Somerleyton Strikes Again

kfurbank

My little bird - who incidentally has been 100 % correct about EVERY other stoppage at Sommerleyton and also reported maintenance works at other bridges, as well as given a few other very accurate points has told me this;

EXPECT CLOSURES NEXT WEEK AS THEY STILL HAVE A WORKS SCHEDULE SLOT AT SOMERLEYTON AND REEDHAM!!!!! = Although this time there is major concern that this may have bad publicity and is currently being reviewed!!!!!! - Ouch - I've just got back for a few days 'holiday' and this isnt the news that I was hoping for!!

Oh and SMELLYLOO - You are welcome to come and visit my 'cottage', and whilst Im enjoying the sumptuous spleandor below decks you can have a lovely stroll in the grounds! - cheers

As for the facts - they haven't changed. NR are bound by an act of Parliament, BA are bound by weakness and a top heavy body of 'well-doing yoghurt knitters' and we are going to be stuffed for a long time yet!!!

Oh and SMELLYLOO - You are welcome to come and visit my 'cottage', and whilst Im enjoying the sumptuous spleandor below decks you can have a lovely stroll in the grounds! - cheers

Hmmm .... me thinks this may be a cunning trap to introduce me to Davey Jones. Don't you just hate the Welsh.

Other objectionable races are available.

:grin::grin:

Either that, or one could try and drown ones spirit with copious volumes of G & T !!!! Will have a word with the butler and the downstairs maid to ensure that your introduction goes without a hitch!! lol!!! - crikey missed reading the Smelly Bog and Rat Face stuff on here!!

Anyway, I'm going to get told off for carpet bombing off-topic entries soon! = May have to have a YouTube question moment instead!!!

I have a Friend who has been working on this bridge for absolutely ages. The first bearings they replaced didnt fit or were wrong, the next set failed quite quickly, would have been cheaper to replace the bridge with all the time and money casually thrown at it as its now cost more in conrtactors fees and failed exercises than to have built new

I have a Friend who has been working on this bridge for absolutely ages. The first bearings they replaced didnt fit or were wrong, the next set failed quite quickly, would have been cheaper to replace the bridge with all the time and money casually thrown at it as its now cost more in conrtactors fees and failed exercises than to have built new

Dan, Hi

Welcome to the NBN. This is certainly a most contentious first post!!! :naughty::naughty::naughty:

It is difficult to believe such incompetence exists, even with the railway company... words fail me... :cry:cry:cry

Although I'm sure others will find some to comment... :bow:bow:bow

Hi Dan and welcome to the forum,

Unfortunately that does not surprise me. Would your friend have any news on the latest oil sampling from the bridge? others that may know have so far declined to comment, which tends to make me think that the original little bird who said that it was not good news is probably right and we can look forward to more of the same this year, if not worse.

BA should be seeking assurances now along with preparing the way for a legal precedent to have the bridge left in the open position if it is not working, it is the only way that NR are going to put the required amount of effort into solving the problem.

Palomino Dan wrote:I have a Friend who has been working on this bridge for absolutely ages. The first bearings they replaced didnt fit or were wrong, the next set failed quite quickly, would have been cheaper to replace the bridge with all the time and money casually thrown at it as its now cost more in conrtactors fees and failed exercises than to have built new

Hang on, this is a third party account of an alleged involvement by a "freind"in recent repair work on the bridge. This cannot be verified and none of us are privy to the amount that has been spent on trying to maintain the bridge.The assertion that it would be cheaper to construct a new bridge beggars belief. How much would a brand new replacement bridge (probably constructed in Germany) actually cost at today’s prices Would it be less than the overall cost of repair. I doubt it.

More importantly who would pay for it? :-Network Rail, or should the Government stump up?

Lets be realistic we will have to put up with this structure for another 100 years!!

Paul

Really Paul,

Do you think we should accept NR ignoring an act of parliament because it suits them?

NR were a major factor in not using commercial river traffic to transport goods to the sugar factory at Cantley (reliability of Reedham Bridge), by ignoring their responsibility's they managed to ensure that there would be no one with enough power who cared.

given the 3 attempts to repair the bridge so far and the amount of labour involved the costs will be mounting up, without the figures I would not like to say one way or another if it was enough to pay for a new bridge.

What does concern me is that all those quick to come to NRs defence and party to information rather than hearsay are not prepared to comment on the current oil samples.

If the reports are true then NR will effectively shut the Broads to any boats with an air draft over 9'. Some may say good riddance but that will be a massive dent in the local community finances.

My little bird - who incidentally has been 100 % correct about EVERY other stoppage at Somerleyton and also reported maintenance works at other bridges, as well as given a few other very accurate points has told me this;

EXPECT CLOSURES NEXT WEEK AS THEY STILL HAVE A WORKS SCHEDULE SLOT AT SOMERLEYTON AND REEDHAM AGREED WITH THE BA !!!!! = Although this time there is major concern that this may have bad / negative publicity and is currently being reviewed!!!!!! - Ouch - I've just got back for a few days 'holiday' and this isnt the news that I was hoping for!!

