Would You Ever Hire One Of These?

Broads01

I've just returned from an enjoyable mini break to Oxford and this morning I visited Benson-on-Thames and relaxed for a while at Benson Lock. When I first saw these boats in the distance, they looked so strange I couldn't work out what they were. As they entered the lock all became clear that they're actually motorised houseboats and they're available to hire from nearby Shillingford. They're powered by an outboard and electric is from both shore power and solar panels. Cruising range is between Oxford and Windsor. See http://www.campiboats.co.uk. Could these work on the North Broads above Acle (Ludham Bridge excepting) and would you hire one?

_20200808_203659.JPG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Very interesting. Not sure it would suit us. Or that I would feel comfortable with the attention it would be bound to get. But depending on where they moor it in the marina it might make an interesting out of season break. 

• Like 1

They do look strange, almost like they're adrift! For me personally it'd be a no; they seem to be focussed on the accommodation rather than the experience of motor boating. Sticking an outboard on a houseboat seem more for just to get from A to B rather than it being about the journey.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, YnysMon said:

They don’t look that seaworthy...sorry, river worthy. What’s the flow like on the Thames? I guess, at least you know what direction it’s going in, unlike our beloved Broads.

Pretty inoccuous most of the time being that it's non-tidal above Teddington, plus there's no open landscapes to catch the wind. I think it can get hairy when it floods in Spring or Autumn though. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Broads01 said:

Pretty inoccuous most of the time being that it's non-tidal above Teddington, plus there's no open landscapes to catch the wind. I think it can get hairy when it floods in Spring or Autumn though. 

When in flood the Thames can make the tides at Great Yarmouth look pretty tame.  In those conditions I suspect these would be tied up and unable to move.  Normal hire craft can be moved in some flood conditions with an experienced helm, usually from the hire yard, local knowledge and a few extra revs.  I’ve done it several times and It’s not for the faint hearted, especially shooting some of the bridges.

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, JanetAnne said:

Nothings new!

Wow! 1960, my birthday year! How come I don’t remember things being that shiny new in the ‘60s? Even in the the late 60s going on 70s it seemed all drab. Mind you...the mobile houseboat idea didn’t exactly take off, did it. Still don’t think it looked riverworthy.

11 hours ago, MaceSwinger said:

For me personally it'd be a no; they seem to be focussed on the accommodation rather than the experience of motor boating. Sticking an outboard on a houseboat seem more for just to get from A to B rather than it being about the journey.

It is a marmite thing and will appeal to those that feel cramped on a more traditional type of boat. There isn`t a huge choice of boats to hire along that stretch of the Thames now so hats off to them for offering something different. Web site needs an edit though, "Sail along the Thames" should be cruise along the Thames.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, JanetAnne said:

Yes, it is quite ugly by today's standards. No swept back sides, too angular. But it does have some good points. The all around walkway is especially safe for children. I liked the "patio" are at the back. Wait a minute, am I describing a Topliner? I guess that bull-nose front would have caused quite a bow wave, and the way the chap had to jump over the railing to assist his wife in mooring, looked like sprained ankle country.  (Loved the film though)

Pretty sure kris cruisers launched a flush type boat last year. Not as elaborate as these ones more a large day boat type craft. Built by the guys at Phoenix fleet PH. They seem to be growing in popularity, wonder if we will see them on the broads. I could see one pop up at the Waveney River Centre kind of fits in with what they do over there promoting the great out doors. 

Interestingly the BA have done their very best to get rid of ' houseboats' on the broads and the new planning regs state that a residential boat must have its own means of propulsion. This new design ( ok not new at all ) would be perfect to comply with the pen pushers in planning. 

On a personal note, as yet, I hope to continue to be able to more or less handle the boats we own but when age and health mean maybe having to move back on land then one of these may just forestall the inevitable for a bit longer.

Is it suitable for the broads. I don't know. In the upper reaches north and but some areas south???. Advantages are all mod cons, comfort and lots of room compared to a conventional boat of similar size. 

I think it's a case of Watch This Space.

Colin :default_winko:

p.s. It won't go under potter or wroxham bridges

• Like 2

When we were about a couple of weeks ago there was either a new or a beautifully restored Caraboat at How Hill - maybe 14/16' with a Honda outboard. I'd have got a snap but I was busier than a one armed paper hanger avoiding the muppetry.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, andyg said:

Pretty sure kris cruisers launched a flush type boat last year. Not as elaborate as these ones more a large day boat type craft. Built by the guys at Phoenix fleet PH. They seem to be growing in popularity, wonder if we will see them on the broads. I could see one pop up at the Waveney River Centre kind of fits in with what they do over there promoting the great out doors. 

Yes, just a dayboat and I think it has a proper hull.  They also have a pontoon boat that was around when I worked there, it’s been refurbished since though.  They are quite popular in the USA and can be pretty fast with the right engine. Interestingly the very first one was supplied by Bill Maxted in Loddon, he also bought some of the older hire boats back to the Broads.

Stumpy.

There use to be one here at Thorpe. It belonged to my neighbour. I think it had a Honda outboard too. It was the model with the controls aft. Bit scary if two of you were stood aft with the weight of the outboard, the transom was very close to the water. The better design was the version with forward controls. I think they made a great little dayboat or weekender.

Colin :default_drinks:

• Like 1

Stumpy, the Caraboats are gaining a bit of a cult following now (and not just at 45mph on an A road out of Norfolk on a bank holiday!), especially if you have a Dutton Sierra to tow it behind. Alternatively buy an old caravan off gumtree and mount it on a pontoon redneck style, anything we can do yanks can do better; maritimite love em or hate em!

JPEG image.jpeg

CC6918FF-6C02-4D47-91C6-C7715DA2419E.jpeg

• Like 1