Somerleyton Strikes Again

kfurbank

Bet if the bridge had to be left in an open position the lack of bridge signalling would be overcome very quickly by another means.

Really makes my blood boil when they don't open the bridge because A: they can't be bothered, as to do so would involve 3 men and a walkie Talkie B: It is not costing them anything in penalty's when it is closed.

With tolls soon becoming due and considering the restrictions imposed last year by the bridge I think it could be worth mentioning that from my investigations I undertstand that the BA has the right to charge these tolls by way of the Harbours Act 1964. However the act does allow for vessel masters etc to challenge the level of charge, or whether the charge should be levied at all under section 31:

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1964/40/section/31

Not pre-empting another season of issues- just out of a matter of interest you understand.

regards

Wayne

Guest DAYTONA-BILL

If you are LEGALLY entitled to withold your toll fee, and everybody DID so, resulting in the BA losing possibly close on a hundred grand, you can bet your bottom dollar they will throw the book at Network Rail and be billing them for the lost revinue. The BA will do NOTHING about the loss of navigation unless they stand to lose a sizeable chunk of their annual income. Likewise, NR will NOT be in any hurry to speed up the bridge repairs unless they stand to pay a sizeable chunk of their maintainance budget in compensation. Me thinks it`s about time somebody somewhere started to launch a legal challenge, or better still, take the matter up at Parliamentary level. The only problem is, HOW ON EARTH DO YOU GO ABOUT IT?.

Parliamentary level........if only the local MP showed any 1 interest, 2 knowledge and 3 passion to do something!!

If you read his website, his feelings towards the value of the broads are clear.........words are one thing though.

The crux of the matter as I see it begins with clarity as to who's noses are in which troughs, who makes the decisions and therefore where the buck stops........and who ultimately will suffer the most from adverse publicity............and what they will do in order to avoid it.

Legally-if all is based on history of a different age, it could all take forever.

What to do about it? It takes people pulling together.......being willing to act, add their voice, do what they can, whatever that may be.

How many people on this forum say how they love the broads? This subject was covered in detail last year, so why aren't we all as a collective adding our weight to the situation?

If this bridge is really going to interfere long term with the enjoyment of the broads by those with boats requiring a swing for passage.........as we have seen, people, reluctantly, relocate.

Maybe some think... yeah well take your boats elsewhere.......have they thought about the amount of money brought into the local economy that would be lost at a time where small businesses can ill afford to loose business? Then everyone looses out. Us boat owners are here all year, but we saw all too well how all craft were affected last year.

This is a new problem, with,as we know, more work anticipated over half term.......

Who is prepared to say, regardless of owning or hiring, river boat or sea boat,.........that bridge is supposed to swing on demand, NR are sticking two fingers up, BA are not being seen to act on the toll payers behalf........what can we do??

Sorry to sound blunt, but it's all too easy to complain and sit back while others attempt to do all they can. I cant see on the NR website any indication of when they anticipate resumption of functionality..........surely having the kit to repair signals should be pretty standard? If the signals on the line are dodgy.......close that part of the line, leave the bridge open, fix the signals...........or is that too easy?

Oh......maybe we shouldn't forget Reedham bridge has a habit of malfunctioning too..........

Had a chat to another forumite tonight, think he may have hit the nail on the head on a way forward.

As you can see from the post referring to Harbour dues, we do have the right of appeal. Not many if any can afford a CCJ against our names so maybe if we pay our tolls but make it clear that we are not in agreement with them and then on mass launch an appeal against their legality.

The appeal would be with the secretary of state so do not think we can go much higher.

I am livid at the way NR have acted and equally appalled at the stance BA have adopted, I do however feel that BA have made their decisions after seeking advice as to how much action is going to cost and have chosen to roll over in the absence of pressure from the other side (boaters/toll payers). the only way they are going to do anything about it is if they are loosing enough money year on year to force their hands.

As has been said it does require a large number of people to get behind it and it will only be those that can't make passage with the bridge closed that will have a case.

I understand how annoying it is to have your travel restricted in this way but I am wondering what % of river users are affected by these bridge failures.

I suspect it is a relatively low number so i'm guessing it would be difficult to raise a mass protest of witholding tolls.

Would depend very much on how many got involved. Just take a look up the creek into Brundal Bay and catch a glance at Brooms as you go past to realise that in 2 locations alone there is a substantial income to the BA, bear in mind that anything too high too go through is likely to be a bit bigger than your average rowing boat and also probably be tolling a tender too.

There are more than enough boats to bring the BA to their knees but will everyone get involved?

Would depend very much on how many got involved. Just take a look up the creek into Brundal Bay and catch a glance at Brooms as you go past to realise that in 2 locations alone there is a substantial income to the BA, bear in mind that anything too high too go through is likely to be a bit bigger than your average rowing boat and also probably be tolling a tender too.

There are more than enough boats to bring the BA to their knees but will everyone get involved?

There is a remote chance that I might be mistaken but .......

I guess the majority of the vessels to which you refer are used as "country cottages". The owners more interested in the bragging rights of who has the biggest equine stable below decks than actually navigating the perils of the Reedham rapids. :naughty:

Unfortunately there is a distinct possibility that you are right.

Each and every one pays a considerable toll for the pleasure of floating around on the Broads which, if they so chose to do, would not be possible due to the situation with NR bridges and the inability of the BA to enforce clear navigation of the waterway for those vessels that require bridges open that are compelled by an act of parliament to only block that navigation for as long as is necessary to allow a train to pass.

There is no question in my mind that as the agents responsible for managing the navigation they are also responsible for ensuring that anyone obstructing that navigation, for any vessels that should be able to use it, is forced to abide by any acts governing their use.

The right to appeal would effectively call into question the legality of the tolls being charged in relation to the service offered, if it could be proved once it would open the floodgates for claims of at least part of the toll to be returned.

From my point of view and I am sure all others affected, this is not about the money, within the cost of owning and running a boat that needs the bridges swung tolls are a very very small part of it, but to the BA they are a matter of existence, if the threat of these disappearing exists then they will have no option but to act.

I understand how annoying it is to have your travel restricted in this way but I am wondering what % of river users are affected by these bridge failures.

I suspect it is a relatively low number so i'm guessing it would be difficult to raise a mass protest of witholding tolls.

I guess with Christmas and all, the last half term may seem a long time ago, .......100% of river users were affected, and if such work is to be undertaken again, then no doubt it will again be during one or other school holiday period. We encountered 3 families in one part of a pub on one evening who had hired for the holiday, not been made aware of the bridge closure and had their river travel seriously disrupted as a result.

3 families who may not bother hiring again!! So in answer to your wonderings, everyone is affected.

As for tolls, Ian, im with you on that..........and if everyone who is a toll payer gets behind the problem, then surely everyone will benefit?

Not wishing to get involved in this particular discussion (as even if I currently had a boat it would be a long way from Somerleyton), but I do notice that Network Rail have now fixed whatever it was that was preventing the bridge from opening.

You just did! ;)

Not wishing to get involved in this particular discussion (as even if I currently had a boat it would be a long way from Somerleyton), but I do notice that Network Rail have now fixed whatever it was that was preventing the bridge from opening.

Thanks for that, positive news there.............so is it fixed and swinging, or just fixed? :lol::lol:

A little bird tells me to expect more of the same as we had last year very soon and possibly even worse. if the little bird is hearing correctly oil samples from the new bearing and housing are not looking good.

The little bird may well have got it wrong so it would be nice if someone in the know would pop up and confirm or deny these rumours.