Don't like to quote myself but for those who know, they will know my sources aren't wrong!!

Guest DAYTONA-BILL

Hang on, this is a third party account of an alleged involvement by a "freind"in recent repair work on the bridge. This cannot be verified and none of us are privy to the amount that has been spent on trying to maintain the bridge.The assertion that it would be cheaper to construct a new bridge beggars belief. How much would a brand new replacement bridge (probably constructed in Germany) actually cost at today’s prices Would it be less than the overall cost of repair. I doubt it.

More importantly who would pay for it? :-Network Rail, or should the Government stump up?

Lets be realistic we will have to put up with this structure for another 100 years!!

Paul

Making comments like that (might) make people think you`re on Network Rails payroll Paul. While i doubt very much i`l ever own my own boat on the Broads (though i can still dream) i would buy one that is (or was) designed to navigate ALL of the Broadland bridges, so this issue would`nt apply to me. However, i certainly DO agree with all the owners of boats with flying bridges, or masts and sails, that NR are legally bound to ensure the "Rite of navigation" is restricted for the least time possible. Also, i may be wrong, but i`m damn sure the Rite of navigation overules ANY of NR operating schedules, codes, rules etc etc. What really is frustrating is the fact that the BA are flatly REFUSING to act on behalf of toll payers, and bowing down to NR. Surely somebody somewhere must be in breech of contract whether it`s NR or the BA. I still say the ONLY way to resolve this matter is for ALL the toll payers to take direct action and force the issue.

Making comments like that (might) make people think you’re on Network Rails payroll Paul.

I can assure you I am not on the payroll of NR merely presenting a different point of view.

Yes it must be frustrating for those who own / hire boats with restrictive headroom, and that is why I swapped my sea going boat several years ago for a craft that has a headroom of 6ft 6 with everything down.

But I am also a railway enthusiast and have visiting the Broads since the mid 50,s and recognise that these swing bridges are:-

1. Significant pieces of railway architecture (there use to be 5 similar bridges but now reduced to two).

2. Have been important parts of the Broadland scene for over 80 years and to replace them with some concrete monstrosity which would transform the landscape for ever.

It’s pointless banging on with the usual conspiracy theories and allocating blame without access to hard facts. Until we get them, I am quite happy to sit on a quiet summers evening with glass of ale and watch trains trundle over a fine example of ingenious Victorian design.

Chill out, Spring is upon us!!

Paul

Guest DAYTONA-BILL

Maybe we don`t have access to hard facts, but that certainly does`nt mean they don`t exist, they DO. Have you ever considered we are, or could be, unlawfully being denied access to these facts by unelected beaurocracies because of financial back dealings?. It DOES go on, and the reason people come up with "conspiracy theories" is because history HAS proved that they are well founded FACTS. In this case, the FACT is the BA are wifully refusing to take the appropriate action against NR blaming financial constraints and hiding behind other forms of rhetoric. Personally, i think there could be some other reasoning behind the BA`s lack of action in many areas of the Broads, and that`s because they want to be bed fellows with the National parks Authority and see the whole broads network shut down to these sea going boats, and eventually see the whole network closed to boating altogether, with the exception of the odd eco friendly BA trip boats. But then that is only my opinion. It`s also worth noting the BA`s toll is actually a contract in which they have to ensure a great deal of individual tasks etc, many of which they just don`t do, dredging always comes to mind. So in fact, they are in breech of contract, but how many of the public have the clout to bring them to justice?, answer .. none. Perhaps if people who like to look at this sort of thing from a "different perspective" woke up and smelled the coffee, they would realise exactly what`s going on, or rather what is`nt. Regards to all ................ Neil.

Hi Wallsend, welcome to the forum.

May i pick up on two points-bridges of architectural interest......that swing and as such should thus be kept in fully functioning order, and yes whereas its lovely to be moored up on a summers evening, but over October half term many a hirer were severely restricted in their travels due to virtual total closure of this bridge to ALL river traffic......all the families we had met had been unaware of what they were to encounter. Such works were planned for half term due to fewer rail passenger numbers. Last years free passage was seriously affected for many, and whereas we all appreciate the need for maintenance it was taking the p1ss to be honest.

The bridge could be locked open and passengers bussed, it has been done on many an occasion and on far busier lines.

Personally last years closures seriously affected our enjoyment at some particularly stressful times. Its unfair to toll paying river users, NR are breaking the law, yet they show nothing but contempt in sticking up two fingers.

Frankly, if they'd rather avoid national adverse publicity.......they really should take note-it will be coming.