Battle Against The Midges.

Cockatoo

Midges, mosquitoes, anything that flies, whines or buzzes hang around me and bite me to death. I can sit outside with other people and they are fine while I have a black cloud around me!

Is that a 12v machine Cockatoo?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, YnysMon said:

Just get yourself some Avon Skin So Soft. I know it sounds weird, but it works!

Really? Does it smell girly (asking for a friend lol)

Seriously, I get so many bites it would be great if it worked!

• Like 1

I don’t think it smells girly, despite the label. I’ve read somewhere that the active ingredient is citronella. I came across it when we were planning a trip to Scotland and I googled midge repellent. In my experience it also works against the horseflies and other pesky creatures that plague Meadow Dyke.

On a complete tangent, now that I’ve typed ‘pesky’...do others recall ‘the pesky mod’? I still miss his posts. (For newbies, the Broadscot Lounge’ is named in memory of him). 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, YnysMon said:

I came across it when we were planning a trip to Scotland and I googled midge repellent. In my experience it also works against the horseflies and other pesky creatures that plague Meadow Dyke.

My better half informs me that Avon have a few products under the Skin So Soft range, what would you recommend please?

7 hours ago, Ray said:

Midges, mosquitoes, anything that flies, whines or buzzes hang around me and bite me to death. I can sit outside with other people and they are fine while I have a black cloud around me!

Is that a 12v machine Cockatoo?

No it's 240v, I looked everywhere for a 12v one that was a decent size but no joy :(

• Like 1

6 hours ago, YnysMon said:

Just get yourself some Avon Skin So Soft. I know it sounds weird, but it works!

We use that but see below

6 hours ago, Ray said:

Really? Does it smell girly (asking for a friend lol)

Seriously, I get so many bites it would be great if it worked!

I don't think it does,

4 hours ago, CambridgeCabby said:

Fantastic stuff , used by the rangers in the U.S. Everglades , Katie and I swear by it , trouble is we often forget to use it !!!!!

Used by the Army lads in Scotland too but like you I keep forgetting to use it :(

Mozzies aren't such a problem in that they don't seem to inject the itchy stuff, I think my blood thinners mean they don't have to, but they do still prick me and I used to wake up with a trail of dried blood running down from wherever they've been feeding.

I've just checked and last nights bag was 2 house flies, 3 moths, 5 mozzies and too many midges to count :)

• Like 2

yes being on blood thinners makes you easy prey, after recommendation I too have started using the avon stuff, and after being eaten to death last holiday (daughter came good with next day on amazon so I had some for this holiday,  used a quick spray just before retiring and not been plagued so far.

• Like 1

I meant to post this earlier but forgot! We bought one of these last year and it is a brilliant product. I see this particular make is currently unavailable but there are several similar. The beauty of it is that it charges by USB and can be stood or hung anywhere, it can also double up as a lantern. 
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Waterproof-Repellent-Rechargeable-Retractable-Removable/dp/B072JP6RSL 

• Like 1

Just now, Lulu said:

Having been bitten to pieces this week, Ive ordered the Avon So Soft which should arrive today, so just waiting for the ding dong, Avon Calling

Mine arrived and it works! What a relief! Will buy a zapper as well though because there's always some little Rambo midge ready to launch a suicide mission to eat me! ☺️

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ray said:

That looks very useful for the boat, I must try to see if anyone else is selling them!

Amazon have quite a few similar items.

1 hour ago, Ray said:

Mine arrived and it works! What a relief! Will buy a zapper as well though because there's always some little Rambo midge ready to launch a suicide mission to eat me! ☺️

I have some to try too. The zapper helps keep flying things away from the dogs but I’m not sure they would appreciate the Skin so Soft!

• Like 1