many years now , the only way these funds can operate is by protecting their “bottom line”.

When i was a licensee I avoided taking on one of these premises based on the terms and conditions of the lease , which actually included forced closure due to infectious diseases and pandemics, so as frustrating as it is those licensees you see on telly complaining that they still have to pay their rent were for-warned and agreed to it when signing their leases .

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, NorfolkNog said:

Spot on JM - it's either Punch or Enterprise, I always forget which. Money grabbing *******'s

They would rather see a pub closed than show some humanity with the rent........now where have we seen that elsewhere in the Yare Valley I wonder..............

My son and his partner took on a local pub nearly 2 years ago.  They turned it into a great village pub again

and have a lot of nice loyal clients. The pub is owned by Shepherd and Neame a local Faversham based brewery.

I have to say that the brewery have been good to them with no rent payable whilst the lock down was in force.  The

pub has survived by doing take away meals etc and is now back on track.  Without help from the brewery I don't think

this would have been the case. :default_beerchug:

• Like 5

34 minutes ago, CambridgeCabby said:

it is those licensees you see on telly complaining that they still have to pay their rent were for-warned and agreed to it when signing their leases .

True, but you have the benefit of being a knowledgeable and experienced licensee - many experienced landlords have turned their backs on the trade and pub Co's seem to rely more and more on newcomers who don't have the experience or the benefit of good advice. Hence the high level of churning in the trade. 

I have been out of the trade for longer now than I was in it for, I left when the ukgov at the time capped the amount of tied houses a brewery could have which gave rise to the Pubco franchises , most of the premises that we were interested in were these new pubcos and even then as a youngster before I would commit to anything I fully investigated and made sure I understood the implications of these (then new) leases , prior to pubcos rented pubs the profits were “shared” by the licensee and the Brewery with these new leases a new tier was introduced so profits were now going firstly to the freeholder (the pubco) then the brewery and finally if any were left to the publican ergo more slices out of an already lean pie.

dont get me wrong , I sympathise with the many publicans struggling in these difficult times , many (including The New Inn) have been able to take advantage of the ukgov £25k package to help them , and I hope that those in difficulties do manage to come through this.  

Like CC, I too was in the trade. But as a manager with Whitbread.

I was offered first refusal on the pub that I managed at the time. With the terms that Enterprise wanted for the premises, the term for supplies from the tied brewery and their tied spirits and soft drinks supplier.

The staff needed to run such a huge premises, plus other overheads meant I would be getting  less wages than a barman

So that is what it became a first refusal. I went into golf club stewardship after that. Regular income less hassles, great clientele. Happy times